Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless routers and other tech things

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    The newer model UAP-AC-PRO is the way to go in that model lineup. The model UAP-HD is better and faster but is at a higher price point.
    Thanks! I figured there was likely a newer version given the rate tech moves. I see the Amazon product page has it listed with the Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway as a bundle. Would this be preferable to the Router X. I’m assuming they do a similar job.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Thanks! I figured there was likely a newer version given the rate tech moves. I see the Amazon product page has it listed with the Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway as a bundle. Would this be preferable to the Router X. I’m assuming they do a similar job.
    It is preference really. The Unifi Gateway is configured through Ubiquiti's controller software which also configures their UAP's. The Unifi controller software can be installed on a device, but needs to be running and connected to the devices to manage them. Once configured, the controller software does not have to be running. Another way to run the controller software is their Cloudkey, which has it the Unifi Controller software embedded on the Cloudkey device so you don't need to install the software on anything and can manage all Unifi devices from anywhere.

The Router X has it's own GUI webpage that you log into to manage. I guess it does have a little more functionality then the Gateway, but nothing most homeowners will ever use, so it doesn't matter.

I have the Router X, not because it is better, it is just because that is what I bought first. I wouldn't mind getting the Cloudkey because keeping all the devices and the controller software updated would be easier. The Router X would have to be updated separately in it's own GUI. The Unifi Controller software can update all Unifi devices connected from one central GUI.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 04-09-19 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IMHO spend a little bit more to get all UniFi so that you can control all devices from a single dashboard. May not seem like much now but years later when you've got a dozen you will be glad you spend that extra forty of fifty bucks up front. Also gives you some cool logs and controls you wouldn't normally have that you may find useful once you have them.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Great stuff guys, thanks for the advice. I’ll do a little more reading but I can see the value of the one dashboard to make like easy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    IMHO spend a little bit more to get all UniFi so that you can control all devices from a single dashboard. May not seem like much now but years later when you've got a dozen you will be glad you spend that extra forty of fifty bucks up front. Also gives you some cool logs and controls you wouldn't normally have that you may find useful once you have them.
    Agreed. I have converted everything in my house to UniFi including security cameras. If they would come out with a door bell I would replace my Skybell.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Agreed. I have converted everything in my house to UniFi including security cameras. If they would come out with a door bell I would replace my Skybell.
    I really wish they would allow any ONVIF certified cameras though. Although they have upped their game with their newer PRO lineup, their camera models are limited. Opening it up to all ONVIF compliant cameras would be awesome. Even if they have to charge a small license fee per 3rd party camera to allow them to make up for lost hardware income, so be it, but restricting it to just their camera lineup only is imho stupid, and lowering the amount of their video product users.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I recently (a few years ago?) upgraded about a dozen Foscam cameras to Hikvision & now I'm wishing I could've procrastinated just a little bit longer as I probably would've opted for UniFi cams instead.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Finally got around to ordering the Unifi gear. Went with the USG, Cloudkey, 8 port switch and an LR AP. I set everything up on a bench first to run through the Youtube video I found. It was very easy to follow and there were basically no gotcha's I encountered that weren't of my own making. So far everything is stable and coverage is decent enough that I can use a laptop in a second structure on my lot. I think adding another AP will make phones usable there also. Very happy I came across this thread when it was originally posted and thanks to all for the input and help provided.

If anyone is on the fence about grabbing this stuff, I would highly recommend it for something a little more robust and scale-able than a home router. The dashboard is very intuitive and helpful. Almost worth the entry price alone.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Finally got around to ordering the Unifi gear. Went with the USG, Cloudkey, 8 port switch and an LR AP. I set everything up on a bench first to run through the Youtube video I found. It was very easy to follow and there were basically no gotcha's I encountered that weren't of my own making. So far everything is stable and coverage is decent enough that I can use a laptop in a second structure on my lot. I think adding another AP will make phones usable there also. Very happy I came across this thread when it was originally posted and thanks to all for the input and help provided.

If anyone is on the fence about grabbing this stuff, I would highly recommend it for something a little more robust and scale-able than a home router. The dashboard is very intuitive and helpful. Almost worth the entry price alone.

For home use Ubiquiti also has the Amplify mesh system. Mesh networks have come a long way with dedicated backhaul bands for talking between nodes and not taking up bandwidth used for client devices.
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 09-01-19 at 23:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad it all went well for you Vegas.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast