Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smith and Wesson Reintroduces The Model 19!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'll just leave this here, my new to me Model 19-4 2.5" wheelie.

And if you want to shoot duty-strength .357 loads through a revolver all the time, either get a Ruger or a N-frame Smith. No .38, just lots and lots of full house duty ammo? It really needs to be one of those two.
    L Frame was built from the ground up to handle a steady diet of magnum rounds, so no need for Rugers or gigantic N-Frame .357s. In fact, the 69 is chambered in .44 Mag while the GP100 is only chambered in .44 Spl, which leads me to believe the S&W in that weight class is built stronger. Nothing wrong with Rugers, and we all know they’re tough as tanks, but they’re not the only gun you can have fun with.

I too am curious if the redesign of the lockup & forcing cone have created a K Frame that can tolerate a steady magnum diet. The finish on newer Smiths is more of a bummer for me than the lock & MIM parts.

Feedback Score
    That is a nice looking 19 you got there Serious. The -4 is for me the pinnacle of the Combat Magnum as it has every upgrade and nothing taken away.

I started in 1970 with a 4 inch -3 and later a 6 inch and 2 1/2 inch. Sold all my revolvers at one point during my 1911 phase. Just recently got the revolver bug again and acquired a 4 inch blue -4, a 6 inch blue -4 and a 2 1/2 inch 66-1 which is the same as a -4 in stainless.

Never say never, but I will probably never own a MIM/lock S&W.

I feel that the K frame Magnum fear is over blown as I shot mass qty of full house magnum factory ammo and hot hand-loads out of my 4 inch -3 back in my former revolver life.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score

Smith and Wesson Reintroduces The Model 19!

^^^^ Mostly that.

I carried a K frame through the Academy, and for my first year and a half as a LEO back in the 80s.

I dumped all my revolvers and switched to the Sig P226, then later the 220 and 229. I just kept One J frame as a BUG.

K frames are more “snappy” with magnum loads, but will take them all day. Not fun if you want to go through a couple boxes of ammo a day, but they will do it.

The new Smith’s have gotten a bad rap. I hate the Klinton hole, But now that I’ve picked up a performance center model 629, i’ve never looked back and I plan on getting another someday. This things built 10 times better than my old 66-1.

The stock smiths leave a little bit to be desired now days. This I’ve really admit. If you can get over the stupid hole though, the new Performance Center models coming out or just as good, if not a little better than the stuff they were pumping out in the 80s. This, coming from someone that carry lots of revolvers back in the 80s.

I hate this board... Just when I thought I had wheel guns completely out of my system, I read a thread like this. Thanks...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Don't hold your breath or that to happen.
    Meh, plenty of used stuff out there that need a home.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    I also don't care for frame mounted firing pins, they should be in the hammer where they belong.
    Why?
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I convinced my dad to buy a used 19 to replace his old duty 19 that he sold back in the day when cash was short. I didn't know SW was bringing them back so I even picked up a spare barrel. It will be mine one day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Why?
    Pat
    Mostly because I'm old and cantankerous. I've never broken a hammer nose but have broken several firing pins in the newer frame mounted style through, I presume, lots of dry fire. And those damn tiny ass springs....

Oh well, at least the new ones are easier to replace.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    Mostly because I'm old and cantankerous. I've never broken a hammer nose but have broken several firing pins in the newer frame mounted style through, I presume, lots of dry fire. And those damn tiny ass springs....

Oh well, at least the new ones are easier to replace.
    Broke a nose one my 13-2 last year. Luckily my LGS has this kind of stuff in stock and fixed it for me for free!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123