Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive muzzle device recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Inexpensive muzzle device recommendations

I am finishing up a build based on a colt 14.5 inch M4 SOCOM barrel.

I have always used standard bird cage muzzle devices, but the local shop is out and has an S&J hardware linear compensator for about $50. The same shop sells the bird cage for $12.

My general philosophy is to spend my money on parts that enhance accuracy, utility/durability, and looks in that order. This is a range toy, and I am not a high-speed/low drag operator (in fact, I'm low-speed/high hairline). That being said, I like the simple and distinct look of the S&J device. I can see no obvious benefit to spending the money on it as opposed to putting that $40 towards a better trigger.

What say you, hive mind? What are my high-value low cost options for muzzle devices?

EDIT: barrel length isn't a concern - I don't have to get it to 16"
    Last edited by pubb; 05-15-18 at 12:35.

Feedback Score
    I would buy an extended A2.
    Measure the barrel, some 14.5” are closer to 14.7” and with a crush washer- the std a2 may work. Its a stretch but worth a look.

Feedback Score
    I don't need to get to 16" - in Canada, an AR is a restricted firearm, which means barrel length doesn't mean squat. I just need something to finish the barrel.
    Last edited by pubb; 05-15-18 at 12:36.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Cheap and effective:

A2.

But I am biased.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Cheap and effective:

A2.

But I am biased.
    Everyone is biased...and I agree with you, an A2. It works pretty well and is like $9.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    double tap

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    in Canada, an AR is a restricted firearm
    Can you get these in Canada:

Nice looking IMO linear comp: https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/K...linear-blk.htm

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-pa...reaks/comp-556 (I haven't seen one in the wild)

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-pa...slim-flash-can (I use these under rails, they look okay in that application, don't like the look hanging off a M4 - you may)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A2 via internet...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    I am finishing up a build based on a colt 14.5 inch M4 SOCOM barrel.

I have always used standard bird cage muzzle devices, but the local shop is out and has an S&J hardware linear compensator for about $50. The same shop sells the bird cage for $12.

My general philosophy is to spend my money on parts that enhance accuracy, utility/durability, and looks in that order. This is a range toy, and I am not a high-speed/low drag operator (in fact, I'm low-speed/high hairline). That being said, I like the simple and distinct look of the S&J device. I can see no obvious benefit to spending the money on it as opposed to putting that $40 towards a better trigger.

What say you, hive mind? What are my high-value low cost options for muzzle devices?

EDIT: barrel length isn't a concern - I don't have to get it to 16"
    Wait for an A2. The SJ device weighs over 4 ounces. Do you really want to hang 4 ounces on the end of the barrel?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Wait for an A2. The SJ device weighs over 4 ounces. Do you really want to hang 4 ounces on the end of the barrel?
    4 oz?? That's like 3oz too much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast