Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to build a Jeep CJ7 bug out vehicle.

Feedback Score
    Here’s a shot of the front Dodge truck Dana 44 axle.

This isn’t the one that was in the Jeep I got the drive train from. I was driving that CJ5 up until I blew a hub at The Badlands offroad park in Attica, IN. I still have that axle, and will have to use it for parts to rebuild this one. Scrapyards being what they are these days, I couldn’t get one to sell me parts. Had to buy an axle, but that’s no biggie, as the other one had a slightly tweeked long tube anyhow.

I’ll have to use the outer from the old axle as it has the proper crossover high steer conversion done to it that was being used on the CJ5. Those components will come over to the CJ7.

You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Here is the rear Dodge truck Chrisler 9.25 axle.

Here you can see both the good, and the bad. It’s been converted to 4 wheel discs, and they worked very well on the CJ5. I kept the Wilwood propotion valve to use on this, but I will add power brakes. Cool thing is whoever did the conversion used the same calipers as the front. You can hardly see them inthis shot, but the builder mounted new spring pads, without cutting off the old truck pads. They are behind the leafs. The towers were for home made traction bars, but they didn’t allow for spring movement, and kinds put the suspension in a bind. They were just single arms with heim joints at the ends. You can also see how long Napa U-bolts are…

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    After making the bottom and sides of the frame look nice, the top of it needs the same treatment now. I still have to do the internal coating as well.

My Advance Adaptors motor mounts came in too. (the CJ5 had a homemade set welded in with no rubber to absorb the vibrations) Now I’ll be able to place the Mopar 360 in it’s new home sometime over the winter.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Left = March 24th.
    Right = Today.
    Slow going, but it's going... and it's gonna be worth it.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I tried once upon a time. But, it is a massive work and I had not enough time to do that. One of my friends built this type jeep. But, he was facing lots of issues with that jeep. At last, he bought a powerful autel scanner to find https://obd2scanners.org/autel/maxis...agnostic-tool/ each issues. If you have advanced technical knowledge and have lots of time for this work, then only worth to do it.
    Last edited by luanakates; 12-03-18 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luanakates View Post
    I tried once upon a time. But, it is a massive work and I had not enough time to do that.
    It does take a lot of time. I'm retired, and still only work on it once in a while. I'm in FL now for Thanksgiving with family. I could be working on the Jeep.

It would be a lot more peaceful to be home in the garage, than here with 17 people in a noise ass house...

Much of my month's Jeep budget went into this damn trip trying to keep the wife happy as well... No new parts this month.

Guess what? Christmas next month, so there won't be any money available then either... Kids get shit, grandma, and grandpa get shit, nieces always get shit, I won't get shit for the Jeep I can tell you that much... Yeah, it takes time...

I did sneak, and order a barrel for my .308 AR build though...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 11-22-18 at 21:45.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Finally able to get out to do some stuff on the Jeep again today. Shoulder giving me fits pretty bad. VA may be doing surgery again. VFW busy as hell with fish fry season, and losing one bartender after another... Family vacation in a rental house in Florida with 17 people was overwhelming...

ANYWAY... I cut the stock shock mounts off today. I'm doing the Ford truck shock tower thing I read about. Seems like a good inexpensive way to get longer shocks on there.

Here is one of the new shock towers held in front of the stock shock location.

I noticed that the factory shock locations are off center. They are slightly towards the pivot side of the spring. (both front and rear) Is there any significant reason I need to mount the new ones in the same place? I was wanting to mount the new towers straight over the axles. For some reason, that seams to make more sense to me, though I know the axles will move slightly towards the shackle end as the springs compress.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Side note: I took Brandy to a dog park in Destin, FL while we were down there over Thanksgiving. It was the first time she had ever been to one. She didn't even know how to act with the other dogs. Being a service dog, she was trained to ignore other animals. She can get along, but it took 3 trips for her to relax enough to just play with them all, and just act like a dog. They had a sign that reminded people to pick up dog poop, but the wording just seemed funny to me. A long time ago, I remember seeing a funny photo on David Letterman, or Jay Leno, of a shopping cart upside down on a sign that reads "return carts here". It gave me an idea, so I had my son snap a funny photo of Brandy and I by the poop sign. I posted it on a German Shepherd facebook page. Someone made a meme out of it, and now it on several other pages and been shared like 30,000 times... Brandy has gone viral... lol.

The original my son took.

The meme somebody made of us.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That's awesome! My wife showed me the meme the other day. Hope your shoulder gets feeling better.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Side note: I took Brandy to a dog park in Destin, FL while we were down there over Thanksgiving. It was the first time she had ever been to one. She didn't even know how to act with the other dogs. Being a service dog, she was trained to ignore other animals. She can get along, but it took 3 trips for her to relax enough to just play with them all, and just act like a dog. They had a sign that reminded people to pick up dog poop, but the wording just seemed funny to me. A long time ago, I remember seeing a funny photo on David Letterman, or Jay Leno, of a shopping cart upside down on a sign that reads "return carts here". It gave me an idea, so I had my son snap a funny photo of Brandy and I by the poop sign. I posted it on a German Shepherd facebook page. Someone made a meme out of it, and now it on several other pages and been shared like 30,000 times... Brandy has gone viral... lol.

The original my son took.

The meme somebody made of us.

I’ve seen that pic on Facebook!

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast