Thread: Remington 12ga problems

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Remington 12ga problems

Years ago I picked up a Remington 887 tactical. Not the most desirable shotgun but it was a cheap impulse buy.

Anyway

I shot maybe 200 rounds through it, then sat in my safe for years. Never had an issue with it while using it. I took it out recently to mess with it. Dry-fired it, etc.

The action was a bit rough. Not smooth at all. I took it apart, cleaned it up, and lubricated it. Everything is much smoother now, however I noticed that when I dry fire the shotgun, I can’t pump the For-end without shoving it forward first. This occurs even if I slam the for-end forward before dry firing it. To explain it better - I’ll cock the shotgun, pull the trigger, then try to pump the for-end but cannot. I then have to shove the Foreend forward before attempting to load a new shell.

Where do you suggest I start first in diagnosing this issue?

Cheers,
    Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Years ago I picked up a Remington 887 tactical. Not the most desirable shotgun but it was a cheap impulse buy.

Anyway

I shot maybe 200 rounds through it, then sat in my safe for years. Never had an issue with it while using it. I took it out recently to mess with it. Dry-fired it, etc.

The action was a bit rough. Not smooth at all. I took it apart, cleaned it up, and lubricated it. Everything is much smoother now, however I noticed that when I dry fire the shotgun, I can’t pump the For-end without shoving it forward first. This occurs even if I slam the for-end forward before dry firing it. To explain it better - I’ll cock the shotgun, pull the trigger, then try to pump the for-end but cannot. I then have to shove the Foreend forward before attempting to load a new shell.

Where do you suggest I start first in diagnosing this issue?

Cheers,
    Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not to be rude but the 887 is one of the worst shotguns made by a "major" gun company ever. I'd send it back to the factory, have it repaired, then sell it for something with a better track record.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Only 870 worth buying is police model. Cops can't afford to carry Dookie. All the rest, Express, etc is Dookie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is yours subject to the recalls? (years ago mean different things to different people) https://887recall.remington.com/

Beyond that I've got nothing for you, I've seen them but never fired one or took one apart.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee