Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How to build a Jeep CJ7 bug out vehicle.

Feedback Score
    After much internet searching... I managed to get a "new" tub home for the build so I don't have to mess with all the rust issues. This one has been all over the country. It's out of Utah. I found it online on a Facebook Jeep page from a guy in Colorado. So we strike a deal, and he's bringing it to me... only he blows up the engine in his truck in Kansas. It gets towed to a diesel shop in Nebraska, and that's where I end up having to go get it myself. At least I got out of flooded Indiana for 3 days.

You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Once back home, it was time for the old engine to come out.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Trans, and T-case came out...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Last but not least, the suspension came off....

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Took off the front spring front shackle mounts. Did some cutting and grinding to get the rear spring mounts for the front springs off the frame too., One easy, one a PITA. Got the I-6 motor mounts off.

Started to take off the steering box off and one of the bolts snapped off in the frame. This is gonna be a real PITA. These bolts go right into the boxed frame. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

The steering box will get replaced with a fresh unit, and I could just weld a short bead at that last bolt hole location (it's the rear hole) but I want to keep so it can be removed again if need be.

I hate wrenching on a bare frame. These rusty bolts are on so tight, and the frame has no weight, so it just wobbles around on the jack stands...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Got the old spring mounts off, then I got busy with some other stuff for a while...

Once I got some parts delivered this, it was back at it. The Dave's Unlimited full size axle kit came in first. It's a well made kit, but will need slight modification. It is designed to hang a Ford or Chevy front axle under a CJ. I just happened to have a Dana 44 out of a Dodge truck, that is a bit wider. I'll need to put a 3/8" spacer plate between the new Dave's mount and the frame when I bolt it in for good. The rear mount will have to be cut and widened as it made to sandwich the frame. It also has gusset plates to be welded in after it gets bolted in place, so my welder guy will be doing that.

Today I did some grinding of the frame to get off the leftover parts where I cut the front main spring mount off. Drilled into the frame for the first time on the build. Nerve wracking for an amateur, but I got them relatively straight. Speaking of nerves... the nerve damage in my neck haunted me, with my weak grip. I lost control of the drill when the bit caught. It twisted right out of my hands and I snapped off the 1/2" bit... in the frame. Thank God the hole was almost done, and I was able to just bang the broken piece inside the frame. Still have to enlarge the holes on the outside of the frame to 3/4" to allow for the spacers, but I was too sore to try that tonight. I'm using 1.5" lift Rubicon Express spring over YJ springs. I am supposed to make the spring eyes 44" apart, but could only move the rear bracket enough to get 43 1/2". Close enough for me... It already has to be widened 3/8" to fit the Dodge Dana 44, and I didn't want to have to get into the body mount too, so here it will sit.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Video intro I did prior to teardown...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Last run of the Dodge 360... Can't wait to hear it again...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are you mocking all that buildup so far, or are you going to skip cleaning up the frame? Seems a shame to skip it at this point. Very cool blog, and I look forward to updates! I have the same kinds of disability and understand how frustrating it is to have to take your time, but in the interest of acheiving the goal, please do so!

Feedback Score
    This is just mock up. I need to get the frame outside to blast it. I ain't having all that sand all over the garage, but it will disappear on the gravel driveway. It's all getting fresh paint. I'm doing it up as a military tribute of sorts. It should have the look of a souped up CJ7 version of an M38A1. I'm doing it in desert sand like our vehicles we had in Iraq, but with the old style markings. The bumper numbers will be from my first tank in my first unit out of basic. L trp 3/2nd ACR Amberg West Germany, 1981-83.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 05-07-18 at 08:46.

Their dogs.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast