Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two stage/single stage?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

Two stage/single stage?

Opinions wanted on this for precision bolt gun(s).

I've been a single stage guy for years.
    Discovered that a properly adjusted two stage (20 oz./20 oz.) gives me better results.
    My thinking is with a two stage I stay with the scope and focus on sight picture/trigger control, without the single stage "wall"- and knowing when it will break.
    My tendency is to "stab" a single stage when sight alignment is ON, of course resulting in a blown shot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I messed around with the Geisselle bolt gun two stage trigger at SHOT. I was impressed. I’d look at that.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I run a Huber in my custom creedmoor and I really enjoy it.

It’s not the lightest by any means but I like being able to take up the first stage and then getting to the hard wall. Then I focus on all the other stuff that goes into breaking the shot and pull past the wall when I’m ready.

I have shot just both extremely light single stage and two stage triggers that were highly tuned. The single stages are not for me as they usually set so light that you just put your finger on the trigger and it breaks.

If your truly going for the “when the shot breaks it should be a surprise” approach then a light single stage is for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Having only used single stage triggers for many years I felt they were the only way to go. Enter an AIAT and the two stage trigger of an AI has convinced me that the only rifle, bolt or gas, that should have a single stage trigger is a bench gun.
    The take up and subsequent wall before second stage breaking gives me the opportunity to get out of the trigger and the way the trigger breaks is phenomenal.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    G, I have run nothing but 2 stage G SSA triggers on my AR's. And nothing but single stage 2.5 to 3.0lb Timneys on my Bolt guns. Its interesting to hear others people experiences. Tagged for info.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’m curious as well PB.
    Having shot tuned 1911s for a lifetime I’ve always run single stage on my long guns, including ARs.

My recent experience with a good two stage on a bolt gun has me reconsidering.
    I am equally accurate with either to a point, but more consistent with the two stage.
    I seem to have less called fliers with the two stage.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Trigger break should never be a surprise in my opinion, whether single stage or 2 stage. I run a Huber 2 Stage in my 700 action. Run Geissele 2 stages in AR's and other firearms they make them for. The best two stage I've ever had was on my SAKO TRG22 and TRG42. The adjustability of the position, and reach of the trigger shoe was nice and slightly edged out the AI 2 stage trigger IMO - although they are nice as well.

Feedback Score
    Jethro,
    I agree, I’v Never understand the concept of “surprise”. Engaging the trigger and pressing until the sear releases is and should be a deliberate action. I don’t want “surprises”, I want to know exactly when the round is fired.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If any of you are looking for a two stage you owe yourself to try a Huber.

They are damn. Ice and have a very defined wall before the break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm a solid two stage guy. Took me awhile to figure it out, as I was a 1911 guy for years (still have and enjoy them, but now carry a Glock), and my first precision rifle was an R700 PSS with a VERY nice single stage trigger. I waffled back and forth a few times on ARs and then on another boltgun before I settled on a two stage. My thinking is that I'm afforded a small measure of safety during the first stage where I can be SURE I'm ready to break the shot. I also feel I have much better control of the break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast