Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Wireless routers and other tech things

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    So Ubiquiti released some new hotness to the Amplifi line within the last few days. I'm super tempted to just buy that thing and call it good. With all the positive stuff on that company and the Amplifi line, my guess is that one will cover my needs fine. If not, I can add a second one down the road. Would still need a modem though. I'm leaning towards the Netgear 32x8 DOCSIS 3.1 unless anyone has a better recommendation.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im guessing you are talking about the Alien.

I believe its built on the bones of the Ultimate Dream Machine on the Unifi line, except its geared more towards mesh networks. Not sure how its firewall capabilities are.

I havent really read anything on the Alien as mesh isnt where I am wanting to go personally, although I think the technology is getting better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Im guessing you are talking about the Alien.

I believe its built on the bones of the Ultimate Dream Machine on the Unifi line, except its geared more towards mesh networks. Not sure how its firewall capabilities are.

I havent really read anything on the Alien as mesh isnt where I am wanting to go personally, although I think the technology is getting better.
    It's also geared more for the consumer. It isn't controlled by the Unifi management software. It has less options, but has new Wifi 6.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Finally sucked it up and ordered some new stuff. Amplifi Alien and Motorola 8600. Unscientific connection test went from download speed of 13 to 165. One of these days when I've had less bourbon I'll look through the settings and probably ask you guys what makes sense, but its already blazing fast in comparison.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Finally sucked it up and ordered some new stuff. Amplifi Alien and Motorola 8600. Unscientific connection test went from download speed of 13 to 165. One of these days when I've had less bourbon I'll look through the settings and probably ask you guys what makes sense, but its already blazing fast in comparison.
    I really like the Amplifi Alien but beware that it does NOT include the Unifi integration mentioned earlier. The idea if an AIO solution is good for most consumers but, upon reading this omission, I decided that separate hardware components all managed under the same interface (Unifi) was still the best solution.

Example: when the WiFi 6 access points come out I can simply swap one out and my wireless network is now WiFi 6 in a matter of minutes. Not the best example since the Aplifi Alien comes with WiFi 6 already (great news BTW) but if/when WiFi 7 comes out you'll be stuck replacing your entire network basically. Of course, based on how long it took us to get WiFi 6 it could be 2035 before we see WiFi 7 so that's another reason this isn't the best example. But there may be some other large step forward that you'd like to take advantage of before we adopt an all new WiFi standard like the incremental steps we took between WiFi 4 and WiFi 6 (since we basically bypassed WiFi 5 more or less).

Also, if you're saying "13 to 165" as in Mbps your hardware is capable of way, way, WAY more speed. Your ISP package is the bottleneck. Time to get some faster internets!
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im pretty sure I am going far the other way...

UDM Pro with 14tb WD Ultrastar HD
    Gen 2 Pro 24 POE switch
    5-6 AP's(leaning towards pro's, but might run Nano's or Flex's)
    6-8 cameras(2 G4 Pro's, 3 G3 Flex's, 2 G3 bullets)
    Synology RS820+(not sure what drives I will go with, but probably start with 2 14tb Ultrastars and expand from there)

All mounted in a Tripp Lite 9u server depth rack.

Some type of battery backup, leaning towards rack mount APC UPS 1500v, although I think I can get by with a 1000v.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112