Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18" AR15 with Hornady 60VMax

Feedback Score
    Photo of the SB SRP Target. I am going to repeat this on the brighter day. My point of aim, attempted point of aim, is the bottom of the red circle. I have a hard time resolving it with my 6x Primary Arms Optic. I don't claim to be the best/most consistent shooter. Sometimes I want to blame the optic, but if people can shoot MOA with irons I should be able to do it with this. Its the Indian not the arrow right?

Attachment 53507
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 08-25-18 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I rarely shoot good groups with SPR type guns. I don't know what it is.

How are you metering the Varget?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPenguin5145 View Post
    Photo of the SB SRP Target. I am going to repeat this on the brighter day. My point of aim, attempted point of aim, is the bottle of the red circle. I have a hard time resolving it with my 6x Primary Arms Optic. I don't claim to be the best/most consistent shooter. Sometimes I want to blame the optic, but if people can shoot MOA with irons I should be able to do it with this. Its the Indian not the arrow right?

Attachment 53507
    It's been my experience that 60gr. vmax properly loaded is an incredibly accurate pill @ 100yds. Bughole type stuff for sure. Your first group is approaching what I'd expect to see with a good 60gr. vmax load....minus what looks like a flyer.

Your second group with significant vertical stringing is rather perplexing though based on the first group. Perhaps you shot both groups back to back with very little cool down time between shots? I've starting ammo testing again recently, and forgot just how enormous of an effect barrel heat plays when shooting groups. When I shoot a 10rd group, it takes 10min then to let the barrel fully cool down. Vertical stringing culprits often are shooter related, and outside of breathing control, you listed another common reason for vertical stringing, which is inconsistent POA hold.

If I were you, I'd buy a red box of BH's 60gr. vmax loading and use it as a control. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...-max-box-of-50

I no longer use a bench to perform accuracy testing, as I found it way harder to keep technique solid when doing so. I shoot prone with a bipod up front, and a bag in the rear. I find it very advantageous when I put my full weighted body behind a rifle, and drive it from that position. When sitting up right on a bench, I just get to much unexpected movement. Shooting groups without a mechanical rest is truly an acquired skill, that requires constant practice to maintain.

It seems you have the right mindset, and approach to become a jedi master in short order
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 08-24-18 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I rarely shoot good groups with SPR type guns. I don't know what it is.

How are you metering the Varget?
    In this case, I have been using a scoop to get in the ball park and a trickler to get to 26.3.

Feedback Score
    I did not give it that much time between 5 shot groups. I will extend that time to 10 min next time and see if it helps.

I would love to try some BH, but it costs about a billion dollars to ship it up here.

Its funny you mention shooting from a bench vs prone. I shot these groups prone, but I have a shitty bag and have a hard time getting it to work with the stock.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would really consider ditching Varget unless your volume is low. I can run XBR, H322 etc on my Dillon without giving up any accuracy. And Varget sucks for case capacity in .223.

You mentioned the shitty bag... Get a good heavy bag. It REALLY makes a big difference when trying to asses ammo. Pappabear has two that we use. A super heavy stiff mofo that we shoot groups with, and a heavy softer suede bag that we run out to long ranges.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have 1 pound of Varget. I will likely try some H332 as I also heard its good for making reduced muzzle flash loads. First I want to try and confirm this 26.3 loading is good so I can keep "on record". Where did you get the bags? Are they just homemade type bags (socks with sand?)

And before I run out to work for the day, I resized one of the fired PMC casings. I am getting about .0050 inch of case length growth after a resize. Again, at this resize, it just barely grabs when I manually un-chamber the non-fired resized case with a seated bullet.
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 08-25-18 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    I shot 3 more groups of 60VMax pushed by 26.3gn of Varget and got the same results. 1"-1.5" groups (extreme spread). The velocity is consistant and I got no change in group size by shooting with or without the chrono attached. I also loaded up 3 rounds each of 26.7,26.9 and 27.1. There is next to no velocity change with those loads from 26.3. I also noted no concerning pressure signs at 27.1.

I then shot some 69 SMK loads. I had them loaded with H335 and Varget. CCI 450 primers, 2.26 OAL. See the below targets. My best target so far was the 69SMK with 25.3 of Varget, that is a 5 shot group. I had the check the backer to confirm the 5th shot.

I still don't have a good bag yet.

Attachment 53670
    Attachment 53671
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 09-04-18 at 22:29.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Shooting some groups at 50 yards/meters should show you if you have enough magnification. 6x would be fine for me at 100, but not everyone's eyes are the same. If your groups at 50 are a quarter (or less) the size they are at 100, then I would suspect sighting error could be an issue.

I know for a fact that I can shoot much smaller groups at 100 meters with a Leupold 4-12 vx-2 scope than a Trijicon 1-4 accupower.

Different targets may help too, you don't have to use a round bullseye.

Good luck.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-05-18 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    I went out a shot some more. My Varget Load of 26.3 still is shooting the same. I also tried two loads of H322. 23.2 gn gave me 2800 fps and the start of a decent group until I threw one. 23.5 gn also started a good group but at 2850 fps until I threw one. These were also shot with a 3x9 scope i picked up. At this point I think its more about me then the system. :-)

Attachment 53795

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12