Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun 503g

Feedback Score
    Just an FYI; I was in a Travis Haley D5 Carbine course a couple of weekends ago and Travis was running a Romeo 4M (made by Holosun) on a Scalarworks mount. I asked him about it and he said they beat the shit out them in classes and haven't had any issues. He also mentioned the Holosuns have done well. From what I can tell, the Romeo 4M appears to be the same as the Holosun 503GU, though I could be mistaken. I run one on my VEPR AK and decided to get a 503GU for my primary AR, since my EOTech XPS2-2 decided to blink on me during one of the drills.

Pic of Haley's carbine:

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've never looked at Holosun optics before and now I have a couple of questions:

1. Are they compatible with mounts for the Aimpoint T1/H1?
    2. Is the reticle etched or projected?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    1. Are they compatible with mounts for the Aimpoint T1/H1?
    2. Is the reticle etched or projected?
    1. Yes
    2. Projected

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have Holosuns, Sigs, and PAs on several fun guns that get run a lot and never had a real problem. The worst issue I have seen is the auto on function needing a bit of a shake to come on. Some get tossed around and beat up more than my too many serious guns with Aimpoints and Trijicons.

The OEM mounts are definitely much lower quality and all mine get tossed and switched out for quality Micro compatible mounts.

They have proven themselves to be much better than your average knockoff junk, but at their price point they just can't have the same general build quality and especially QC of hard use brands.

But I would likely choose one over irons if it came down to it...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehammer69 View Post
    1. Yes
    2. Projected
    Thank you.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have Holosuns, Sigs, and PAs on several fun guns that get run a lot and never had a real problem. The worst issue I have seen is the auto on function needing a bit of a shake to come on. Some get tossed around and beat up more than my too many serious guns with Aimpoints and Trijicons.

The OEM mounts are definitely much lower quality and all mine get tossed and switched out for quality Micro compatible mounts.

They have proven themselves to be much better than your average knockoff junk, but at their price point they just can't have the same general build quality and especially QC of hard use brands.

But I would likely choose one over irons if it came down to it...

Dennis.

Agree, but here’s this: run 45* offset irons like the Dueck Defense, or Mag Pul Pros, and you’re gtg. This way if you pull up and your optic is dead, quick roll to the inside and you’re shooting your irons. All good. ��

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    Agree, but here’s this: run 45* offset irons like the Dueck Defense, or Mag Pul Pros, and you’re gtg. This way if you pull up and your optic is dead, quick roll to the inside and you’re shooting your irons. All good. ��
    I meant in the moment with no other options available. If you can afford offset BUIS buy an Aimpoint instead!

I do use offset BUIS with LPVO.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another happy Holosun customer.

re: quality

In AR-terms, they feel like an M&P15 or Ruger AR-556. Not top of the line like BCM, LMT, Noveske, etc (which would be your Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon, etc), but they're not truly budget Delton or Olympic ARs (which would be your Sightmark, Vortex Sparc, etc).

If I was going overseas again, I'd much rather have the Trijicon ACOG I was issued, but now that I'm a pogue reservist who goes to the range a few times a year? The mid-tier grade will do just nicely.

re: features

What I really appreciate about the Holosun 5xx series is that they have a 65 MOA circle (great for close quarters work) and "shake-awake" functionality (I like that I don't have to fumble with a button). Again, for my application (suburban dad, home defense), they're sufficient. For LEOs and active duty military in harm's way, I can't speak to that level of durability.

P.S. For those confused by all the different model numbers, here is a blurb from the Holosun website: "HS = Holosun; 1st digit = 4 for 2 moa dot only reticle, 5 for 2 moa dot with a 65 moa circle reticle; 2nd digit = 0 for standard accessories, 1 for upgraded accessories (kill-flash filter, Quick release mount and flip lens covers), 3rd digit = 0, 1 or 2 for an infinity 30 mm tube red dot, 3 for a micro red dot Final letter = C for solar, all others for battery powered only."
    https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=22
    Last edited by butlers; 06-02-18 at 23:08.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards."
    William Francis Butler

Feedback Score
    I picked up from AKOU (unbelievably fast shipping as always. Do u make Veronica run down to post office like Santa Elf?). It looks great and I absolutely love the reticle. Brilliant concept.

Anyway, I will be zeroing likely tomorrow or this weekend on AKM 7.62x39.

Vern raises a really good question about the position of the dots and the front sight post. I had not considered this. You had mentioned the Magpul cheek riser as one way to work w this and Vern mentioned raising his cheek weld a bit.

I will check this out on my own, but I am wondering if the ultra-low mounts like RS Reg and Ultimak are somewhat overkill or wasted on this optic because of the vertical dot BDC function of the reticle?

You give up maybe lowest co-witness w Chevron but gain advantages of super light red dot w BDC and rangeing capabilities.

Is that a fair summary?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Eh, i'd disagree.

The holosun and PA optics have proven themselves past the point of "hobby grade."

They're really impressive red dots.
    @bodhi , I tend to agree with you. I am a scope snob, but these two outfits, although Chinese made (and Holosun manufacturers for PA), and while I agree to a limited extent with @thehammer69 and @RHINOWSO , Aimpoint is a far better red-dot, the quality of Holosun and PA have come up consistently each year, and are solid performers for budget minded enthusiasts. I would recommend either of those, over a Vortex, fwiw.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast