Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Budget LVPO options?

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    The new Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24mm CDS-ZL2 scopes are really nice for the money. It uses the same glass as whats in the Leupold VX-6HD line of scopes, 114.6 FOV at 1x, the fire dot duplex reticle is daylight bright in sunny conditions, very good eyebox at 1x and decent at 5x, and it weighs in at **just 13.1 ounces** ( 3.8 oz less than my K16i ). I found a place that had them for $790. delivered.
    Last edited by Biggy; 09-08-18 at 19:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I have been using one of the new Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24mm CDS-ZL2 scopes for the last four months. I got mine for $790. delivered.
    Biggy... where did you get this scope for $790 delivered?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Two years later, a good amount more of rentals, handling of scopes, I finally decided on one that fit the niche role I wanted the scope for, and I found one new for a pretty decent cost amid the market.

It's an older scope, market wise, but after handling an amber model, I knew this scope would do me well.

Trijicon TR24R with German Post Reticle

My main purpose for this scope is a Hunting/Home Defense Setup. My ranges will be at a maximum 200 yards, it's extremely light, close to almost real 1x, the etched reticle is very bright during the day.

I set mine up with a AERO Ultralight SPR Mount and a Switchview 1540SV throwlever. I am very thankful for the lever as the magnification is quite stiff without the lever.

Only have these first couple pictures on my phone, but excited to get the full SBR setup posted soon.

For what it's worth, all of the commentary suggesting to wait until I was able to purchase something on the higher end were absolutely correct.

Having had some opportunities to try some of the Bushnells and Nikon AR scopes, it's certainly something to invest in right off the bat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm at the same point, selling off the all the less expensive stuff I bought back in the day and saving for the stuff I really want. I'm much happier now with what I've got even though it's much less of it. Which is a good thing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Your best bet will probably be a Primary Arms scope or Vortex Strike Eagle. Unfortunately the LPVO game is not cheap, a good entry level optic like the Steiner and mount will cost nearly as much as a great red dot. I bought a used P4Xi and ADM mount to test the LPVO thing and am very tempted to list mine at a $50 loss so that I can upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had good luck with the PA scopes also. Was reluctant to try one at first but have several of them now on and AK, M1A, BCM full length and an AR10. Have not seen any issues yet and we shoot a lot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Got back out to the range today for another session today before a Stop The Bleed class they were hosting.

I loaded a couple hundred 110gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos to setup for a Hunting/HD load. After having run a few hundred through this scope, I have to say that it really is pleasant to use.

By far some of the best glass I own; the eyebox is extremely forgiving and the scope can be partially darkened and as long as the post is on your target within 100 yards, you're going to get hits.

I recorded one handed and rested the rifle on it's magazine and fired at a Torso Target at 100 yards with easy hits. I didn't have any weird keyholing as I had initially worried about with a 1/7 barrel, but the BA Hanson has proven itself is quite an effective package.

The rezeroing of the rifle is quick and easy, the adjustment clicks are solid and tactile, yet not stiff or difficult to position. The turrets come with "Zero Reset" to allow easier doping, but I won't be doing that with a 1-4 unless I change to another load and plan to set it back to my 110gr loadout.

Sorry if the white stuff triggers anyone, it's here for us in the Nord.

Last edited by HeruMew; 10-18-20 at 03:15.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Got back out to the range today for another session today before a Stop The Bleed class they were hosting.

I loaded a couple hundred 110gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos to setup for a Hunting/HD load. After having run a few hundred through this scope, I have to say that it really is pleasant to use.

By far some of the best glass I own; the eyebox is extremely forgiving and the scope can be partially darkened and as long as the post is on your target within 100 yards, you're going to get hits.

I recorded one handed and rested the rifle on it's magazine and fired at a Torso Target at 100 yards with easy hits. I didn't have any weird keyholing as I had initially worried about with a 1/7 barrel, but the BA Hanson has proven itself is quite an effective package.

The rezeroing of the rifle is quick and easy, the adjustment clicks are solid and tactile, yet not stiff or difficult to position. The turrets come with "Zero Reset" to allow easier doping, but I won't be doing that with a 1-4 unless I change to another load and plan to set it back to my 110gr loadout.

Sorry if the white stuff triggers anyone, it's here for us in the Nord.

Thank you for the update. Do you feel the German #4 reticle allows the scope to replace a red dot on 1X?

I'm still flip flopping between the #4, which I love in general, and the triangle. Triangle for speed, but the #4 is probably the better reticle for any of my realistic uses outside HD.

Andy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thank you for the update. Do you feel the German #4 reticle allows the scope to replace a red dot on 1X?

I'm still flip flopping between the #4, which I love in general, and the triangle. Triangle for speed, but the #4 is probably the better reticle for any of my realistic uses outside HD.

Andy
    The reality is, neither scopes have any real... "Hold Overs". I went with the Post as it is very very much "Red Dot" like and super quick to get on target.

While it's not "parallax free" it sure hits targets like it is if it's 100 yards or less.

Even without holdovers, I am able to use "Strelok Pro" for the TR24 Triangle/Post and I can still use the bottom of the triangle as a holdover depending on the load I am running.

I do believe the Triangle Post will feel far more "Red Dot" like than the #4.

For what it's worth, granted I haven't had nearly as much time behind the optic, I don't think that even this scope on 1x will fully "replace" a red dot.

Astigmatism makes this a clear winner in my book with it's features, but it isn't as "fast" as a red dot at the end of the day. There is still an eyebox, and eye relief, and parallax to factor in. And while this scope is extremely forgiving, it's not nearly as forgiving as the average red dot in terms of POI. Are we talking about lots of time in target acquisition? No, but enough to know a reddot is faster.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 10-19-20 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I asked my question poorly and I appreciate your taking the time to answer it well.

I have a Trijicon Accupower and a Nikon Black 1-4 now. The accupoint reticle is just too fine for speed and I frankly don't trust the Nikon for hard use.

I do understand that a scope and red dot are quite different, so maybe "Red Dot replacement" is a poor description. You covered it well. I'm not interested in holdover, 300 M would be max range.

When you say German post, you are referring to the Number 4 reticle correct?

Thank you

Andy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I asked my question poorly and I appreciate your taking the time to answer it well.

I have a Trijicon Accupower and a Nikon Black 1-4 now. The accupoint reticle is just too fine for speed and I frankly don't trust the Nikon for hard use.

I do understand that a scope and red dot are quite different, so maybe "Red Dot replacement" is a poor description. You covered it well. I'm not interested in holdover, 300 M would be max range.

When you say German post, you are referring to the Number 4 reticle correct?

Thank you

Andy
    Oh, jeez, I see now. This is certainly my fault as well. I called Trijicon's "BAC Triangle" as the "German Post" as I associate the reticle most closely with the common Kar98 Scope. Admittedly, it's not the same as the "German #4" that Trijicon also offers.

I have attached a picture of the reticle style that they call the "BAC Triangle" (which is the one I own).

It's a 4moa (or very close to 4moa) Triangle. I feel like I am able to pick it up very quickly, and because it's an etched reticle, there is absolutely zero bloom for extreme "top of the pin/triangle" shot placement and zeroing. I find that my eye is naturally drawn to that point very quickly when acquiring targets. Even 200-300 yard targets, with a MPBR zeroing in 5.56, will be easy hits with just setting the point on a man sized target.

Last edited by HeruMew; 10-19-20 at 15:38.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast