Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington vs Mossberg Box-fed Shotguns

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    On the plus side, the weight stays in the receiver area and not further forward like the higher capacity mag tubes.
    Not much of a plus. Twenty 3" OO Buck weigh 3 pounds even. For any practical purpose the long vertical magazine is a liability IMO.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I think the 10 rounders are going to be the happy spot. Maybe 15
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Not much of a plus. Twenty 3" OO Buck weigh 3 pounds even. For any practical purpose the long vertical magazine is a liability IMO.
    I think the 20 round magazine is impractical. The five and ten rounders are where I'd think most would find maximum utility. Keep the weight on the belt, or chest rig.

I doubt if most folks are going to want to shoot a bunch of full bore 3" OOB.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I think the 20 round magazine is impractical. The five and ten rounders are where I'd think most would find maximum utility. Keep the weight on the belt, or chest rig.

I doubt if most folks are going to want to shoot a bunch of full bore 3" OOB.
    I agree but that was what I had to weigh without going to the safe. Remember I said practical,,, A battle that takes place in your bedroom isn't going to take more than 6 rounds to complete. I'll keep mine in an extended tube over a box magazine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I agree but that was what I had to weigh without going to the safe. Remember I said practical,,, A battle that takes place in your bedroom isn't going to take more than 6 rounds to complete. I'll keep mine in an extended tube over a box magazine.
    I would agree with the bedroom/HD scenario. As of yet I have not read any long term reliability testing, but I haven't really been looking.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I think the 10 rounders are going to be the happy spot. Maybe 15
    I think the 15 rounders will be, all my 590's have a 9 round capacity as they are so the 10's meh.

Be interesting to see if these take off among the competition crowd.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I found the Mossberg to be superior when I compared it to the Remington at SHOT shot. Just felt better, looked better, and seemed more like a design then a retro fit. The Mossberg is also double stack.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I found the Mossberg to be superior when I compared it to the Remington at SHOT shot. Just felt better, looked better, and seemed more like a design then a retro fit. The Mossberg is also double stack.
    Remington is playing catch up to Mossberg. Mossberg was first to get with the BATFE and got approval for the Shockwave and Remington (as well as others) have followed them. Now with the mag fed pump guns as well.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    While some people have said that a box magazine shotgun is a hammer looking for a nail, in actual practice it solves a lot of problems, and the biggest single advantage to using a shotgun in a gunfight is that the nail stays hammered.

Training shooters to transition to a pistol in the middle of a shotgun fight would be like telling cruise ship passengers to take to lifeboats in the middle of the ocean if an iceberg has been sighted two days away. Stay with the long gun in a long gun fight.

We are not talking about 3-gun competitors here; we are talking about real life, where running around leaving a cover position with ten pounds of shell holders dangling all over your shotgun like some stupid tactical Christmas tree, is just going to get you killed (or eaten.) Quite frankly, if the problem is not solved with six rounds, it is not likely going to be solved at all with the level of the threat or your level of training.

I have shot both the Mossberg and the Remington. I have thousands of rounds through two 870 DM shotguns, and I can say for certain - the 870 DM is the highest quality shotgun I have seen coming out of the Remington factory in literally decades. (I have been in this business for a long time.) The difference in weight between the tube-fed and the box-fed Remington is negligible; the difference in reliability is night and day. I have tested every single extension tube, mag spring and follower and have NEVER found a combination that was 100% reliable when shooting very fast. The two-piece magazine tube will usually hang up slightly with the second or third round out of the shotgun, resulting in a failure to feed and a resounding 'click.' Thankfully, very few people in the world rack the pump so fast that they will experience that, but the whole tube feeding thing is archaic, problematic and just plain slow to bring into action if you are forced to start with an empty shotgun.

My mags are color-coded, and I can switch from slugs to buckshot to bearbangers in seconds, and I don't need to fill my pockets with spare shells or dangle a bunch of crap all over my shotgun. The Remington mag fits nicely in a AR10 pouch or even the back pocket of my jeans.

The Mossberg on the other hand is bulky, clunky and, well ... just plain fugly. Life is too short to own ugly shotguns. The five round Mossberg mag is too small; the ten round is too frigging big and you would need to drag a cart behind your shotgun to store extra 20-round mags.

If anyone insists on the feel of a Mossberg 590 over a Remington 870, they should just buy an 870 and dump sand in the action.

Trust me; the six-round Remington magazine is a perfect size and a perfect capacity. It does NOT get in the way (like I initially thought it was going to do) and makes for a very clean shotgun, an easy reload and a compact way to store another 12 rounds in two pants or shirt pockets while hiking the tundra in bear country.

I am a traditionalist. I didn't think I would like the DM as much as I did. I now have two. One with an Urbino stock and a 14-inch police barrel, and the other with nicely oiled wood stock and nickel-coated finish.
    Last edited by Chickenhawks; 12-18-18 at 06:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been thinking about picking one up. I was skeptical of the concept, but I have to say Remington's video on the shotgun did a great job of making me want one. It's good to hear some positive feedback on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenhawks View Post
    While some people have said that a box magazine shotgun is a hammer looking for a nail, in actual practice it solves a lot of problems, and the biggest single advantage to using a shotgun in a gunfight is that the nail stays hammered.

Training shooters to transition to a pistol in the middle of a shotgun fight would be like telling cruise ship passengers to take to lifeboats in the middle of the ocean if an iceberg has been sighted two days away. Stay with the long gun in a long gun fight.

We are not talking about 3-gun competitors here; we are talking about real life, where running around leaving a cover position with ten pounds of shell holders dangling all over your shotgun like some stupid tactical Christmas tree, is just going to get you killed (or eaten.) Quite frankly, if the problem is not solved with six rounds, it is not likely going to be solved at all with the level of the threat or your level of training.

I have shot both the Mossberg and the Remington. I have thousands of rounds through two 870 DM shotguns, and I can say for certain - the 870 DM is the highest quality shotgun I have seen coming out of the Remington factory in literally decades. (I have been in this business for a long time.) The difference in weight between the tube-fed and the box-fed Remington is negligible; the difference in reliability is night and day. I have tested every single extension tube, mag spring and follower and have NEVER found a combination that was 100% reliable when shooting very fast. The two-piece magazine tube will usually hang up slightly with the second or third round out of the shotgun, resulting in a failure to feed and a resounding 'click.' Thankfully, very few people in the world rack the pump so fast that they will experience that, but the whole tube feeding thing is archaic, problematic and just plain slow to bring into action if you are forced to start with an empty shotgun.

My mags are color-coded, and I can switch from slugs to buckshot to bearbangers in seconds, and I don't need to fill my pockets with spare shells or dangle a bunch of crap all over my shotgun. The Remington mag fits nicely in a AR10 pouch or even the back pocket of my jeans.

The Mossberg on the other hand is bulky, clunky and, well ... just plain fugly. Life is too short to own ugly shotguns. The five round Mossberg mag is too small; the ten round is too frigging big and you would need to drag a cart behind your shotgun to store extra 20-round mags.

If anyone insists on the feel of a Mossberg 590 over a Remington 870, they should just buy an 870 and dump sand in the action.

Trust me; the six-round Remington magazine is a perfect size and a perfect capacity. It does NOT get in the way (like I initially thought it was going to do) and makes for a very clean shotgun, an easy reload and a compact way to store another 12 rounds in two pants or shirt pockets while hiking the tundra in bear country.

I am a traditionalist. I didn't think I would like the DM as much as I did. I now have two. One with an Urbino stock and a 14-inch police barrel, and the other with nicely oiled wood stock and nickel-coated finish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast