Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless routers and other tech things

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Glad it all went well for you Vegas.
    Thanks.

If I figure out the wiring, I may add a few of their cameras to cover my property. Any experience of those?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Wireless routers and other tech things

Ok, so I need help. We’re in our third house since I made this thread and struggling. Cell phone coverage sucks, so Verizon sent us some type of extender that piggy backs off of WiFi. I assume the dead zone affects internet too because we had the same modem and xfinity internet in VA and had zero issues. But now in CO, my PlayStation is laggy and it’s in the same room as the router. If you guys were getting a new system, what would it be? I assume Ubiquiti based off of the recommendations, but they have a lot to choose from. House is about 2,300 square feet, spread across three floors. Would love total coverage because we’ve only been here a few weeks and it’s a huge pain in the ass. The most intensive use would be streaming on two TVs at once. Total number of devices is 9 I think, but most of them wouldn’t be in use at the same time. The Verizon extender and our ADT system are two exceptions to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    As far as wifi router goes, I have a fairly old unit, Netgear R6100, have had it for 7 or 8 years. I tried to cut and paste the specs from their website:

WiFi Performance - AC1200 WiFi (300 Mbps + 867 Mbps)†
    WiFi Range - Medium to large homes
    WiFi Band - Simultaneous dual band 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz
    Number of Ethernet Ports - Five (5) 10/100 (1 WAN and 4 LAN) Fast Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
    Key Features - Faster WiFi—Now up to 1200 Mbps
    Backward compatible with 802.11n

... blah blah blah

I've recently hooked up a workstation so I can work from home. When I download huge files, I plug in the cat5E cable and that sucker download huge autocad files like nothing. I was going to upgrade the router, but with this revelation, I'll save my money and buy ammo instead.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Thanks.

If I figure out the wiring, I may add a few of their cameras to cover my property. Any experience of those?
    Not with their cameras. I just put in an Axis Companion recorder and some Axis M2025-LE cameras at my house. Looks good. The software is very easy. It sets up everything for you, updates the recorder and camera firmware on setup and Axis is pretty much the leader in IP cameras. Sure it is a little more costly than most other camera systems, but so is my DDM4V5 compared to a PSA.

Most of the cheap alternatives are Dahua or Hikvision Chinese cameras that are OEM'd to that company. The Hikvision cameras are very good for the money, bu there has been some security issues with their products (i.e. like an intentional backdoor hack that can default the recorders to the factory admin password). The ban on those 2 brands from government use just went into effect not too long ago. It is surprising how many government, federal and state, that were using them due to cost. Even Honeywell cameras are OEM version of Hikvision.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 09-24-19 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Ok, so I need help. We’re in our third house since I made this thread and struggling. Cell phone coverage sucks, so Verizon sent us some type of extender that piggy backs off of WiFi. I assume the dead zone affects internet too because we had the same modem and xfinity internet in VA and had zero issues. But now in CO, my PlayStation is laggy and it’s in the same room as the router. If you guys were getting a new system, what would it be? I assume Ubiquiti based off of the recommendations, but they have a lot to choose from. House is about 2,300 square feet, spread across three floors. Would love total coverage because we’ve only been here a few weeks and it’s a huge pain in the ass. The most intensive use would be streaming on two TVs at once. Total number of devices is 9 I think, but most of them wouldn’t be in use at the same time. The Verizon extender and our ADT system are two exceptions to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you are in the same room as the PS and it is still laggy I would try to plug it in directly to the router with a patch cable and see if it is still laggy. This would at least cross off your ISP as a problem.

Since you have 3 floors, you can have multiple WAP's with Ubiquiti and they will just handoff the device to the next WAP once the signal gets weak as you move to different areas.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 09-23-19 at 09:11.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not with their cameras. I just put in an Axis Companion recorder and some Axis M2035-LE cameras at my house. Looks good. The software is very easy. It sets up everything for you, updates the recorder and camera firmware on setup and Axis is pretty much the leader in IP cameras. Sure it is a little more costly than most other camera systems, but so is my DDM4V5 compared to a PSA.

Most of the cheap alternatives are Dahua or Hikvision Chinese cameras that are OEM'd to that company. The Hikvision cameras are very good for the money, bu there has been some security issues with their products (i.e. like an intentional backdoor hack that can default the recorders to the factory admin password). The ban on those 2 brands from government use just went into effect not too long ago. It is surprising how many government, federal and state, that were using them due to cost. Even Honeywell cameras are OEM version of Hikvision.
    Great info, thanks. I switched from a ZTE cell phone due to concerns around that kind of backdoor stuff. I'll check out the Axis cameras to compare.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are in the same room as the PS and it is still laggy I would try to plug it in directly to the router with a patch cable and see if it is still laggy. This would at least cross off your ISP as a problem.
    I agree with this. I try to connect everything I can. Unless there's a
    reason for it to use wifi I put it directly on the network.
    I'm trying to uplate my house with rj45 drops around the house. Have my modem connect to a 24-port POE switch that's down in my basement. Most things will connect back to that and I have another 12-port switch in our game room which few consoles connect to.

Other than updating wiring I need to work on updating my modem as my Comcast provided one won't let me turn off SIP ALG, my VOIP phone that I use for work doesn't like it...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes,

2 Long Range APs should be able to cover that.

Good antenna placement is key.

Since you have 3 floors, you can have multiple WAP's with Ubiquiti and they will just handoff the device to the next WAP once the signal gets weak as you move to different areas.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score

Ubiquiti is what I use at home and it has been great. One AP upstairs and one downstairs.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive been specing a full Ubiquiti system for our new home build:
    cloudkey gen 2+(will upgrade the drive to 5 terabyte)
    security Gateway
    16-150 poe switch
    3x NanoHD AP's in the house(1 upstairs, 2 on main floor on separate sides of the house)
    6 cameras(4x G3's and 2x G3 pro's)
    -Front door(G3), Front wide angle from 2nd story(G3 Pro), rear patio door(G3), Back yard wide angle from 2nd story(G3 Pro), Driveway(G3), garage interior(G3).
    -I dont think I want any camera's physically IN the house and with my plan for exterior coverage I should cover everything, but open to suggestions.

Then running fiber out to a detached shop via the SFP ports and out in the shop will have:
    8-150 POE switch
    1x NanoHD AP
    4x cameras(likely all regular G3's with maybe 1 G3 Pro)
    -interior of shop, interior of lean to shop, front of shop looking down driveway(this may overlap with the camera on the house, so probably only need one or the other), back side corner of shop looking at back yard wide angle(G3 Pro)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast