Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket revolver smaller than a J-frame / Ruger LCR but larger than an NAA Mini?

Feedback Score

Pocket revolver smaller than a J-frame / Ruger LCR but larger than an NAA Mini?

I think it would sell.

The biggest issue is the cylinder, right? So how about a DA or DA/SA revolver with a cylinder smaller than a J-frame / LCR but larger than the tiny SA-only NAA mini's?

Perhaps a .22 LR / .22 Magnum size (6 shots?) and a .32 magnum? (5 shots)

Could be built like an LCR with mix of polymer, steel, and aluminum for light weight. Or all blued steel to keep it classy. Plus another available finish to better prevent rust. A poly one would probably weight 8-12 ounces (the .22 would be lighter)

If such a thing exists I haven't seen it.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-04-18 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    S&W I frame. 32cS&W long

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I did not know about the I-frame. Thanks!

I'd like to see update of this frame size for sub-.38 calibers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

Perhaps a .22 LR / .22 Magnum size (6 shots?) and a .32 magnum? (5 shots)

Could be built like an LCR with mix of polymer, steel, and aluminum for light weight.
    I have a 1 7/8 inch SW 317 .22LR built on a J Frame. Holds eights rounds and likes Interceptors best. Super lightweight aluminum, both frame and cylinder. Feels like a plastic toy. Always loved the feel and folks like Greg Ellifritz advocated it for backup/deep concealment.

The bad news - It is a POS as much of the production run was.
    NAA’s product line has all stainless construction for a reason (IIRC], because aluminum doesn’t handle differential heating well. My 317 cylinder doesn’t like getting warm, such as from any rapid fire string. Needs ten minutes to cool down so I can open the action

For what it is worth, I recently picked up a NAA LR/WMR conversion. Not a track driver for me, but I was pleasantly surprised that .22WMR was so manageable.

Build a tiny, lightweight revolver in a low recoil cartridge and there is a good chance I would buy it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    I have a 1 7/8 inch SW 317 .22LR built on a J Frame. Holds eights rounds and likes Interceptors best. Super lightweight aluminum, both frame and cylinder. Feels like a plastic toy. Always loved the feel and folks like Greg Ellifritz advocated it for backup/deep concealment.

The bad news - It is a POS as much of the production run was.
    NAA’s product line has all stainless construction for a reason (IIRC], because aluminum doesn’t handle differential heating well. My 317 cylinder doesn’t like getting warm, such as from any rapid fire string. Needs ten minutes to cool down so I can open the action

For what it is worth, I recently picked up a NAA LR/WMR conversion. Not a track driver for me, but I was pleasantly surprised that .22WMR was so manageable.

Build a tiny, lightweight revolver in a low recoil cartridge and there is a good chance I would buy it.
    I use to have one of those. I DO remember it being tough to open but never knew why!

The trigger was atrociously heavy. So I installed reduced trigger and hammer springs. Still very heavy. (14 lbs or more, perhaps?) So I went lighter. Misfires. Put the heavier hammer spring back in and used the lightest trigger return spring. Trigger would sometimes fail to reset. Gone.

To bad, though. I'd shoot CB shorts, hi-speed shorts, and the usual LR out of it.

Feedback Score
    I just noticed the error in the subject!

Supposed to be revolvers SMALLER than a jframe/LCR and bigger than an NAA mini.

Feedback Score
    Taurus makes an M380 which is a smaller-than-J-frame size revolver.

Of course, it's a Taurus. So, y'know. If you want to waste $325 re-learning the lesson everyone else has already learned you're free to do so.

https://www.taurususa.com/product-de...egory=Revolver

edit: the one I handled in person was much smaller than the pictures make it look. It's a tiny little thing.
    Last edited by jh9; 05-06-18 at 08:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Taurus makes an M380 which is a smaller-than-J-frame size revolver.

Of course, it's a Taurus. So, y'know. If you want to waste $325 re-learning the lesson everyone else has already learned you're free to do so.

https://www.taurususa.com/product-de...egory=Revolver

edit: the one I handled in person was much smaller than the pictures make it look. It's a tiny little thing.
    They did a run years ago but I don't know if they are imported or made here now.

They shouldn't have chosen .380 because the 5 shot cylinder will be the same diameter as a .38 special one.

But if a person already has a .380 pistol and no .38's it might make sense.

I think .32 mag (5-shot) would be the best caliber for a revolver a bit smaller than a jframe/LCR.

And yea, Taurus quality...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah most rimfire 22LRs have crappy triggers, even more than a standard J-frame trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yeah most rimfire 22LRs have crappy triggers, even more than a standard J-frame trigger.
    That's also been my experience with .22 revolvers. Maybe a full size revolver like a .22 GP-100 is better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast