Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How to build a Jeep CJ7 bug out vehicle.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Good stuff, keep up the great work. Nice looking pooch too! Used to have an 06 LJ Rubicon before I sold to build something for going fast in the desert.

Feedback Score
    Here she is in her work clothes...

You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    This is the CJ5 I got the engine, trans, and axles out of. I built a dog box for her to lay in as she was too big to lay in the plastic racing buckets that it came with it when I got it. I'll do a similar set-up with the CJ7, but better executed, as I'm taking my time with this build.

I will get an upgrade too. I'm going with a suspension seat.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    This is the CJ5 I got the engine, trans, and axles out of. I built a dog box for her to lay in as she was too big to lay in the plastic racing buckets that it came with it when I got it. I'll do a similar set-up with the CJ7, but better executed, as I'm taking my time with this build.

I will get an upgrade too. I'm going with a suspension seat.
    Good dag!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Keep up the good work. I enjoy seeing the progress.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Seeing as how I'm getting ready to get the shock towers welded on the frame, and the tabs on the axles, I figured I'd go ahead, and get the motor mounts, and trans mount on as well.

Finances continue to be a stumbling block, and I have decided to forego the idea of swapping to the Dana 300. The Dana 20 was working when I pulled it, I'll just keep using it, and save the expense of having to buy new output shafts, and adapters... Either way, I want to get both the trans and T-case gone through to make sure everything is 100%. Just because I was driving the CJ5 before I tore it down, doesn't mean I won't put these same components in the CJ7, only to have them go south in 6 months...

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there are signs of abuse... Somebody has been beating on the shift rails.

Then I remember even though it did work, it was difficult to shift at times. It had a twin stick cable shifter (supposedly newly installed) but I never could get it to work independently. Just regular 4 high, or 4 low. Something for the trans guy to check on. I'll be dropping it off Tuesday, along with a spare Dana 20 that came with the CJ5 back when I first got it. The "spare" has a broken rear output shaft, but most of the other parts should be good, including the shift rails.

I'm going to try to have a transmission mount fabbed up using the stock skidplate as the base, but if need be I can have a new crossmember built. The one it was mounted with in the CJ5 had to be cut out. I was a huge piece, welded in, hung real low, and the engine & trans were both mounted solid, with no rubber mounts. Not how I want it done.

Once I get these back I can get the welder over here. That should be all the welding I'll need til it's time for the cage.

But of course something will come up...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Love the dog pic.

I believe the reason the shock towers are mounted that way from the factory is to help with spring wrap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
    Love the dog pic.

I believe the reason the shock towers are mounted that way from the factory is to help with spring wrap.
    I was thinking that was the case but I wasn't sure. I don't want to rely on a shock for that. I'll be adding a traction bar.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Transmission, and 2 Dana 20s off to the trans guy. Hopefully he won't take too long to freshen them up, and they can get put in their new home... He said he was busy as hell, but I'm not too worried. Wife already reminded me that Christmas is coming, so I probably won't get much (if any) money this month for Jeep parts... or gun parts... or ammo... or anything cool.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Transmission, and 2 Dana 20s off to the trans guy. Hopefully he won't take too long to freshen them up, and they can get put in their new home... He said he was busy as hell, but I'm not too worried. Wife already reminded me that Christmas is coming, so I probably won't get much (if any) money this month for Jeep parts... or gun parts... or ammo... or anything cool.

Love that Marauder!

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast