Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a specific barrel..and other questions.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I agree with you sir. That said, wouldnt a nitrided SS barrel fit the bill for long range accuracy & durability? This is a learning process for me, and again am open to suggestions & thoughts.
    A nitrided SS barrel will have a longer life span than a non-nitrided SS barrel but you aren't going to get the same durability as a nitrided cut or buttoned 4150 or nitrited CHF "machine gun steel" barrel. Durability relies on both the treatment/lining + the base metal. If you have a weaker substrate metal you are going to get much faster barrel erosion once the propellant gasses eat through the treatment/lining in the thoat area and leade of the rifling.

Feedback Score
    Also b/c the OP asked, in my experience Green Mountain barrels are overgassed. .080 for a 11.5" carbine. Moreover, their customer service told me to pound sand when I asked them why they chose that GP size.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    A nitrided SS barrel will have a longer life span than a non-nitrided SS barrel but you aren't going to get the same durability as a nitrided cut or buttoned 4150 or nitrited CHF "machine gun steel" barrel. Durability relies on both the treatment/lining + the base metal. If you have a weaker substrate metal you are going to get much faster barrel erosion once the propellant gasses eat through the treatment/lining in the thoat area and leade of the rifling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Also b/c the OP asked, in my experience Green Mountain barrels are overgassed. .080 for a 11.5" carbine. Moreover, their customer service told me to pound sand when I asked them why they chose that GP size.
    Thanks vicious..I am wanting accuracy over durability for this build. And I appreciate the word on GM, Hulkstr8.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123