G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Most reliable QD scope mount for ARs?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Evergreen State
    Posts
    568
    Feedback Score
    74 (100%)
    Steve Fisher turned me onto the MI mounts and they are pretty much all I use for QD mounts. I run an Accupower in an MI 1.93 mount and it is rock solid. For non QD, Geissele all the way, but for QD, MI is good to go. They have a superior locking mechanism compared to the ADM mounts and the RTZ has not been an issue for me with either RDS or LPVO’s.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

    - George Orwell

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    925
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is MI at the level of bobro?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    289
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am curious, why quick release ?? I don’t get the fascination with QR. when you mount an optic, you want it stable. Through thick and thin, up, down, etc. You do not want any movement in the optic or mount. Guys get attached to QR, and I used to be as well. My line of thinking was, “if my scope goes down or gets broken, I can flip it off, out of the way, and do work with my optics.” Well......here’s the truth: scopes don’t break much anymore. Not the good ones at least, and if your scope becomes so damaged in a firefight that it is no good.....I predict bigger problems than just flipping the scope off with your QR mount. Also.....here’s the answer: 45* offset sights. MagPul Pro, offset at a 45* angle. You don’t even have to remove your scope....you turn the gun and drive on.

    I admit, I was all about the QR too. However, as someone who shoots a rifle almost daily, at the very least weekly, as a full time LEO Trainer/Armorer, 3Gun competitor, and a PRS shooter, I’ve just never been in any situation that couldn’t be solved by offset sights.

    If you’re reasoning is changing the scope to another rifle, keep a wrench in your bag. Problem solved.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    166
    Feedback Score
    0
    QD mounts have more parts therefore inherently less reliable/strong compare to fixed mounts which ultimately has more contact points to the rail.

    Heard that straight from Mr. Spuhr himself.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,511
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I am curious, why quick release ?? I don’t get the fascination with QR. when you mount an optic, you want it stable. Through thick and thin, up, down, etc. You do not want any movement in the optic or mount. Guys get attached to QR, and I used to be as well. My line of thinking was, “if my scope goes down or gets broken, I can flip it off, out of the way, and do work with my optics.” Well......here’s the truth: scopes don’t break much anymore. Not the good ones at least, and if your scope becomes so damaged in a firefight that it is no good.....I predict bigger problems than just flipping the scope off with your QR mount. Also.....here’s the answer: 45* offset sights. MagPul Pro, offset at a 45* angle. You don’t even have to remove your scope....you turn the gun and drive on.

    I admit, I was all about the QR too. However, as someone who shoots a rifle almost daily, at the very least weekly, as a full time LEO Trainer/Armorer, 3Gun competitor, and a PRS shooter, I’ve just never been in any situation that couldn’t be solved by offset sights.

    If you’re reasoning is changing the scope to another rifle, keep a wrench in your bag. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    QD mounts have more parts therefore inherently less reliable/strong compare to fixed mounts which ultimately has more contact points to the rail.

    Heard that straight from Mr. Spuhr himself.
    I agree, to that end...new thread
    Which are your favorite NON-QD scope mounts for an AR?
    E pluribus unum

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    30
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm still not seeing how the Bobro is commanding $250 plus?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Herndon,VA
    Posts
    794
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I am curious, why quick release ?? I’ve just never been in any situation that couldn’t be solved by offset sights.
    Off set sights are not an option on the work rifle. Everytime you take the rifle out of the rack in the air conditioned car in the 90 percent humidity weather the scope gets moisture on it. Can't see a thing for a few minutes. AP pro and VX-R do the same thing. Flip caps don't help. David

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    138
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I am curious, why quick release ?? I donít get the fascination with QR. when you mount an optic, you want it stable. Through thick and thin, up, down, etc. You do not want any movement in the optic or mount. Guys get attached to QR, and I used to be as well. My line of thinking was, ďif my scope goes down or gets broken, I can flip it off, out of the way, and do work with my optics.Ē Well......hereís the truth: scopes donít break much anymore. Not the good ones at least, and if your scope becomes so damaged in a firefight that it is no good.....I predict bigger problems than just flipping the scope off with your QR mount. Also.....hereís the answer: 45* offset sights. MagPul Pro, offset at a 45* angle. You donít even have to remove your scope....you turn the gun and drive on.

    I admit, I was all about the QR too. However, as someone who shoots a rifle almost daily, at the very least weekly, as a full time LEO Trainer/Armorer, 3Gun competitor, and a PRS shooter, Iíve just never been in any situation that couldnít be solved by offset sights.

    If youíre reasoning is changing the scope to another rifle, keep a wrench in your bag. Problem solved.
    Plus, if something happens to your primary optic to the point of it becoming unusable, aren't you going to be unmounting it for repair,replacement anyway necessitating removal from the gun/mount anyway? Then you will obviously be rezeroing.
    I too used to concern myself with a reliable scope mount, and being able to find few that offered everything in reality that qd is supposed to offer in theory without emptying my bank account I abandoned the notion that a qd mount was needed for optics.
    Dueck Defense or KAC 45degree offset irons are awesome.
    Last edited by BillB; 05-27-18 at 09:28.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Evergreen State
    Posts
    568
    Feedback Score
    74 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Is MI at the level of bobro?
    I do not own a Bobro, so I cannot comment on it, but it does get very favorable reviews. The MI QD mounts that I own have all been excellent with RTZ in my experience. Steve Fisher has a few videos on YouTube with them in use, as well. Steve is a long time friend and I will always trust his word on things like this.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

    - George Orwell

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    289
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    Off set sights are not an option on the work rifle. Everytime you take the rifle out of the rack in the air conditioned car in the 90 percent humidity weather the scope gets moisture on it. Can't see a thing for a few minutes. AP pro and VX-R do the same thing. Flip caps don't help. David
    Why are offset sights a “no go” on the work gun? Unless it is a Sniper Rifle and you’re talking about having to jump out and within moments take a precision shot, offsets would work. The ones I’m referring to do not require you to look through the scope at all. That’s the point. You physically rotate the gun inward and have a set of sights to line up.

    Unless you’re saying your department will not let you, in which case, wow.....I would campaign hard to get that changed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •