Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Leupold Mark 6 gtg?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I had no issue with the MK6 eyebox, which people use to complain about. I have yet to test out my NX8, I will next month. I will be shooting from 0-500yds. If I hate it, I will also get the Khales.

Op, I like bobro mounts. I use them for everything.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    Just a quick update. I ended up ditching the Mark 6 as an option, in fact FFP all together, in favor of a Kahles with an SM1 reticle. I missed the one on the EE a few weeks ago, but picked up a show demo for $1700. This reticle will be a good excuse to learn how to use mils properly, and so far I'm impressed with the eyebox and glass, but I haven't mounted it yet.

I'm kicking myself for missing the Geissele sale over Memorial Day Weekend too, so now I'm shopping some more. QD is ok, but not a requirement. What are opinions on the right mount for this nice scope? I can't really afford Spuhr after splurging on the scope, so Geissele at full price? LaRue? Nightforce? Lighter is better, links are appreciated.
    You chose well on the scope. I just sold an SM1 in the EE because I wanted the new 3gr reticle, but the K16 is about as good as it gets, and I have a lot of time with the Mark 6, Vortex, and some other 1-6s. Be sure to give diopter adjustment a chance....work on it until the image is flat rather than only until the reticle is clear like you would with other scopes.

On the mounts, any of the above. LaRue is fine if you aren't worried about split rings; his mounts are tough with steel thread inserts so you aren't going to strip one out. Just be sure the levers are properly adjusted and check them from time to time if you remove it a lot.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    I've been shopping for a higher end LPV, considering glass quality, durability, weight, and reticle among some of the most important factors for me. I'm really hoping to get into a good FFP model, so I keep finding myself looking at Leupold, but I've read about some problems they've had in the last few years. I've also read that they seem to be addressing the complaints, and have been doing better, specifically with the Mark 5 line. As I'm looking for a 1-6 or 1-8 power, I'm considering the Mark 6. Does anybody have any input on these scopes and if they're gtg, or if I should steer clear?

I'm also open to suggestions on a good alternative. I really like the Kahles 16i and may end up going that direction, but really want a FFP. NF NX8 is an option too, but I hate that they left the turrets exposed and read a bad review about the 2 MOA dot at high power that made me think a little bit about the reticle. I like the new Primary Arms Raptor, and may go that route too, but quality of glass is a biggy so I don't want to skimp.
    I really liked my MK6, but after a while I got some black trash in it. This is very common for the MK6 series, and Leupold fixed it in about 3 weeks, free of charge, and it was flawless. It did not affect performance, but it was very "Tasco" feeling for such a high end optic. I have never before experienced this (even with Tasco).

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I really liked my MK6, but after a while I got some black trash in it. This is very common for the MK6 series, and Leupold fixed it in about 3 weeks, free of charge, and it was flawless. It did not affect performance, but it was very "Tasco" feeling for such a high end optic. I have never before experienced this (even with Tasco).
    What do you mean by "black trash?"
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

- cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    What do you mean by "black trash?"
    Just that. Black flakes of junk on the reticle. It's pretty common with them from what I understand. Leupold fixed it and made it flawless though.

How is the NX8 doing for you?

Feedback Score
    IMHO, the 3-18x is an ideal scope for long range work in the .308 (the bottom end) and up. The 3 is still sufficiently fast (like the 3-9x for hunting) and likely forgiving of form while the 18x is better for those long range shots. Considering a 1.2 MOA (yes, a rare few shoot better) rifle in 7.62 with POI of 12" on an 18" plate at 1,000 the justification for anything over 15x, surveillance aside, is questionable on this platform as the average shooter will spend most of their time off target and correcting for variables they do not understand. Again, IMHO, the 17s is a battle rifle in 7.62 that can turn some cover into concealment and is thus deserving of an optic of more power than traditional 5.56 carbines. If you have the money to spend, by all means and it is tough to beat Leupold in quality, features, reliability, customer service vs price. For the average guy a 3-9x will get you on any steel you want out to 700 with 7.62, probably why the 4.5-14 and 3.5-15 are so popular in .308. The Mark 6 line really reflects higher powered scopes with a more useful lower end, albeit at a price. If I understand what you are asking, the 17s doesn't need 18x for any reason whatsoever. I have an OBR LT-762 in 18", that is a 1,000 yard rifle capable of stupid tiny groups; it is fitted with an ER/T 4.5-14x 50mm and I have never needed more. For an additional, lighter and more manageable rifle at closer ranges I considered the PredatAR in 7.62 but for the same price the 17s was an easy win. The 17s now sits with a 2 MOA M3 Aimpoint and 3x magnifier. I can hit steel targets all day at 450y while standing, but not so much beyond that due to a lack of holdover. The 1x 2 MOA dot is incredible fast where this rifle was designed to spend most of it's time. The Aimpoint is also extremely forgiving of poor form, position, etc. At the end of the day, it's a civilian (steel ringer) battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just that. Black flakes of junk on the reticle. It's pretty common with them from what I understand. Leupold fixed it and made it flawless though.
    My NX8 had a significant amount of debris like this that became worse the more vibration it was subjected to. I have only experienced this now with Nightforce and Mueller. Any company can have things slip through.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

How is the NX8 doing for you?
    It is a great scope. Eye box was no issue for me. Reticle is great at 1x. At 350-600yds the reticle worked well there too.

- cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrs View Post
    My NX8 had a significant amount of debris like this that became worse the more vibration it was subjected to. I have only experienced this now with Nightforce and Mueller. Any company can have things slip through.
    I checked with people who see hundreds of mk6s. It wasnt isolated to a 1 off.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    It is a great scope. Eye box was no issue for me. Reticle is great at 1x. At 350-600yds the reticle worked well there too.
    Is there "a blurry ring area" on 1x like a donut of fail around the image with the nx8? That's the other complaint I've read, although I've never seen it in the photo of video of the optic I've managed to find.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast