Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Subgun Viable for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    thanks for pointing out why a rail mounted light/laser is a nice addition
    I saw what you wrote, and the difference is not what you assume it is, and people trained up to use them in each hand, do fine. Some in the biz do not favor light mounted flashlights for various reasons. I go back and forth on that one.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    with that in mind, once he survives the confrontation, in most jurisdictions he will likely be charged with a crime. having personally spent countless hours/years in courtrooms (retired criminal investigator), i think its preferred that the prosecution not make a huge deal out of the firearm that the defendant chose. like it or not, many folks (read: juries) don’t accept the base concept of self defense and believe that ownership of evil-looking firearms are a sign of a bad person.

while i own/practice constantly with my shouldered and braced firearms, i personally don’t believe using them are in my best interest for home defense and its aftermath.

so, could a suppressed 9mm subgun be used successfully "in the role of home defense/room clearing”? of course, but there are other things one might wish to consider before doing so.

Let me guess... You are on the left or right coast.

My experience is pretty much the opposite in states with castle doctrine and stand your ground laws. Even 39 states have varying degrees of qualified immunity for self defense.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I saw what you wrote, and the difference is not what you assume it is, and people trained up to use them in each hand, do fine. Some in the biz do not favor light mounted flashlights for various reasons. I go back and forth on that one.
    Point taken on the type of light we chose, that only a handheld should be used for navigation and ID, reserving the rail light for actual self defense situations.

Guys, what's the problem here? We're lucky, we can all use what we like, the way we like. I was just mentioning issues the OP might take into consideration before making his choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
    Let me guess... You are on the left or right coast.

My experience is pretty much the opposite in states with castle doctrine and stand your ground laws. Even 39 states have varying degrees of qualified immunity for self defense.
    Nope, I'm 100% heartland (no need for personal slams).

But in some bigger cities (even in Texas), its possible for a reasonable person to be convicted of homicide, not withstanding the castle doctrine. So why not take advantage of appearing as responsible and as "PC" as you can, particularly when you have to defend the dead body in your living room?

Feedback Score
    I use both WM and handheld lights as appropriate. Lights make wonderful bullet magnets.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I was shooting a Ruger PCC yesterday and put 10 shots in a 3" group @ 15 yards in 2.5 seconds.
    So you can shoot a handgun that puts 10 shots into less than 3 inches at fifteen yards in less than 2.5 seconds?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Nope, I'm 100% heartland (no need for personal slams).

But in some bigger cities (even in Texas), its possible for a reasonable person to be convicted of homicide, not withstanding the castle doctrine. So why not take advantage of appearing as responsible and as "PC" as you can, particularly when you have to defend the dead body in your living room?
    Personal slam? That I implied that you lived is a liberal area? I live in one of the most conservative states in the nation, by choice.

I will use what works best for me. I could care less about PC, but I don't have controversial artwork on my guns. I don't have to defend anything about shooting someone in my house. In the state I live in currently (North Dakota), it is prima facia evidence that someone means you harm if they use any force to enter your house. That is why I say that people know their state laws.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    So you can shoot a handgun that puts 10 shots into less than 3 inches at fifteen yards in less than 2.5 seconds?
    Do you know what a PCC is?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Excuse me, I missed the "than" no reason to be snarky, especially when I was trying to be nice.

Feedback Score
    If you are really worried about being persecuted because you have a prosecutor that has a history of engaging in such actions, rather than the facts of the case I have a solution.

If I lived in such a place, I would get a Ruger 10-22.

If you are behind cover and you have forced the bad guy to come to you. Then he is in your fatal funnel, heads shots with a 1022 will work.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Feraldog,
    I would suggest trying a short PCC (or pistol with brace) with a 17rnd mag vs a pistol for one handed operations, such as opening doors. I don’t think that a regular handgun has much advantage there. I’ve got a 9mm with an 8in barrel that pretty much feels like a toy while doing those things.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you are really worried about being persecuted because you have a prosecutor that has a history of engaging in such actions, rather than the facts of the case I have a solution....
    While some areas are worse than others for this problem, even in the right places DAs change mid-stream, police/investigators may see incidents differently than you did, recent national incidents might influence jury beliefs, the dead guy on your floor may be the son of a powerful local person who wants you to pay, a missed round could hit a neighbor kid, etc

Just because a person believes they will be justified in a home defense situation, it doesn't always end happily. Innocent folks end up in prison too, so why give them something that effects them emotionally to use against you?

Sure, everyone has the right to dress like a hood, have swastika tattoos on their forehead, et al. But when time comes to face a jury, its always a good idea to talk nice, dress up in suits and cover questionable tats if possible. Don't give them reason to doubt you by having the jury affected by the firearm you picked.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Feraldog,
    I would suggest trying a short PCC (or pistol with brace) with a 17rnd mag vs a pistol for one handed operations, such as opening doors. I don’t think that a regular handgun has much advantage there. I’ve got a 9mm with an 8in barrel that pretty much feels like a toy while doing those things.
    Thanks for offering that. Yep, I do have PCCs like that (ie: 4" AR9, braced and canned), have spent time doing those kind of operations, and found both very do-able. The choice is ours to make.

Again, I was just offering the OP things to think about that hadn't been mentioned.

Last edited by feraldog; 09-10-18 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    I am not the one that is worried about which weapon I use to defend myself.

I have a rifle beside my bed with 2 30 round mags in it. I have places in 2 states, one that doesn't care cause it is still normal and the other state is very anti gun. I still keep a black rifle besides my bed in the anti state.

I am also maybe the only person here that has shot people with a .22.

Shot placement matters in all firearms, with a .22 it matters more, but rest assured you put the rounds where they need to go it works.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast