Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Form 4 for M16A1 Returned For Correction

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had an agent email me to ask if he could make a correction to an error he spotted on my Form 1/Trust app. Dude probably saved me several weeks in the mail and routing process alone!

Feedback Score
    Guys, you'll love this. I received 20 fingerprint cards that I ordered from the ATF's website. I got off work a little early today, so I went by our county's sheriff's office to get correct fingerprint cards printed. Previously, the fee to have this done was $5 and they'd print as many as you wanted if you provided the cards. It was that way for over ten years. So the lady takes me in to the room where they do the fingerprinting using an optical machine. I hand her the stack of cards and she gets kind of a blank stare on her face. Then she asks if I know that the fee is now $20 per card! I tell her no and I can see that she feels bad and doesn't know what to say. She shows me a piece of paper that indicates the $20 fee per card. I then asked her who I could talk to about it. She called her boss and he came over a few minutes later. I explained the whole thing about how I've been doing this for years and it has never been more than just a few dollars for as many as I wanted printed. He said that he needed to talk to his Major about it and asked for my phone number. He said that his Major might have to talk with the sheriff. I wasn't about to drop $400 on finger print cards, so I had to leave and wait for the call. I'll go to the sheriff if I have to. This is simply a backdoor tax as the fee is way beyond what their cost could ever be calculated to be.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Guys, you'll love this. I received 20 fingerprint cards that I ordered from the ATF's website. I got off work a little early today, so I went by our county's sheriff's office to get correct fingerprint cards printed. Previously, the fee to have this done was $5 and they'd print as many as you wanted if you provided the cards. It was that way for over ten years. So the lady takes me in to the room where they do the fingerprinting using an optical machine. I hand her the stack of cards and she gets kind of a blank stare on her face. Then she asks if I know that the fee is now $20 per card! I tell her no and I can see that she feels bad and doesn't know what to say. She shows me a piece of paper that indicates the $20 fee per card. I then asked her who I could talk to about it. She called her boss and he came over a few minutes later. I explained the whole thing about how I've been doing this for years and it has never been more than just a few dollars for as many as I wanted printed. He said that he needed to talk to his Major about it and asked for my phone number. He said that his Major might have to talk with the sheriff. I wasn't about to drop $400 on finger print cards, so I had to leave and wait for the call. I'll go to the sheriff if I have to. This is simply a backdoor tax as the fee is way beyond what their cost could ever be calculated to be.
    So just roll your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Are you submitting 20 forms or trying to keep some for later? You're not supposed to keep to them on hand. They're supposed to be sent timely. If they're dated when rolled and signed and you submit them later they're likely to be kicked back. $20 is a reasonable fee. It's $25 each here in Vermont. I used the electronic option at the LGS for mine recently. I think it was $20 or $25.

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If I was your examiner I’d send it back denied. If you can’t spell your own name you probably shouldn’t own an automatic weapon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    So just roll your own?
    Honestly, I didn't know that was allowable. I made the assumption that some sort of law enforcement officer had to take the prints due to the box labeled "Signature of Official Taking Fingerprints". Would I be correct to think that you'd just leave that box blank or do you have to sign your own name there as well?

Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Are you submitting 20 forms or trying to keep some for later? You're not supposed to keep to them on hand. They're supposed to be sent timely. If they're dated when rolled and signed and you submit them later they're likely to be kicked back.
    I keep them for later so that I don't have to get prints made every time I want to do a form. I've done twenty at a time for years and never had one kicked back, even at almost two years old. I've been doing this for over ten years.

$20 is a reasonable fee. It's $25 each here in Vermont. I used the electronic option at the LGS for mine recently. I think it was $20 or $25.
    $20 might be reasonable for having someone roll your prints on the optical machine and print one card, but $400 is not reasonable for having someone roll your prints and telling the program to print 20 cards that I've supplied. Last I checked, the local sheriff's department is supposed to serve it's citizens, not look at them as an avenue for back door revenue collection schemes. I certainly don't mind covering true costs for the service, but $400 is out of line considering that the person making the prints is already being paid (using my tax dollars), the finger print machine was paid for long ago (again using my tax dollars) and the cost of prints is literally well less than $0.10 each. [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    If I was your examiner I’d send it back denied. If you can’t spell your own name you probably shouldn’t own an automatic weapon.
    Then you obviously should be put in such a position of power because you'd admittedly abuse it based on your own personal whims. FYI, I didn't misspell my name. The officer who took my prints last time copied my middle name incorrectly off of my driver's license when she entered it in to the computer, using an e instead of an a for the second to last character. She signed them each as they were printing, so I didn't really have the opportunity to look them over before she signed them. I should have double checked everything afterward, but just immediately left instead. My bad on that, but the whole thing is stupid considering that they already have my fingerprints many times over.

I'm really surprised at how willing some gun owners are to accept all of the bureaucratic crap that does nothing to prevent or reduce crime. In all honesty, the cost of all this should be $0 because we shouldn't have to go through it. Having the feds hit me for $200 a pop for nothing but hassle is bad enough. I'm not going to accept a $40 per gun fee from our new supposedly 2nd Amendment supporting sheriff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Honestly, I didn't know that was allowable. I made the assumption that some sort of law enforcement officer had to take the prints due to the box labeled "Signature of Official Taking Fingerprints". Would I be correct to think that you'd just leave that box blank or do you have to sign your own name there as well?
    See if this helps: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...77#post2345177

Feedback Score
    Yes, very helpful. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I didn't received a call back from the sheriff's department, so I went back over there today. The people that I spoke with last time were not there, so I had to explain the whole situation again. The first deputy that I spoke with came right out and said that $20 per card was too much. He also said that they'd likely reprint them for me because of their mistake, but he'd have to talk with the person in charge who was at lunch. I told him that I'd go home to eat lunch and come back later. When I returned, he told me that the person in charge of fingerprint said they would do mine for free. The deputy on his own also said that he really thinks that $20 is unreasonable. He said that he was going to suggest a fee of $20 per session and then a fixed amount per additional card. He called a lady over who takes fingerprints and we went in to the room with the machine. I was talking with her about the situation and she told me that the fee of $200 per card only applies if they supply the card. She said that if you supply the cards, then it's simply a $20 flat fee. I told her that's not what the people I spoke with two days ago said and what the deputy I just spoke with was saying. After we finished with the fingerprinting and printing all 20 cards, she came out of the room and explained to the deputy that it should only be a $20 flat fee for those who supply their own cards. He was like, ok. So the bottom line here is that there appears to be confusion among those who are implementing the change from the flat $5 fee to the $20 fee as to exactly what should be charged for each additional card printed. I'm thinking that they'll get it sorted out. Regardless, I'm set on fingerprint cards for a while.

On a side note, while I was in there a guy came in and asked to be fingerprinted. The deputy asked what for and he said a NFA trust for a suppressor. He went on to tell the deputy that his father was buying two suppressors on their new trust and he was informed that he needed two cards per suppressor. The previous time he was there he only got two cards printed because he thought that only one card was required for each. After he sat down it dawned on me that he wasn't carrying anything. I asked him if he had is fingerprint cards and he said no, they have them here. I then informed him that unless the ATF has changed their guidelines, they require their supplied cards that have the ATF specific stamp on it. As I was leaving, he went outside as well, called someone and explained what I told him. That person confirmed what I said, so he left. He'd have been quite disappointed if he waited 6+ months only to find out that he had paid $80 for fingerprinting on cards only to have them rejected.

Feedback Score
    You know if you go to the BATFE website you can get the blank cards sent to you for free and just roll your own prints. As long as they are your own the ATF could care less who took them. If you don’t know how just search for a YT video. Basically, roll from edge to edge, avoid smears. Go light on the ink. Practice on paper first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast