Thread: A2 and A4 carry handle sight guts compatibility, and .170 FCG question

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

A2 and A4 carry handle sight guts compatibility, and .170 FCG question

So, I'm building an A2 "clone", except that I'm making it how I think it should have been. That means lightweight barrel and A1 length CS stock.

Anyway, one of the things I'm considering is using A4 sight guts (6/3 0-600 yards) instead of the optimistic A2 (8/3 0-800 yards) sights.
    I currently have a Colt A2 upper, and will be getting a Colt A4 carry handle.
    Will I be able to swap the sights themselves between the two? Are they compatible?

Also, my lower happens to be an old Colt .170" FCG large pin lower, and the hammer is notched. Does anyone still sell a rounded (not notched) .170" Hammer?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by masakari; 05-17-18 at 18:16.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why are you worried about the Type 2 hammer? Is it a functional thing? Or authentic appearance? As long as you have a real 16 carrier, the Type 2 hammer will be fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Why are you worried about the Type 2 hammer? Is it a functional thing? Or authentic appearance? As long as you have a real 16 carrier, the Type 2 hammer will be fine.
    Not worried, I just don't like notched hammers. They feel gritty when cycling the bolt, and remind me of the evil black rifle ban of '94. So I just prefer standard rounded hammers whenever possible.
    And yes, I am using a standard M16 carrier.
    I had an ALG QMS set aside for this build, until I got the lower and discovered later that it was a large pin... Go figure.
    Last edited by masakari; 05-17-18 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you want to use the A2 sight in an A4 handle you have to mill a hole in the upper. The A2 sight stem is longer.

I've shot the M16A2 out to 1,000-yards -- which is why I went to M14s and bolt guns for farther out.

I replaced all my fixed rifle stocks with A1s -- perfect length for me.

Geissele makes a large-hole 2-stage trigger. Not sure if anyone still carries large-pin hammers for Colts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    If you want to use the A2 sight in an A4 handle you have to mill a hole in the upper. The A2 sight stem is longer.

Awesome memory, this isn't a question which comes up often at all.

IIRC, this used to be a test question in the Colt armorer course.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

I've shot the M16A2 out to 1,000-yards -- which is why I went to M14s and bolt guns for farther out.

I replaced all my fixed rifle stocks with A1s -- perfect length for me.

Geissele makes a large-hole 2-stage trigger. Not sure if anyone still carries large-pin hammers for Colts.
    Thank you very much for the info and picture.
    So I definitely won't be doing that with the carry handle, but would still consider doing the other way around and putting the 6/3 guts into the A2 upper. Think that would work well?
    I can't see myself shooting any farther than 500-600 with iron sights... Can barely even see the target!
    With an ACOG I've shot out to 800, however, with great success.

As far as the trigger, geissele does indeed make one... It's a little pricier than I'm willing to spend right now, however.
    Last edited by masakari; 05-17-18 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Does anyone still sell a rounded (not notched) .170" Hammer?
    http://www.specializedarmament.com/%...-type-i-0.170/

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Ouch!!
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I really hope that there are other options. I do not see myself spending $60 on that.