Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this staking enough?

Feedback Score

Is this staking enough?

I staked my castle nut in one place is this enough to hold it tight? unnamed.jpg

Feedback Score
    there are usually two slots available. Stake the other one too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It could just be the picture, but I don't think you displaced enough metal outward into the notch to hold.

Best way I can explain is start with the an auto-punch straight, make a good indentation then angle the punch to move some metal over.

Also, you want to stake it in two places.

Feedback Score
    That castle nut looks wrong. Maybe it is the picture playing tricks on me. Not sure how any material from the endplate could be displaced into the notch. The notch looks cosmetic, not functional.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Best way I can explain is start with the an auto-punch straight, make a good indentation then angle the punch to move some metal over.
    That's exactly how I do mine and they've always turned out great. I just use the cheapo auto punch that Lowes sells and they work well enough and aren't expensive.

OP, I think if you just used an auto punch once or twice at a slight angle the stake you already have would end up fine. As mentioned though I'd stake it twice.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrarieDog View Post
    there are usually two slots available. Stake the other one too.
    It could just be the picture, but I don't think you displaced enough metal outward into the notch to hold.

I agree 100% with these two comments. To answer your question, NO.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

That's basically it in a nutshell and what I would have typed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Completely agreed, there doesn't appear to be enough metal displaced to be functional.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The problem is the castle nut. Not sure who is making those but a few manufacturers are using them and they are not being made correctly. The staking notches should be roughly a 45 degree angle.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Daniel defense is who made the lower and parts. What exactly is incorrect about the castle nut so I can let DD know? Also is this better? unnamed.jpg
    Last edited by Clyde777; 05-14-18 at 08:20.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast