Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G19 gen 3 (?) front sight change

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    Have you been successful with removal/replacement of a front sight, that's been glued and thread locked w/ 271? I'm guessing you used a heat gun, blowing down into the slide?
    I've never had a problem removing it without heat. If needed a soldering iron on the screw for a minute works from what I hear. 271 isn't that strong where it's impossible to remove, used on a lug nut probably a torch. A tiny screw it seems to be just fine.

The one to NOT use is 620, that is more of an adhesive, the following is quoted from Dawson Precision. Above all else I trust what they say, I don't think the difference between 262 and 271 is significant, but 271 is far easier to find.

For All Dovetail Front Sight Installs
    The Loctite 620 high temperature retaining compound
    "Loctite 620" is what we use on all dovetail front sight installs.
    Do not use on screw on front sights such as Glock, trust us.
    Do not use it on rear sight installs as it makes it hard to tap rear sight for windage adjustment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For All Rear Sight and Screw On Front Sight Installs
    Loctite 262 Threadlocker
    "Loctite 262" is what we use on all dovetail rear sight and all screw on front sight installs.
    It can also be used on well fit dovetail front sight installs, but is not impervious to gun cleaners like Loctite 620.
    Use it on rear sight installs as it makes it possible tap rear sight for windage adjustment, and use very small amount on set screws so they can be loosened to adjust.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    271 ....
    Thanks for this info!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    I believe that Glock switched from the staked style to the screw in style later on in Gen 3.
    Bully. I appreciate it! I thought maybe someone had fooled with mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12