Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget LVPO options?

Feedback Score
    I have a Primary Arms 1-4 in their cantilever mount on a spare mid length build I did last year. I think the optic & mount together were less than $200. I have no complaints about the scope, and actually like the simple, uncluttered view of the reticle. I would buy again.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I could only imagine a LPVO for 100$ would turn you off to LPVO and not be a fair idea of what a good or decent optic is like.

Can you rent one? check it out in a store?

I think LPVO are where it is at. If its good, a true 1x is a big deal to me. The Leupold VX-r is "1.25" and it bothers me. Also my 1.5x ACOG has less magnification than my Leupold 1.25x, imagine that. I'd venture to guess the ACOG is 1.2x and the Leupold is easily over 1.5x.

Also buy once cry once. I have a leupold VX-6 1-6 and a Nightforce NXS 1-4, both are excellent. The Night force is better.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I could only imagine a LPVO for 100$ would turn you off to LPVO and not be a fair idea of what a good or decent optic is like.

For sure.

You be better off finding something along the lines of a PA or Vortex on the used market.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is a great reason why I turn to our community;

In my initial thoughts, as in the OP, I was concerned that may be the case.

Looks like I am sucking it up and waiting it out. If I can't cure the itch by the time the 350 or so for a Vortex is saved up, I will pick one up with a good mount; if I can keep my cool I will wait a little longer and pick up a Steiner. Especially with how many LPVO hit the EE here.

Looking around more, it seems like the Steiner is regarded as the "Baseline" for good quality while even Vortex and PA are more entry level.

Ultimately: Truly thanks everyone. I am in a much better place rather than wasting money. As much as I want to jump into the game, I don't want to be turned off based on my equipment quality not being adequate enough to do what I want with it.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-08-18 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post

Can you rent one? check it out in a store?

I think LPVO are where it is at. If its good, a true 1x is a big deal to me. The Leupold VX-r is "1.25" and it bothers me. Also my 1.5x ACOG has less magnification than my Leupold 1.25x, imagine that. I'd venture to guess the ACOG is 1.2x and the Leupold is easily over 1.5x.

Also buy once cry once. I have a leupold VX-6 1-6 and a Nightforce NXS 1-4, both are excellent. The Night force is better.
    Hoping I can rent one.

We have a new indoor range that just opened in the last year. Have yet to go due to pricing on the range and rentals. But, if I can go for one quick sessions get a couple boxes down range to see how I like the optics. I would bet they have a rental one.

If not, sounds like I gotta make more friends in high places.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    This is a great reason why I turn to our community;

In my initial thoughts, as in the OP, I was concerned that may be the case.

Looks like I am sucking it up and waiting it out. If I can't cure the itch by the time the 350 or so for a Vortex is saved up, I will pick one up with a good mount; if I can keep my cool I will wait a little longer and pick up a Steiner. Especially with how many LPVO hit the EE here.

Looking around more, it seems like the Steiner is regarded as the "Baseline" for good quality while even Vortex and PA are more entry level.

Ultimately: Truly thanks everyone. I am in a much better place rather than wasting money. As much as I want to jump into the game, I don't want to be turned off based on my equipment quality not being adequate enough to do what I want with it.
    Brother- Memorial Day is soon approaching..ALWAYS good sales on optics all over. I use, and highly recommend, the Steiner P4Xi 1x4 Red Dot. Watch DSG Arms they run good sales on it plus a mount combo.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Brother- Memorial Day is soon approaching..ALWAYS good sales on optics all over. I use, and highly recommend, the Steiner P4Xi 1x4 Red Dot. Watch DSG Arms they run good sales on it plus a mount combo.
    Thanks for the heads up, good sir.

Will certainly keep a sharp eye open on that day. I appreciate the insight on where to watch too.

My wife is gunna KILL me this year. Two builds, a new CCW, two classes, and it's only May. It's a good thing she's pretty supportive of my hobbies. She stopped asking the safe count about a year and a half ago.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    If you're really stretched on a budget, the Weaver 1-3 can be had under $200. Doesn't have an illuminated reticle and the reticle is just a standard duplex but it has Japanese glass. Best glass at that budget.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Honestly, as someone who runs a LPV on my main carbine- stay away from them until you can afford a good one. By that i mean ATLEAST $300 for a PA 1-6. Their new FFP model looks amazing. I wouldnt even touch the low price vortex or sig or bushnell. After PA look to leupold. Its like if you bought a cheap red dot, that had bad clarity, weak brightness and poor battery life. You’d probably decide red dots are not for you. HOWEVER if you do decide you like red dots now you wanna spend money on a real one. Same applies to LPV.

If you do get a good mid range LPV like a PA or leuopold and dont like It, you can resell here and get 70% of your money back. Buy a $100 one and you will be out $100 no matter what.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Hoping I can rent one.
    Take a look around for 3 gun matches. Most people won't find you taking a look through theirs and will give you hands on with mounts and eye relief.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast