Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Subgun Viable for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    Instead of comparing a 9mm Subgun to an SBR cambered in 556 in the role of home defense/room clearing, I'd like to know what you guys think in terms of using a suppressed Subgun in that role. More specifically, why or why it isn't viable for that role. I see a lot of people saying that a 9mm Subgun is nothing but a range toy and with the rising popularity, it's hard to imagine that since it reigned supreme for so long. Again, I'm specifically asking about a 9mm Subgun, not comparing it to a 556.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    How are you defining viable? If a 9mm handgun is viable for HD, how could a 9mm subgun not be? The Q is, it is the best choice for the job given other options today? It's generally best to ignore what "a lot of people" say on such topics.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    In my case I'm running unsuppressed so the 9mm is a LOT more "palatable" in regards to firing inside the house. With substantial hearing loss already it's definitely a consideration, at least for me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    You realize the 9mm more likely to over penetrate than the 5.56 yes? Seems counter intuitive, but one should not choose 9mm for that reason.

https://www.tactical-life.com/exclusives/9mm-vs-223/
    I did not know, but after your rhetoric, I could see the tumbling/fragmenting concept occurring when hitting a hard(er) surface such as drywall or beams with 5.56.

I was still under the impression that frangible 9MM would reduce a lot of that.

Either way, I did not apply the fragmentation concept to those ballistics analyzing and am now eating my foot.

Always humbling when encountered, thanks for clarifying where that logic is flawed.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-29-18 at 11:57.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I did not know, but after your rhetoric, I could see the tumbling/fragmenting concept occurring when hitting a hard(er) surface such as drywall or beams with 5.56.

I was still under the impression that frangible 9MM would reduce a lot of that.

Either way, I did not apply the fragmentation concept to those ballistics analyzing and am now eating my foot.

Always humbling when encountered, thanks for clarifying where that logic is flawed.
    It's a very common misconception that's still open to debate, and of course bullet types and choices play a part in all that, but it appears the 5.56 is so light and moving so fast, it tends to fly apart on contact with hard surfaces commonly found in a house. As far as frangibles, that's a whole other topic but it's my understanding frangible 9MM are recommended by no one who studies terminal ballistics as a science as they tend to perform very poorly regardless of the claims made of "magic metalo metal hybrid bullets" and the like being marketed. For clarity of this discussion, we are talking about well known and accepted brands/designs in 9mm and or 5.56.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    In my experience, the majority of people I know, including shooters are unaware that pistol rounds are more likely to pentrate than a 5.56. They don’t understand how that is possible and ask “why”. I use the Ferrari through a brick wall vs a truck or semi through a brick wall—which loses energy faster and will travel the shortest distance after going through the wall.
    You realize the 9mm more likely to over penetrate than the 5.56 yes? Seems counter intuitive, but one should not choose 9mm for that reason.

https://www.tactical-life.com/exclusives/9mm-vs-223/
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    In my experience, the majority of people I know, including shooters are unaware that pistol rounds are more likely to pentrate than a 5.56. They don’t understand how that is possible and ask “why”. I use the Ferrari through a brick wall vs a truck or semi through a brick wall—which loses energy faster and will travel the shortest distance after going through the wall.
    Per above, it's counter intuitive unless you start getting a tad more granular on it, such as your example, but I also find some simply refuse to change their mind over it even when most evidence points to it.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My example usually changes minds of those I am around since most of the people Ihave these discussions with have heavy engineering and physics backgrounds, so they pick up the physics of it. Just not something that on the surface is intuitive. Specialty rounds are obviously the exception.

Per above, it's counter intuitive unless you start getting a tad more granular on it, such as your example, but I also find some simply refuse to change their mind over it even when most evidence points to it.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's a very common misconception that's still open to debate, and of course bullet types and choices play a part in all that, but it appears the 5.56 is so light and moving so fast, it tends to fly apart on contact with hard surfaces commonly found in a house. As far as frangibles, that's a whole other topic but it's my understanding frangible 9MM are recommended by no one who studies terminal ballistics as a science as they tend to perform very poorly regardless of the claims made of "magic metalo metal hybrid bullets" and the like being marketed. For clarity of this discussion, we are talking about well known and accepted brands/designs in 9mm and or 5.56.
    Thanks for the breakdown;

I had forgotten about that piece of physics when it comes to terminal ballistics.

It's a weird world of science, just glad we are able to discuss it openly and give some corrections. I can assure you, the concept isn't lost on me, I was just applying bad logic to the analytical piece of my mind on this topic.

Nonetheless, I also wasn't aware that frangible ammo was regard with some ilk. I suppose that's why I have only ever seen them, primarily, used in shoot houses.

Feedback Score
    I have used both for real, they both work. However your chance of success in the shortest period of time will always be on the side of the 5.56. Have both calibers had the proverbial 1 shot stop of course. But a rifle round is just so much more powerful and destructive on humans'.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown;

I had forgotten about that piece of physics when it comes to terminal ballistics.

It's a weird world of science, just glad we are able to discuss it openly and give some corrections. I can assure you, the concept isn't lost on me, I was just applying bad logic to the analytical piece of my mind on this topic.

Nonetheless, I also wasn't aware that frangible ammo was regard with some ilk. I suppose that's why I have only ever seen them, primarily, used in shoot houses.
    Have fun browsing here:

https://www.theboxotruth.com

Of particular interest:
    https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...sulated-walls/
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-29-18 at 13:44.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast