Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on training with your carry gun?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I believe that. I never broke a V1 TRS. I think it is an issue of flexibility, or stiffness. Stiffer structures don't bend well. That's my theory, at least.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    One is none... I usually buy everything in pairs so the wife has one too or it's available for backup. Unless you're running some outrageously expensive guns having a second one isn't really too much of an investment. Especially when you think about the amount of money for training and the amount of ammo actually needed to wear something out. I do keep common spares around for my G19's (have 3) and a few LPK's for the AR's. Other than that most of us have something else that could fill into the rotation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    I train with my duty gun all the time. Having destroyed a Glock 23 due to poor PM I am almost paranoid. I’m about 3k over the suggested recoil spring replacement and they keep saying it’s still good.
    Out of curiosity, how did poor PM destroy a Glock?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Appreciate all the input so far, especially the parts intervals. I have been rethinking my approach to training. Previously, I would vet my carry gun with 300 or so rounds of mixed ammo and then a box of range ammo occasionally, using my larger guns to train. I plan to spend much more time on my 9mm Shield to hopefully increase my speed while tightening up the accuracy a little. Shields are cheap enough that buying a second wouldn't hurt.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Appreciate all the input so far, especially the parts intervals. I have been rethinking my approach to training. Previously, I would vet my carry gun with 300 or so rounds of mixed ammo and then a box of range ammo occasionally, using my larger guns to train. I plan to spend much more time on my 9mm Shield to hopefully increase my speed while tightening up the accuracy a little. Shields are cheap enough that buying a second wouldn't hurt.
    Sounds like you're on the right path.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I just did a training session with my HK P30 light LEM, I don't shoot it enough to wear it out. I also carry a P30, again I don't think I will,wear it out. I also train with my Sheild in the rotation.

I train with full size guns mostly, but those are my staple of carry pieces. But I'm all over the board tossing in my Sig Legion 229 in my pants. I shoot a lot of different guns because I bore easily and it keeps me in the training regimen.

I know I could be better if I trained with just one platform, but that's not me. My full size P30 could maybe use a spring update, but I doubt it.

If I had a gun that started to malfunction, I would pull from carry group until it got upgraded. Buts I've been pretty lucky buying quality prices, mags and ammo.

If I just trained with one gun or maybe two, I would have a dedicated trainer (S).

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-01-18 at 13:49.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emt370 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how did poor PM destroy a Glock?
    Probably just let the RSA go waaay to long before replacing it. And ran it dry.

I know guys who say "my AK/Glock run fine without lube so screw it!" You will wear it out faster. I'll always wonder if the trunion in my Chinese AK wouldn't have chipped if I'd lubed it better early on.

Glock springs are cheap and so is lube.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-01-18 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    I have such a long track record of trading off a gun for something else that I like to put wear and tear on as few firearms as possible so the safe queens will be in pristine trading condition. I train with my carry gun: let one pistol get the abuse and the others be SHTF spares. That way if down the road I just have to have whatever gun catches my eye, I've already got near new guns to trade and not have to take the depreciation devaluation from an extensively "used" gun.

I won't argue my way is the right way, but I know I usually get tired of a gun long before I wear it out.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m a big fan of using a .22 pistol for practicing the fundamentals. I’ve found that putting good work on the .22 makes for more productive training on the carry pistol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Until quite recently, I carried a compact 9mm 1911 (3 inch barrel, 25 oz.). I practice with full size and weight 1911s in .45 (5 inch barrel, 39 oz.). The subjective feel of the recoil is about the same in both guns.

The idea of buying two identical guns is intriguing. That way you shoot the carry gun enough to break it in and test it; the clone takes the beating at the range.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast