Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 carbine reliability confusion...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yep, 2 Inland carbines (USGI) and both have been 100%. I did replace the recoil spring in both. Have shot mainly reloads. The Carbine is not a firearm that you "tune" a load for, in that it has a narrow pressure operating range. For instance, using 110 gr bullets and W296 powder the max load is 15.0 gr. I did ladder tests and only 14.8 gr and above would operate reliably. Some guys report success with 14.5 gr, but that is still pretty narrow for any noticeable "tuning". I just load 15.0 gr and get decent accuracy out to 100 yds (max range I have shot them at so far)--hitting clay pigeons offhand at that range. I haven't even tested it on paper targets since it is more than adequate for practical accuracy for plinking fun and if need be, home defense. What you don't get from paper specifications is the universal fun factor of the Carbine. No other firearm is so surprisingly fun for everyone in the family from 10 yr olds to us oldies.

I have used USGI mags and the Korean mags and both have been reliable. I did shoot some commercial ammo but it's been so long I can't remember the brand--it was reliable as well (Remington/Federal/Winchester?).

For the same price you can get a Colt 6920 so it would not be my first choice for a home defense carbine. But if you already have a good AR15 the Carbine is a nice addition for pure fun and still practical for varmints or defense. Ultimak makes an excellent rail for mounting a red dot optic. Some in the family are OK with the AR15, but actually prefer the M1 Carbine for its lightweight and easy handling. Supposedly the Ruger 10/22 was designed to resemble the M1 Carbine and the Carbine is about the same size and weight as the 10/22. Easy to understand the 10/22's huge popularity considering the ergonomics of its inspiration.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Fulton Armory is another good option that I did not see mentioned yet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_ar15 View Post
    Fulton Armory is another good option that I did not see mentioned yet.
    I've purchased a considerable amount of M1 Carbine parts from them.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My CMP Underwood was not reliable when I first got it but it was not a top grade carbine. After spring replacement and some fussing by at least two gunsmiths it seems to be working. Now reliable with all brass cased ammo I have yet to retest with Tula steel case stuff. I have some GI mags that all work well, 4 Korean and two work, two don't, and one Keep on Shooting brand that does work.
    It seems to be important that the small short stroke piston be free moving and the action likes lube. Unlike my Colt AR15 and Colt Government in .38 super I keep the carbine clean for best function. The other two don't seem to care.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I believe the original intent was M1 Carbine magazines were to be disposable like M1 Garand clips. Once empty, leave it on the ground.

I have had the best luck with recent reproduction 15 and 30 round magazines manufactured in Korea.
    Yes, I heard this bit of info. Seems GI's on the front lines liked the carbine just fine but considered the mags disposable.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Yes, I heard this bit of info. Seems GI's on the front lines liked the carbine just fine but considered the mags disposable.
    I remember Hackathorn talking about the M1 Carbine in class and telling a story of a small group of soldiers in WW2 that preferred the gun and did fine work with them. They figured out that the magazine (like many guns) was the weak link. Rather than give up the gun, they made it a weekly Sunday ritual to take the mags that they had been using that week, pound them flat and load up fresh mags for the week.

T2C hit the nail on the head:

Original war production guns are good, but are hindered by time/wear
    Commercial reproductions don't have a good track record. Fulton Armory's are supposedly safe bets, but most balk at it due to the price (and lack of understanding that an M1 Carbine can't be churned out like an AR or Ruger 10/22).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    I remember Hackathorn talking about the M1 Carbine in class and telling a story of a small group of soldiers in WW2 that preferred the gun and did fine work with them. They figured out that the magazine (like many guns) was the weak link. Rather than give up the gun, they made it a weekly Sunday ritual to take the mags that they had been using that week, pound them flat and load up fresh mags for the week.

T2C hit the nail on the head:

Original war production guns are good, but are hindered by time/wear
    Commercial reproductions don't have a good track record. Fulton Armory's are supposedly safe bets, but most balk at it due to the price (and lack of understanding that an M1 Carbine can't be churned out like an AR or Ruger 10/22).
    KEN HACKATHORN ON THE M1 CARBINE: REPUTATION VS REALITY

https://www.full30.com/video/0779a1a...9250875167173c

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post

Thank you sir, I always cherish listening to that man talk guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post

Interesting when hearing the excuses for semi-auto bans due to self loading rifles not being popular during (insert decade).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch has a superb video of himself shooting an Inland that was given to him for his birthday by his wife. He LOVES it, and had only good things to say about it. Maybe someone can link that for me please.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast