Thread: She Lives!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

She Lives!!!

So after about a year of gathering parts and tools, I finally finished my first AR build. It's not meant to be a DMR or anything like that. In fact, I haven't even shot it through the sights. I've fired a grand total of five rounds through it to make sure it works.

For my first shots, I used Federal XM193--not for any specific reason other than that's what the LGS had on hand. I had smooth and flawless function with each round. Granted, five shots aren't necessarily a sure bet for anything, but at least I know I put everything in pretty much the right spot...I think. I don't know, I've never actually had to test-fire anything not assembled by a factory. Regardless, the first five shots were great.

I wanted to build something that (I believe) will last. The only things I "cheaped" out on (meaning I used generic parts) were some of the standard, small stuff. My parts list is as follows:

Lower:

Sons of Liberty Gun Works (SOLGW) stripped M4 Lower
    SOLGW lower parts kit (Blaster Starter Kit)
    ALG Advanced Combat Trigger
    Primary Arms carbine buffer
    DSG Arms receiver extension
    DSG Arms buffer spring
    Battle Arms Development--Ambi Safety Selector
    Magpul enhanced trigger guard
    Magpul MOE grip
    Magpul MOE stock

Upper:

SOLGW stripped M4 upper
    SOLGW upper parts kit
    Faxon 16" gunner profile nitride barrel; mid-gas
    Faxon nitride bolt carrier group (factory head-spaced, purchased as set)
    Faxon ultra-low profile gas block (purchased as set)
    Faxon mid-length gas tube (purchased as set)
    ALG 15" EMR hanguard
    Primary Weapon Systems FSC556 Mod 2 muzzle device
    Strike Industries latchless charging handle

Once I get some more time and ammo, I'll probably finish Faxon's break-in recommendations. Then I'm going to try and work her out a little bit. I might even put some color on her too.

ETA: The only assembly hiccup was that I stripped the head of one of the screws attaching the handguard to the barrel nut.

AR15 Build.jpg
    Last edited by echo5whiskey; 05-05-18 at 20:33. Reason: Additional information
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Very nice......if ya contact ALG and explain you stripped a screw head, they will send you replacements
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. I'll have to do that...once I get it out.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Nice build. I have heard good things about the gunner barrel. Once thing to consider would be one of Black River Tactical's gas block insert as the gas port on the larger side at .081. I would take it down to. 076- .078 for optimal function. If you don't do that an h or H2 buffer will help

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep it in mind. I haven't had a chance to see how she handles with rapid fire yet, so I'll cross that bridge if it comes up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Nice build. I have heard good things about the gunner barrel. Once thing to consider would be one of Black River Tactical's gas block insert as the gas port on the larger side at .081. I would take it down to. 076- .078 for optimal function. If you don't do that an h or H2 buffer will help
    The AR should already have an H, or better yet, an H2 buffer. Carbine weight buffers are too light and she lacking in carrier bounce control.

Good looking rifle, Echo. I like the background in your photo
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-05-18 at 11:46.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The AR should already have an H, or better yet, an H2 buffer. Carbine weight buffers are too light and she lacking in carrier bounce control.

Good looking rifle, Echo. I like the background in your photo
    That's what I was saying. In his lower build list he has a carbine buffer. With our without the gas block insert I would at least run an h preferably H2 buffer