Thread: Ruger Match Champion

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ruger Match Champion

So I handled one again at my LGS. It had the fixed sights with front FO which just came up spot on. The action felt good too. So my question is; any known issues with this model? Anything one should be aware of prior to buying?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Only thing you should be aware of is the wood is not comfortable with 357 magnum rounds and, if it's your first revolver, it can become addictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by amd5007 View Post
    Only thing you should be aware of is the wood is not comfortable with 357 magnum rounds and, if it's your first revolver, it can become addictive.
    Not my first revolver. I already have a older Smith 686, 13 and 18. But getting better sights is an expensive undertaking and requires modding the pistol. The Ruger is G2G out of the box. My use is competition primarily followed by SD. I also noticed it handled differently than the 686 by reason of being a little lighter, more like a Smith K frame. I did like the way it handled.

It's between a magnified optic for the carbine and a new pistol. The 686 doesn't really hold me back but the lack of a magnified optic does on the 200-300m range.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own the fixed sight version you describe and love it. I agree that the wood grip, while working really well with target .38s, is not the best choice for a diet of .357. Still haven’t decided what to buy to replace the grip but the pistol will be going out latter this year to be cut for moon clips, removal of a lot of the Ruger crap, and a couple other things done to it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmiller View Post
    I own the fixed sight version you describe and love it. I agree that the wood grip, while working really well with target .38s, is not the best choice for a diet of .357. Still haven’t decided what to buy to replace the grip but the pistol will be going out latter this year to be cut for moon clips, removal of a lot of the Ruger crap, and a couple other things done to it.
    Who's your Ruger wheelgun-smith?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It will be Ten Ring Precision in San Antonio.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amd5007 View Post
    Yup. My SP101 was brutal, with the standard grips, when shooting .357 loads. I had to change it out with the Tamer grips.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.