Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Hat Are You Wearing?

Feedback Score

What Hat Are You Wearing?

As discussed in another thread, I favor an Akubra Australian military slouch hat converted to a "safari" hat.

I convert it by removing the hardware that allows you to pin one brim up (why wear a brimmed hat if you're going to pin one side up?).

Then I order the real military puggaree from Lawrance Ordnance https://www.lawranceordnance.com/, and complete the image. I discard the cheesy green puggaree that comes with the hat. Apparently the hats shipped to the US are in the configuration ordered by the Haitian military, and that's why you don't get the genuine Australian 7-pleat pug with it to begin with. I also remove the chin strap since it's barely adjustable and a nuisance.

I always was a fan of the Tarzan/Jungle/Safari movies of yesteryear, and this seems as close as I can get to the "reel" thing.

I did some research, and a lot of the photos I found of big game hunters in Africa of the last 150 years or so seem to show the person wearing that era's equivalent of the Australian slouch hat! So I feel I've "nailed" the authenticity on this.

For those that don't know, Akubras are made in Australia and distributed through https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/pro...hat-open-crown

The slouch hat comes with an open crown, so I always pay them the extra twenty bucks to put a bash on it.

Akubras are built to last. If you're looking for a hat that is "dressy" and meant to be worn to dinner or something, then Akubra probably isn't for you. But if you're out in the sticks and need a hat that can be dropped, blown off, rained on, and dropped in a volcano, then Akubra is a tough hat that can withstand a lot of abuse.

It's a little dark in the pic, but the hat is an olive green (British Khaki) with a greenish-tan khaki puggaree that can easily be removed if necessary.

SAFARI HAT AKUBRA.jpg

What hat are you wearing?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 05-24-18 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I wish I could post an equal amount... But, its not super special.

Here's my EDH:

I follow the #HUSHLife.

I would say I wear this hat 90% of my hours awake every day.

Considering it was the most I ever spent on just a ball cap, I worry about it in the winds. For other stuff I have our local little league hat I wear to support the Nephew's league.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-24-18 at 13:59.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I have a whole mess of RAA death card hats, a few BCM and Noveske hats, and just got a Giessele hat today in my swag. The RAA hats are my favorite; light weight, no annoying rivot, perfect rim padding, and the death card is awesome looking and great history. Add pics later.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A Texas OGT ball cap is my go to. The hat has a nice patina to go along with a noticeable, but not overpowering, smell of man sweat.

I instantly know someone is a cool cat if they mention the hat. I can then stop thinking about which method of throat punch to utilize, where the nearest cover is and carry on a conversation.

Feedback Score
    There are two other hats I have a soft spot for, and own a couple of each.

One, the Civil War forage cap (not kepi) like the one the little black kid wore in the "Wee Pals" cartoons I loved as a kid.

I wear one to gun shows and shoots and always get a compliment or two.

Mine comes from Dirty Billy's, a known and respected sutler of all hats Civil War:

http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/

us20.jpg

WeePals_740x440.jpg

The other hat is the Soviet ushanka, complete with badge. I own a couple of these, complete with Cyrillic stampings on the inside and a date of 1978.

Yes, I left the Soviet red star badge on it for the "cool" factor. It doesn't get that cold here during the winter, so mostly it stays in the closet.

ushanka.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 05-24-18 at 14:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If at an outdoor event, doing yard work, etc. that is going to keep me outside for an extended period of time in the sun I go with a boonie style hat from Outdoor Research like their Helios sun hat. If it's wet out then their Seattle Sombrero.

For cold weather again I don Outdoor Research beanies and watch caps.

As for the venerable ball cap I like sporting hats with flags instead of a logo of some sort, I have multiple American flag and Texas flag caps from everyone from Tactical Tailor to BCM.

Saw a large body builder type wear a pink "pu$$y hat" in the NRA show with a pro 2nd t-shirt lol.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 05-24-18 at 15:24.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Working outdoors, probably a boonie hat of some variety. At the range or doing training, then usually a short brim boonie hat (Tyr Huron) or Outdoor Research pocket radar cap.

If it's casual, I've grown fond of my Slangvel M43
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Outdoors in sun doing yardwork, etc. - an OR boonie or a DPC twill/mesh safari hat.

Otherwise either a flexfit or fitted ball cap with the beanie button removed - local high school, KU or UNKearney are the ones I wear most often.

I'll wear a fairly covert firearms related velcro adjustable ball cap with the beanie button removed when I'm going to the range, otherwise nope.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Outdoors in sun doing yardwork, etc. - an OR boonie or a DPC twill/mesh safari hat.

Otherwise either a flexfit or fitted ball cap with the beanie button removed - local high school, KU or UNKearney are the ones I wear most often.

I'll wear a fairly covert firearms related velcro adjustable ball cap with the beanie button removed when I'm going to the range, otherwise nope.
    Is removing the beanie button a simple matter of snipping the threads under it?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast