Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Nut Torquing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Castle Nut Torquing

I am installing a QD end plate on my Colt and am need of some advice. The tools I used to get it off was the hammerhead tool with the lower secured in a Magpul Bev Block/vise. This was no issue. As far as putting it back together, I have a torque wrench and will use loctite C5A. My concern is with how the lower is secured in the bev block...would applying the proper torque spec cause any harm using this combo?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    And why are you using Lotite? A castle nut should have an appropriate anti-seize compond applied, torqued to spec and staked in two places.

I not seeing how a Bev block and Hammerhead combo would harm anything.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    And why are you using Lotite? A castle nut should have an appropriate anti-seize compond applied, torqued to spec and staked in two places.

I not seeing how a Bev block and Hammerhead combo would harm anything.
    Loctite C5A is anti seize, not threadlocker. I was more worried about possible stress or flex to the lower.
    Last edited by jschmitt08; 05-13-18 at 23:30.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jschmitt08 View Post
    Loctite C5A is anti seize, not threadlocker. I was more worried about possible stress or flex to the lower.
    Oops, duh, my apology.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Torque spec is 40 ft. Lbs plus or minus 2, it's not a lot of torque. I've never used a Bev block to secure a lower, but if it secures through the mag well it should be fine. Just go slow, and stop if you feel like damage is being done.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 05-14-18 at 07:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Torque spec is 40 plus or minus 2, it's not a lot of torque. I've never used a Bev block to secure a lower, but if it secures through the mag well it should be fine. Just go slow, and stop if you feel like damage is being done.
    Yes it will be secured through the magwell.

Feedback Score
    Bev block will be fine. A magwell holder will also work just fine. Just support it with ur hard while doing s proper torque. And use the anti seize. And stake in 2 places. It will be good. You would be surprised how many top manufacturers for properly torque the castle nut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would highly recommend a reaction block instead of a magwell block for installing receiver extensions.

And yes staking is a must. Its also not that hard to do , or undo for that matter.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dentron View Post
    I would highly recommend a reaction block instead of a magwell block for installing receiver extensions.
    Good advice, but a reaction block might be a little pricey for some. Alternative. Get some inexpensive rubber padded vise jaws. I clamp my REs into the padded jaws firmly, and canted so that the stock position track is braced against one face of the jaws such that it will not rotate when the castle nut is tightened. Then it's just a matter of tightening/torquing down using whatever wrench you use.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Good advice, but a reaction block might be a little pricey for some. Alternative. Get some inexpensive rubber padded vise jaws. I clamp my REs into the padded jaws firmly, and canted so that the stock position track is braced against one face of the jaws such that it will not rotate when the castle nut is tightened. Then it's just a matter of tightening/torquing down using whatever wrench you use.
    This is a good cheaper alternative to the geissele

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast