Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Wireless routers and other tech things

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I'm wondering if all of this stuff is way more complicated than I need. I'd only use two ports - one for the PS4 and one for the Verizon network extender and just something strong enough to cover the whole house.
    If you already have a modem/router with 4 ports on it, that is all you need along with the Ubiquiti AP for starters. The AP will take 1 of those 4 ports and you will use 2 more and have 1 spare. Then just get into your router webpage and turn off the existIng WiFi on that router because you will no longer need it due to the new AP you will be adding. All you will need to do is run a Cat5e or Cat6 cable from your router to your desired centralized AP location.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 11-13-19 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Wireless routers and other tech things

I have a Netgear C6220 so only two ports unfortunately. The PS4 is plugged into it and right now is showing a download speed of 130.5 MBPS and upload speed of 3.0 MBPS. My iPhone X that’s maybe 10 feet away is showing download of 13.22 and upload of 6.03. When I go upstairs about the furthest corner of the house, I get 13.23 and 11.34. The last one doesn’t seem right but I guess it was at least when I tested it.

I don’t know if any of that means anything. This is the first house we’ve ever had serious trouble covering, but cell service sucks in the neighborhood too.

My xfinity plan is supposed to include download speeds up to 500 MBPS. I know it probably wouldn’t regardless of what equipment I have, but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-13-19 at 21:10.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You need a switch to connect more than 1 or 2 items to your router.

If you run Ubiquiti AP's you will need one, especially if you want to keep your PS4 hard wired.

The AP's need POE which you can either buy the POE capable switch or you can use POE injectors. The switch is the cleaner way. The injectors is the cheaper way.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you have a free port on your router you can add an AP there without adding a switch.

Most of the Unifi APs have historically come with poe injectors (power over ethernet), so its just a matter of cabling at that point.

You don't need a dedicated or 24x7 to get started. The unifi controller software will run on windows, mac, linux, or even NAS or similar.

I ran my initial unifi APs for over 2 years just using the controller software on a mac when i needed to make a config chg or firmware update. They do not need the controller to operate, just for config. And I started with one sharing an ssid with my consumer grade router.

So you could add an AP for $65-85 and fill in the hole. Or spend much more on matching ap's.

You will likely want a 24x7 controller down the road, and cloudkeys (controller dongle) are cheap. And now they have integrated devices.

As you add devices and APs it will be handy to add a switch to get more ether ports. I used dumb switches (and still do for some things, GS108s) for a long time. And if you plan to have cameras and multi APs, a POE switch makes sense to eliminate multiple POE injectors. You also get more control with a managed switch.

As to the cameras, rarely are the hard core camera guys happy with the unifi approach. No pan/tilt, few 4k options, 24 camera limit, etc.

But they are cheap (good value), reliable, easy to use/manage centrally, and have no license fees. Just easy to setup a house, office, marina, etc. You can run the base software on pcs or their nvrs. I'm playing with a flex and for $85 and no license fees its a nice unit. I'm running the nvr on an old laptop. You access it via http, so it can sit in a closet.

If you like to tinker with your cameras and play with different software, you'll want something else. If you just want them to work, be easy to manage/maintain, then unifis are an easy pic.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a Netgear C6220 so only two ports unfortunately.

Snip

My xfinity plan is supposed to include download speeds up to 500 MBPS. I know it probably wouldn’t regardless of what equipment I have, but still.
    Many consumer routers can't handle even 100-150 mbps while doing NAT, etc.

Biggest hint is if the wan is not gigabit ether, you'll never see full speeds.

Even with gig ether wan, many routers don't have enough cou or hw offloading to run faster. I was grumbling at xfinity until I switch over from my older mikrotik router to an edgerouter capable of 1gbit throughput with NAT, etc.

You may want to test at the cable modem with a known good gig ether device... Most have basic firewalls in place unless you put them in bridge mode. If it does not get close to advertised, have comcast come out to address.

Lastly, many handheld devices throttle down. Or will only do N150, etc. Ive learned not to trust handheld devices for meaningful speed tests. Just not enough cpu.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ahh, I see the Netgear C6220 is a docsis 3.0 device. Their spec sheet says download up to 340 mbps. You'll need a 3.1 device to go faster.

You should still see an easy 300 from a gig ether device direct connected. If not, check to see how many channels/streams are bonded.

Feedback Score
    While we have the tech heads here, I'm looking for a way to merge two different USB cameras into one image. I see a hardware way to do it, but $1995 is more than I really wanted to pay. I thought $19.95 for an app to do it would be too much..

https://inogeni.com/product/inogeni-share-2u

We have too big of a screen for our web room. Put the camera below it and it is too low and you see the front people and the ceiling. On top and it looks like the view from a snipers nest. Who knew that you could have too big of a screen. Thought about a camera on each side of the screen, middle from top to bottom so that it shot the opposite side of the conference table that view the screen. Then merge the images. Rarely is there someone at the far end of the table. Seems like it would give the best perspective. Cropped 16:9 images or two 4:3 images would make a synthetic wide screen image and I think help with all the viewing/distortion issues. 2/3 of the current image from the web camera is the ceiling, with the lights blowing the sensor and darkening the rest of the image.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Ahh, I see the Netgear C6220 is a docsis 3.0 device. Their spec sheet says download up to 340 mbps. You'll need a 3.1 device to go faster.

You should still see an easy 300 from a gig ether device direct connected. If not, check to see how many channels/streams are bonded.
    Good call pulling up the specs. That's exactly what I was going to do.

Also as someone stated, when testing speeds you want to do it as close to the source with as little other devices accessing the network as possible. When we install a new circuit for a customer we generate a certificate showing the throughput. We typically run this test with a gig capable laptop or a device that is built for this purpose (exfo bv-10)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don't plan on using any cameras. Our ADT system already has two and while I want one more, I'd just add it to that so that they're all on the same interface. If the APs are powered over Ethernet though, that means they'd have to be plugged in. I thought an AP was a wireless extender that you'd plug in on a different floor to boost signal in a dead zone?

ETA: so I re-looked at videos to get a better understanding. My initial search only showed installs for some reason but I just found a lot more, one of which lead me to their AmpliFi HD. Any thoughts on that? Seems much more what I'm used to and looking for. I don't have huge requirements and the speed I get from my current setup is typically 70% of what I need. I just want a little bit more and some extra power to reach the upstairs and basement. Although I assume I'd still have to buy a modem and it doesn't look like they sell one of those so I wouldn't know what to go with.
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-14-19 at 12:54.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't plan on using any cameras. Our ADT system already has two and while I want one more, I'd just add it to that so that they're all on the same interface. If the APs are powered over Ethernet though, that means they'd have to be plugged in. I thought an AP was a wireless extender that you'd plug in on a different floor to boost signal in a dead zone?

ETA: so I re-looked at videos to get a better understanding. My initial search only showed installs for some reason but I just found a lot more, one of which lead me to their AmpliFi HD. Any thoughts on that? Seems much more what I'm used to and looking for. I don't have huge requirements and the speed I get from my current setup is typically 70% of what I need. I just want a little bit more and some extra power to reach the upstairs and basement. Although I assume I'd still have to buy a modem and it doesn't look like they sell one of those so I wouldn't know what to go with.
    THe AmplifiHD would work I guess, but if you are going with a mesh system, the Netgear Orbi would be your best bet, since it has a dedicated band just used for backhaul to the router.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast