A few weeks ago I settled on a Viper HS-T 4-16x44 VMR-1 MOA, based on price point and Vortex's reputation, to upgrade my aging Burris hunting scope to something better suited to punching holes in paper out to about 800 yards. After using it a few times, I'm already wanting to upgrade again. Although the turrets feel good, the eye relief is generous, and it feels well built, I'm very underwhelmed by its optical performance. The glass just seems very mediocre to me... I can't make out .30 cal holes on paper at 100 yards, the eyebox at higher magnification is extremely unforgiving, mirage has already been a significant factor, etc. My budget is limited, but I feel like I have little choice but step up to the ~$1,000 mark for anything significantly better than the HS-T. After narrowing down my choices, I keep coming back to these two:

- Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP EBR-2C MOA
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50 FFP Impact 60 MOA

Reviews on both are overwhelmingly positive, but I found that to be the case with the HS-T prior to purchase also. I'm aware that the Leupold uses "older tech", but I just want something solid and functional that has sharp, bright optics with good, usable MOA turrets and reticle. Please help me avoid future disappointment and chime in if you have experience with either of these.