Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless routers and other tech things

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The LR is a good one.

It has a lot of power on the 2.4 band and more importantly some nice high gain antennas.

It also has 5ghz band but that doesn't have near the reach, especially through walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    just watched a set up video on youtube and it seems pretty simple but I'm wondering what are the differences on the Unifi AP's? I'm looking at this one specifically Ubiquiti Unifi Ap AC Long-Range

Cheers.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    The long range just puts more power to the signal. It all depends on your needs. They have the pro, lite, long range, outdoor models , etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The LR is a good one.

It has a lot of power on the 2.4 band and more importantly some nice high gain antennas.

It also has 5ghz band but that doesn't have near the reach, especially through walls.
    Thanks Gents. Looks like the LR might be the one for me. The range I need is 150-200ft beaming down from a height of about 15ft from inside the main house to a secondary building. Repeating the signal with second AP is also an option but I read somewhere the LR signal is good to about 600ft. I'm assuming this is on 2.4.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A power line adapter is a good choice for a point to point link to an out building.

Something like the TP LINK TL-PA9020 KIT or TL-PA7020 KIT should do it.

Best results when both units are on the same AC circuit.

The range I need is 150-200ft beaming down from a height of about 15ft from inside the main house to a secondary building. Repeating the signal with second AP is also an option but I read somewhere the LR signal is good to about 600ft. I'm assuming this is on 2.4.
    Last edited by Clint; 08-13-18 at 08:49.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the LR and I get coverage all the way to the corner of my fence in my backyard which measures 150' and change. Distance you get is going to vary with the noise threshold in your area. I know at one time I was being a polite neighbor and picking a narrower channel range which sacrifices a little speed so I didn't step on other neighbor's signals. AT&T came in with fiber and a bunch of neighbor's switched over to them and when they setup their wireless, they broadcasted over the whole spectrum. Everyone is stepping on everyone. So I said f*ck it, and did the same at full power.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So my construction is finally done and it's time to buy. Has there been any new models or anything else worth considering? Or should I stick with my original plan to get the Ubiquiti Unifi Ap AC Long-Range?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I still don’t see why anything is better than MoCA..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I still don’t see why anything is better than MoCA..
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Serious. Though I honestly don't know (or care) much about this stuff. If you have a MOCA enabled router, it seems like a potentially very cheap and effective way to decrease deadzones.

ETA - I shouldn't say that I don't care, especially since this is my thread. I just don't want to dedicate significant time to learning a lot more info about this stuff. I just want something that's easy and works well. My router at the time was MoCA enabled so I got a $20 thing on Amazon and it made my deadzone go away by just plugging it in to a COAX port. Big win.
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-08-19 at 18:13.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last edited by Jer; 04-08-19 at 17:56.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So my construction is finally done and it's time to buy. Has there been any new models or anything else worth considering? Or should I stick with my original plan to get the Ubiquiti Unifi Ap AC Long-Range?

Thanks.
    The newer model UAP-AC-PRO is the way to go in that model lineup. The model UAP-HD is better and faster but is at a higher price point.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast