Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless routers and other tech things

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Wireless routers and other tech things

I was really good with computers and tech stuff ten years ago, not so much now. I'm wondering how often you guys upgrade your wireless routers to a new model? I know TVs and everything else continue to grow pretty fast, I assume routers do too. I've had the same one for four years and the last week or so my internet has really been lagging so I figured it might be time to replace it. I don't know anything about how fast my internet is supposed to be though, I just know we get it along with the cable and I pay more for some "upgraded" speed.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I was really good with computers and tech stuff ten years ago, not so much now. I'm wondering how often you guys upgrade your wireless routers to a new model? I know TVs and everything else continue to grow pretty fast, I assume routers do too. I've had the same one for four years and the last week or so my internet has really been lagging so I figured it might be time to replace it. I don't know anything about how fast my internet is supposed to be though, I just know we get it along with the cable and I pay more for some "upgraded" speed.
    One of my IT VPs updated his router every year.

Based on the recent US CERT and FBI warnings, you would want to be doing so frequently to say the least... changing up credentials, network equipment, etc. is a NSA recommendation to frustrate bad guy persistence. It will not stop dedication, but will likely disrupt some lower tier concerns.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I wasn't even talking security wise. I did some more searching since the OP and the internet test through my provider said I have a 125.5 download speed and 23.3 upload. I think I've been paying for a 300/50 service the whole time we've been here...
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't buy the consumer stuff anymore. For the price, a Ubiquiti Router X and one of their Unifi AC access points comes in cheaper and better performance and range than your combo wireless routers that are usually stuck in a corner somewhere.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't go Netgear, specifically R8500. I gave it a try and the 2.4Ghz failed within 3 weeks. Returned and went with a Linksys AC5400 no issues over a year, I'll hold my breath. It does not support a VPN.

http://tinyurl.com/ybyz8a3g
    Last edited by jmp45; 05-28-18 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I used to upgrade them quite often. However we have hit a bit of a plateau in the technology so it isn't happening as often anymore.

Currently I just upgraded both my house and my parents to the google mesh network and it works amazingly.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    I used to upgrade them quite often. However we have hit a bit of a plateau in the technology so it isn't happening as often anymore.

Currently I just upgraded both my house and my parents to the google mesh network and it works amazingly.
    I talked to the cable company and they said that my router, while older, is still really good. It’s receiving about 300mbps with very little interference, but I’m only able to see about 120 with my phone about six feet away so I’m not sure if it is doing that well.

Either way, it got me researching MOCA because it supports that feature and I’m pretty interested by it. Seems like a similar concept as mesh but cheaper and potentially faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I don't buy the consumer stuff anymore. For the price, a Ubiquiti Router X and one of their Unifi AC access points comes in cheaper and better performance and range than your combo wireless routers that are usually stuck in a corner somewhere.
    Very curious about this set up. Any decent guides out there?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Very curious about this set up. Any decent guides out there?
    The Ubiquiti website has a wiki forum that you can search and you will probably find what you need just searching. If not, the moderators on the forum are glad to help you out with any questions you might have.

I have just the Router X and one Unifi AC access point. I ran the Cat5e in the attic to a central location near my kitchen and mounted horizontally. I get good signal 100' away in the corner of the farthest point in my backyard. You will need to program the AP with a PC using their Unifi controller software, but it isn't hard if you know the basics.

IMG_0778.jpg

The Router X has never needed to be rebooted once. It can do a lot more than the consumer routers can as far as advanced features, but I really don't use them. If you have a big house or non friendly wireless construction, you can have more than one AP and use the Unifi controller software to control them and manage the handoffs.

Unifi AP's : https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifi

Routers: https://www.ubnt.com/products/#edgemax

Unifi help: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/categ...UniFi-Wireless

Forum: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/custom...page-id/Forums
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 05-28-18 at 19:22. Reason: Added more info

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    +1 on the Ubiquiti stuff. Have been using it professionally and in my house for years. Really no comparison to consumer stuff. Just keep in mind that they do not offer support. Other than the forums, you’re pretty much on your own.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast