Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Holosun 503g

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    37
    Feedback Score
    0

    Holosun 503g

    Just picked up the Holosun 503g to put on my home defense rifle. Does anyone have one that can tell me if it will hold up over time? I like the nice clear reticle and the fact that it turns on as soon as I pick the gun up without having to mess with any switches.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Goose Creek, SC
    Posts
    59
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's a hobby grade optic. It may last a long time, it may crap out tomorrow. I have one myself...but I also have Aimpoints and Trijicon optics. Those last two go on my duty grade guns. The Holosun goes on one of my plinker rifles.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    195
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehammer69 View Post
    It's a hobby grade optic. It may last a long time, it may crap out tomorrow. I have one myself...but I also have Aimpoints and Trijicon optics. Those last two go on my duty grade guns. The Holosun goes on one of my plinker rifles.
    Eh, i'd disagree.

    The holosun and PA optics have proven themselves past the point of "hobby grade."

    They're really impressive red dots.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,755
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Chinese made hobby optic.

    Add another $150 to you budget and find an Aimpoint ACO or Pro on sale.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Goose Creek, SC
    Posts
    59
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Eh, i'd disagree.

    The holosun and PA optics have proven themselves past the point of "hobby grade."

    They're really impressive red dots.
    Sorry buddy, but I disagree. People are still having failures with these. Yes, they have a lifetime warranty, but I rather not have to send it in and be without it when it is so much harder to kill an Aimpoint or Trijicon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    68
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Take this for what it is worth but the rep at the Holosun booth at the NRA meeting said some police depts are using their optics on duty rifles. I have no way to verify it since I am not LE but thought I would throw that in. I do have a 503GU on my sons rifle and it has been flawless but this has only been limited use in indoor ranges.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    705
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    Just picked up the Holosun 503g to put on my home defense rifle. Does anyone have one that can tell me if it will hold up over time? I like the nice clear reticle and the fact that it turns on as soon as I pick the gun up without having to mess with any switches.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

    I have a couple. Used them on ARs (including on both of my meltdown uppers FWIW), AKs with gas tube mounts, PCCs, etc... I've yet to have one fail but I have broken 2 factory AR height mounts. Optics were fine; just sheared the portion where it screws in on both mounts.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,307
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I just picked up one of these from American Defense MFG

    Holosun HS503GU-GR Elite w/ Co-Witness Mount / Item No: AD-HS503GU-GR-ELITE-10-PKG

    Going on an 11.5" AR-556 pistol, SBA3 brace, No BUIS as of now

    Last edited by RWH24; 05-19-18 at 15:14.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!


    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on my list.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Feedback Score
    0
    Similar experience here with the crappy mounts; broke one and bent the other. I have two of these and the optic itself seems pretty darn solid. I have one mounted on my Buckmark and another on a "loaner" AR. While I haven't had any issues with the optics themselves, I can afford better quality for my serious use weapons.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    I have a couple. Used them on ARs (including on both of my meltdown uppers FWIW), AKs with gas tube mounts, PCCs, etc... I've yet to have one fail but I have broken 2 factory AR height mounts. Optics were fine; just sheared the portion where it screws in on both mounts.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    195
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Run N Shoot View Post
    Take this for what it is worth but the rep at the Holosun booth at the NRA meeting said some police depts are using their optics on duty rifles. I have no way to verify it since I am not LE but thought I would throw that in. I do have a 503GU on my sons rifle and it has been flawless but this has only been limited use in indoor ranges.
    I would believe that some officers may be using them on their rifles if the department doesn't have an SOP out on allowed optics. My agency has a list of allowed optics on rifles. Trijicon, aimpoint, eotech, and believe it or not TRS-25 is on there to use. But nothing else.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •