Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pocket revolver smaller than a J-frame / Ruger LCR but larger than an NAA Mini?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    How about a 5 shot 327 magnum but built smaller in correct dimensions for the cartridge. But with a enclosed DA hammer.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    How about a 5 shot 327 magnum but built smaller in correct dimensions for the cartridge. But with a enclosed DA hammer.
    Yea. Would add a little thickness to beef up the cylinder but very little. Cylinder would be longer, but so what?

Might be worth the versatility.

Although the frame would need to be steel. The shorter calibers would be fine with an alluminum/poly frame combo like the Ruger LCR .38.

Perhaps like the LCR there could be a magnum and non-magnum version.

Feedback Score
    LCR and H&R.jpg

LCR and H&R rear.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. The old .32 S&W cal. H&R (Iver Johnson design) is much, much smaller than this LCR .357 and even though it's all steel only weighs 13 oz loaded.
    While it could be lighter, and perhaps cheaper with aluminum and polymer, I think people would prefer it either all steel or perhaps a mix of steel and aluminum.

It could be a break top or standard swing-out design.

5-shots, 13 oz or lighter in .32 magnum / .32 S&W Long / .32 S&W short.

Or 6 shots in .22 LR, L, S.

Have a good trigger like that in the LCR. Offer hammer and shrouded hammerless. 2 inch barrel like shown and a 3.5 inch "tracker" model. Groove fixed rear sight with dovetailed front and option for dovetailed front and rear.

Blue steel / alloy with wood grips. Go for class.

People have proven they will pay $500 for a quality pocket gun. I think it would sell.

---I have no idea why the pictures are showing up twice, sorry. Maybe a nice mod will fix it?---
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-26-18 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Charter Arms used to make a small five shot .38 Spl revolver. I have one in stainless. I don't have a j-frame to compare it to, but it's quite a bit smaller than a Detective Special.

Feedback Score
    Make it an optional 4 shot .357/38.

Feedback Score
    I'm a little perplexed about issues with the alloy Smith revolvers; I've one that has never given a whit of trouble.(317) I've lightened the trigger with a different rebound spring (11 or 12 lbs; have to pull the grips to check), and the double action isn't hard to live with. Never had the cylinder tie up either.
    Got my daughter a Smith Centennial .22 as she was a little recoil shy. It's been no trouble as well.

But it is a point well taken about the old break-top revolvers. They are noticeably smaller than their J frame equivalents, even in .38 S&W, albeit with 5 shots. I'm guessing that is one of the reasons Taurus used .380s was for the shorter case and lesser pressure compared to a .38 Spl.
    I don't see top-breaks staging a resurgence, but a swing out .380 (did Taurus use music wire to catch the rims?) could be made to work.
    Moon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12