Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for truth behind Federals HST 124+p

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Gentlemen:

I own an H&K VP9 and looking for a proven 9mm round for home defense. The round I am considering is Federals HST 124+p! For many years South Bend, Indiana police used Corbons 40 caliber 135gr. with outstanding
    results. I have read that South Bend is using Federals 124+9 9mm with similar results as the Corbon 40 cal. 135gr.. Please note that my shooting skills are very good --I just want to have a darn good ammo to up my chances of living another day. Does anyone have any knowledge on police depts. using Federals HST 124+p and the results the police are having with this ammo?

Other ammo suggestions are invited.
    Thank-you for your time & attention

SEMPER FI!

I think you're over thinking it. Any of the standard vetted duty loads from the major ammo producers will be similar these days. HST, Gold Dot, etc.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-20-18 at 16:47.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Unfortunately there are still departments that issue whatever the chief read about in a gun mag. It's not personal.

Anything cor-bon is a red flag to me, so they either got lucky or changed to real terminal ballistics with the HST.
    Are you saying the documented street results using Cor-Bon ammo are false?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    How were they documented?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    The Cor Bon 135gr .40 loads were known for fragmenting. So were most of Cor Bon's other well-known offerings like the 115gr +P 9mm (really doing +P+ velocities). "Back in the day" that was the optimal wounding mechanism as bullet technology hadn't advanced to where it is today. All of your modern big-name loads are designed to hold together at more manageable velocities: HST, Gold Dot, PDX, Ranger, etc.

Having said that, the 115gr 9mm BPLE +P+ is still highly thought of (have a few boxes myself) and IMHO some specific loads are just expected to fragment, but it is almost always accompanied by screaming velocities. I'm a firm believer that the 357Sig, originally designed to mimic .357 Magnum terminal ballistics, should fragment. Underwood used to offer a 125gr 357Sig round loaded with the Sierra JHP. It was HOT, doing nearly 1500fps from a 4" barrel. The Sierra JHP is an old-school cup-and-core JHP and is not bonded, so it would fragment at extreme velocities like 1450+ fps. Although I don't have a 357Sig weapon anymore, I do have 2 boxes of the Underwood load stashed in case I pick another one up in the future.

My current go-to 9mm loads are 147gr HST +P. The only .40 handgun I have is loaded with 180gr HST.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    To be perfectly blunt, I don't care about ANY "street" results. FBI gel testing has been validated against performance in actual shootings, it gives us a repeatable medium to test and improve bullet performance.

Cor-Bon wows some with velocity and ft-lbs and knock down power, not FBI testing. It's probably why I can't recall seeing any tested, and why I question the people that choose it.

I'll add a nice story about street results. A dept I knew some officers on were involved in a shooting years ago. unobstructed frontal shot, a 5.56 ballistic tip 55gr varmint bullet. Results were good, being unobstructed, but I still think it's a poor ammo choice and it would have gone poorly with even a minor intermediate barrier.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    To be perfectly blunt, I don't care about ANY "street" results. FBI gel testing has been validated against performance in actual shootings, it gives us a repeatable medium to test and improve bullet performance.

Cor-Bon wows some with velocity and ft-lbs and knock down power, not FBI testing. It's probably why I can't recall seeing any tested, and why I question the people that choose it.

I'll add a nice story about street results. A dept I knew some officers on were involved in a shooting years ago. unobstructed frontal shot, a 5.56 ballistic tip 55gr varmint bullet. Results were good, being unobstructed, but I still think it's a poor ammo choice and it would have gone poorly with even a minor intermediate barrier.
    Pretty much this.

There is nothing you can fire out of service caliber handgun that doesnt do anything more than poke a hole. Pick a round that expands robustly through heavy clothing and that makes it through auto glass all while maintaining the FBI 12" minimum.

Feedback Score
    I use Federal HST's in all my carry pistols. Been happy with all the others so far.

9mm's +p 124gr.
    40 S&W 165gr.
    45 ACP 230gr.

Still gotta get some 357 Sig. 125gr. to try.

If for some reason I can't get HST's, Gold Dot's are my next choice, YMMV.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Q4318.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Some dept heads might be remembering the days back when 147 didn't expand or cycle some guns. the 124 +p adds a bit of "oomph" to ensure more reliable cycling at the expense of a bit more recoil.

HST in 124 +p, 147, & 147 +p have all proven reliable over nearly 1000 rounds through a number of different guns for me

Wouldn't hesitate to use any of them. 124 +p would be top choice for shorter barrels while I'd prefer 147 based on expanded round size.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    Some dept heads might be remembering the days back when 147 didn't expand or cycle some guns. the 124 +p adds a bit of "oomph" to ensure more reliable cycling at the expense of a bit more recoil.

HST in 124 +p, 147, & 147 +p have all proven reliable over nearly 1000 rounds through a number of different guns for me

Wouldn't hesitate to use any of them. 124 +p would be top choice for shorter barrels while I'd prefer 147 based on expanded round size.
    Look at some stats. The heavier-for-caliber loads (147gr/9mm, 180gr/.40, 230gr/.45) lose less velocity proportionately as barrels get shorter than do the lighter, zippier ones. That is why I carry the 147gr +P HST's in my Glock 43 and Kahr PM9.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast