Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR9 & AR556 both in Pistol version, pros/cons, why & why not?

Feedback Score
    Yeah I have a few SBR’s from before I was Hip to the AR pistol platforms.... I ended up building a AR 5.56 takedown with the LEO set up & Law Folder as well as an AR9.... however I found a Sig Rattler PSB(side Folding) that thing come in at under 18” with an ASR Brake to run my Specwar762. If I take the ASR out it’s under 17” so that’s become my SHTF Pistol & hell I liked it soo much that I ended up with a Sig 226 as my Primary carry.... I guess it’s safe to say I got a Signess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Most of what is felt as recoil in blowback carbines is the cycling of the bolt, not the kick of the shot itself. And a lot of what is felt as recoil depends on the shape of the stock. If it pounds on your cheek, it will bother you. The recoil itself isn't that bad.
    I have a Scorpion SBR with the factory stock, which tapers upwards to the receiver. If you climb too far forward on the stock, that upward slope bites you in the cheek. Run the stock out one click, and it solves the problem.
    For the op, do consider the Scorpion; it is small, relatively inexpensive, and the recoil modest if the stock (brace) is properly adjusted.
    BTW, briefly owned an MPX; didn't see a huge difference in recoil (it is locked breech), but mine wasn't reliable.
    Also, be careful of state laws. Carry permits aren't hard in PA, but long guns can't be transported in a loaded condition.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    This post is so informative to me.

Feedback Score
    I’m also considering building either a 556 or 9mm pistol. From what I’ve read in other posts the 556 would be more harsh in terms of muzzle blast vs the 9mm. Also the 9mm ammo is less expensive than 556 which is a plus. In terms of overall length the 9mm barrels can be shorter with less muzzle blast (4”) and most people recommend an 11”+ barrel for 556. Is there a minimum length that a pistol has to be?
    I’m leaning more towards 9mm for the following reasons: magazine compatibility with my glock handgun, cheaper to shoot/stock ammo, smaller overall package, less muzzle blast, and if I ever get a suppressor it could be silly quiet, not like that is the end all be all.
    With that being said, I’ve recently started looking into 300 blackout, probably not something to discuss in this forum, but it seems to mitigate a lot of the issues when using subsonic ammo over 556, and it hits harder than 9mm. Op, is this something you’ve considered? The drawback is another caliber to buy.

Feedback Score
    Ducky, you've hit most of the selling points of a PCC. I don't see a percentage going as short as 4"; a little more barrel and forend gives more to hang on to, and picks up some velocity as well; consider 8-10 ".
    PCCs can be fired in ranges where rifle calibers cannot, and the bark of the rifle caliber stuff won't make you a hit on any range.
    Even if you don't reload, 9s remain amazing cheap; 50 @ $7.99 for decent stuff isn't unusual.
    If shooting the snot out of it is one of your goals, go with the 9.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How's the reliability of a 9mm AR pistol/SBR, either Glock mag or Colt mag pattern, compare to a conventional gas operated AR type rifle?

I have a 10.3" AR SBR and have become somewhat interested in the notion of having a 9mm one of the same size and more or less same configuration as the 5.56.

Feedback Score
    My 9s have been stone reliable over time. The current examples are a Colt SBR and the Scorpion with proprietary mags. Full disclosure; I shoot mostly 115 fmj reloads.
    Theoretically, double column/double feed is more reliable.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    A lot of useful info.
    Thank you

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    How's the reliability of a 9mm AR pistol/SBR, either Glock mag or Colt mag pattern, compare to a conventional gas operated AR type rifle?

I have a 10.3" AR SBR and have become somewhat interested in the notion of having a 9mm one of the same size and more or less same configuration as the 5.56.
    Are you thinking you will run a conversion block with your lower or build a second, complete gun?

My 5.56 pistol is less than a month old and I enjoy it so much I am putting together parts for a 9mm build.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post

I built my 9mm AR so take my experience for what it is worth. In the beginning, I had some reliability issues with with the AR9. Mostly failure to ejects with the occasional misfeed. After tinkering with some of the components and switching to a high quality bolt, it now runs flawlessly with any type of ammo I feed it. Great gun and I love to shoot it, but it took some tinkering to get it there. With that being said, I also built my 556 ar pistol and it's never had a malfunction.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast