Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AF losing stuff

Feedback Score
    It was a B-52 from Minot that flew the nuclear-armed cruise missiles down to Barksdale AFB a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    It was a B-52 from Minot that flew the nuclear-armed cruise missiles down to Barksdale AFB a few years ago.
    Yep. Compared to that a missing M240 is small potatoes. Enough to cost a base commander his job, though.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Is that the flight that ejected a nuke into a muddy river bank and it's still missing to this day?

I thought I was reading Ian Fleming's Thunderball when I was reading about that one.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    No, no dropped/jettisoned weapons in this incident.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No, no dropped/jettisoned weapons in this incident.
    Found it, so this is what you were talking about. A Bent Spear incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_U...apons_incident

The incident I was thinking about was one of the B-52 crashes that happened in 1961 where the weapon has never been recovered.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/17483...ns-us-has-lost
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I'm not sure how they handle this now, but...
    lock everyone down and no one goes to an appointment, birth of a child, home to change clothes or get a shower and just start tearing the place apart.
    The more painful it becomes for everyone involved, the quicker it will appear.
    It didn't waalk out of the arms room on it's own and everyone has a first and second line Supervisor they all have to pay.
    BTDT. The .mil don't play when it comes to sensitive items!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    BTDT. The .mil don't play when it comes to sensitive items!
    One of the [recurring] problems is that the "burn them all" philosophy worked fine when there were 600,000+ people. Ruining the careers of 10-20 at a time was no big deal when you had ready replacement.

The issue facing the Air Force, at all unit and not just this one, is that everyone is already at 40-60% of the manning they should have. Four years ago, Malmstrom AFB suspended a little less than half of their ICBM crew force (200ish total, 90 suspended) to investigate a cheating scandal (that involved 5 people). There is no way to make up that gap. The alerts still have to happen, 2 officers per launch center, 15 launch centers) and now there are even less people to do them with. Group punishment had its place in SAC, but it starts to lose its effectiveness when the only way to make up for it and still meet mission objectives is to take even more shortcuts.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 05-18-18 at 19:54.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    One of the [recurring] problems is that the "burn them all" philosophy worked fine when there were 600,000+ people. Ruining the careers of 10-20 at a time was no big deal when you had ready replacement.

The issue facing the Air Force, at all unit and not just this one, is that everyone is already at 40-60% of the manning they should have. Four years ago, Malmstrom AFB suspended a little less than half of their ICBM crew force (200ish total, 90 suspended) to investigate a cheating scandal (that involved 5 people). There is no way to make up that gap. The alerts still have to happen, 2 officers per launch center, 15 launch centers) and now there are even less people to do them with. Group punishment had its place in SAC, but it starts to lose its effectiveness when the only way to make up for it and still meet mission objectives is to take even more shortcuts.
    I didn't say I agreed with "group punishment" but it is what it is. That's how .mil plays it. Shit rolls downhill but also rolls uphill too.

Given the general unaccountability in our society today the military goes 180 degrees the opposite, but it always has crushed folks up or down the problem-chain. Just the way it is and has been.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 05-18-18 at 20:55.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yeah, my first thought was "Somebody's going to smoke a turd over this."

I can remember spending three days dragging a river looking for a missing M-16A2. The poor kid that lost it damn near committed ritual seppuku when we could not find it.

And that was not a belt-fed or a can of HEDP.

Yep. A big fat moist juicy turd.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12