Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Wireless routers and other tech things

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    From what I am understanding to spoof the AT&T router/wireless you hook everything up with the AT&T router, get online, then there are a bunch of settings you have to pull off of it, you then program your router to match those settings and then put your router in place of the AT&T router, without powering anything down. If you lose power you have to hook the AT&T router back up and start over because the AT&T router is what does the initial handshake with the AT&T servers. I read that AT&T can force a "hand shake", but rarely ever do. Worse case is you go offline and have to go through the process again.

As far as the Synology, im just looking at their dual HD 1U rack mount setup to use as an NAS. The Ubiquiti cameras have their own NVR.

And yes the MM is to run between the two Ubiquiti switches via SFP adapters.

And this whole discussion became basically a moot point when the builder low voltage rep told me today they can do 1.5" conduit no problem...wish he had told me that last week when I asked about 1.5" conduit vs. the 1" .
    Well, good for you. Problem solved! The spoofing thing sounds like a pain in the ass. You know a handshake will occur right when you are watching the Super Bowl or College Bowl game (I stream all my tv)...in the 4th quarter...final drive for the win. That AT&T router takes forever to boot up. I would be cussing and throwing a fit while my wife would be wondering wtf was happening as I reboot everything while constantly swearing at nobody. LOL

Good luck with the Ubiquiti cameras, I like their premise, but I don't have any professional experience using them. Their lower end stuff has not tested very well through IPVM (an IP camera testing and reviewing website for the industry), but they have not really tested their Pro stuff as of yet, so it might be that they have improved things a lot in that lineup. IPVM should test it, they haven't really gone back to test their new stuff at all yet. I really wish Ubiquiti would offer 3rd party support of cameras and allow other cameras to be used on their NVR and just charge a licensing fee if using 3rd party and get a free license if buying their camera. I think their surveillance side would absolutely blow up and they would make a killing, but what do I know.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 11-13-19 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The spoofing thing may indeed be a PITA, but from what I am reading, their router can modify something(packets????) in real time and slow your speeds down, but when you take it out of the loop, obviously they cant do that and peoples speeds go up dramatically. As far as the handshake thing, one guy said he went like 18 months or something between handshakes. I dont think its "wide spread" of people spoofing their routers so AT&T probably doesnt watch for it regularly. I am planning on running a UPS on all this equipment so power outages shouldnt affect me unless it goes on for a long time.

As far as the Ubiquiti cameras, I havent read much bad on them. There is some app functionality people wish was different, but Ubiquiti seems to be transitioning their camera line into a product family called "Protect" which will also include some home access things, security and the like. The dedicated NVR going away and integrating with the Cloud Key I think is the first step. The Dream Machine rack mount product I think is the next evolution(im waiting to purchase stuff until closer to home closing so I can hopefully get a dream machine vs. 2 or 3 separate pieces as they are today). As far as the physical camera's go, I think only 2 of their current cameras get a bad rap: the micro and the dome. The micro is a wifi camera I believe and the dome isnt sealed so the "dome" gets dusty, condensation, etc... Im planning on using 3 of the Flex's, 2 G3 Pro's(for the wide angle) and 1 or 2 of the regular G3's.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    So I have no idea what the last few pages have been about, but I'm tired of the shit coverage in my house. For some reason, my phone keeps picking up the basement network even though I think its weaker when I'm on the main floor so that's just adding to the issues I was trying to fix. What Ubiquiti stuff do I need from Amazon to replace my current modem/router combo and add one extender/handshake/whatever in the basement and second story?

Is this the starting point?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dont know the "basics" of what you need because I am going more high end.

Your current modem would remain.

What I would get as a basic setup would be:
    cloudkey (I think the basic gen1 are like 99 bucks, gen 2 are like 169 on amazon). This allows you to control your unifi setup. I think a cloud key is mandatory, but maybe there is a work around. Im going to run the Cloud Key Gen 2+ with built in NVR(unless the Dream Machine comes out before that).
    security gateway. $139. This acts as a router and firewall. Some people will say optional if you dont need the router(you likely dont) or firewall(thats a question only you can answer).
    switch with POE: you could get by with the Unifi Switch 8 150w. You dont HAVE to use ubiquiti switches, there is nothing magic about them I dont think. Probably can find something with POE for cheaper or use a non poe switch and use the POE injectors that the AP's will include(I believe all single pack AP's include a poe injector as standard).

Then you need your AP's. The Pro's are the sweet spot IMO and is what I will be running. The AC Lite "looks" good on the price front, but if you have any devices that can run 3x3 mimo(I do) then the lite doesnt have that.

I dont believe you can just hook the AP's up to a router/switch with no way to control them, which is where the cloud key comes in, but again, maybe there is a way. I am not terribly savvy with this as my setup will be my first foray into Ubiquiti.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    So I have no idea what the last few pages have been about, but I'm tired of the shit coverage in my house. For some reason, my phone keeps picking up the basement network even though I think its weaker when I'm on the main floor so that's just adding to the issues I was trying to fix. What Ubiquiti stuff do I need from Amazon to replace my current modem/router combo and add one extender/handshake/whatever in the basement and second story?

Yes, that would be your starting point. The CloudKey allows you to have the Unifi controller running at all times and allows you to access it via web interface. If you have just one AP, you don't need the Unifi controller running at all times, just when you do programming adjustments and initial setup. You can load the Unifii controller on a workstation or laptop, do your programming, then turn it off. Every so often it is a good idea to update your Controller to the latest version and also update your AP to the newest firmware using the same Controller software.

Ubiquiti also just released their Beacon HD https://store.ui.com/products/uap-beaconhd which extends the range of your Ubiquiti AP by just plugging it in to an AC outlet and mesh hopping. This way youstill don't need a 2nd AP and a local running Unifi controller unless that is what you want.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Here’s a quote from my earlier post once I got it all done. It’s been rock solid so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Finally got around to ordering the Unifi gear. Went with the USG, Cloudkey, 8 port switch and an LR AP. I set everything up on a bench first to run through the Youtube video I found. It was very easy to follow and there were basically no gotcha's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Stupid question but what does the switch do? Does it just allow me to plug in several different cat 5 cables for a direct connection instead of doing wifi?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Stupid question but what does the switch do? Does it just allow me to plug in several different cat 5 cables for a direct connection instead of doing wifi?
    Hey Wake.

No dumb questions. You are exactly right. Let's you connect a bunch of network devices together. They come as small as 4 ports or so up to typically 48. They vary in speeds 10/100/1000. You can also get ones that have POE (power over ethernet). POE is good for powering VOIP phones or cameras, stuff like that.

Edit to add more:
    I work at a phone company, most of the phones we install will end up on a POE switch that either we sell/rent them or one of theirs if they are providing them. We normally but not always separate the voice and data traffic with VLANs. We then route the data traffic out their firewall and the voice traffic to a router we will have onsite.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vandal5; 11-13-19 at 18:58.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm wondering if all of this stuff is way more complicated than I need. I'd only use two ports - one for the PS4 and one for the Verizon network extender and just something strong enough to cover the whole house.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm wondering if all of this stuff is way more complicated than I need. I'd only use two ports - one for the PS4 and one for the Verizon network extender and just something strong enough to cover the whole house.
    What kind of modem do you have?

My comcast one comes with 4 ports, if you have a similar setup that may be all you need.

I have a 24 port in my basement and a 12 port in our play room that has a ps3, ps2 and a raspberry pi in it.

I hope to install cameras at some point and will use the 24 port to power them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast