Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Subgun Viable for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Chapter one has already provided a substantial amount of education on the topic.

Thanks, sir. A plethora of information here. I believe I have found articles on here from google, but never fully perused. That sure will change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    How are you defining viable? If a 9mm handgun is viable for HD, how could a 9mm subgun not be? The Q is, it is the best choice for the job given other options today? It's generally best to ignore what "a lot of people" say on such topics.
    You kind of touched on why I asked if it's viable. It seems that a lot of people have the opinion that the 9mm Subgun is nothing more than a range toy, but those same people will carry a 9mm pistol for self defense. We all know that in most instances, a 556 SBR will out perform a 9mm which is why I was trying to take the comparisons out of the equation and focus on if the Subgun alone is adequate for home defense. Tac teams used subguns for decades with success and it seems that popular opinion is that they have become inadequate all of a sudden which is a mindset I just don't understand. I was just trying to get everyone else's opinion on if you'd feel confident using it in a home defense scenario without stirring up the "rifle caliber beats pistol caliber" argument. I have a 10.5 inch 556 and a 5.5 inch suppressed 9mm AR. For a home defense scenario, I'm grabbing the 9mm.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    You kind of touched on why I asked if it's viable. It seems that a lot of people have the opinion that the 9mm Subgun is nothing more than a range toy, but those same people will carry a 9mm pistol for self defense. We all know that in most instances, a 556 SBR will out perform a 9mm which is why I was trying to take the comparisons out of the equation and focus on if the Subgun alone is adequate for home defense. Tac teams used subguns for decades with success and it seems that popular opinion is that they have become inadequate all of a sudden which is a mindset I just don't understand. I was just trying to get everyone else's opinion on if you'd feel confident using it in a home defense scenario without stirring up the "rifle caliber beats pistol caliber" argument. I have a 10.5 inch 556 and a 5.5 inch suppressed 9mm AR. For a home defense scenario, I'm grabbing the 9mm.

The meat eaters were putting two into the squash of terrorists and non for decades with those range toys, so a moot issue there me thinks. As others have said in this thread, the 5.56 has essentially replaced the subgun due to similar sized package with improved performance etc. That does not defacto make the sub gun not viable for HD, in my non professional opinion.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    For decades the elite units of the IDF and also the most elite unit in Israel Yamam, was dispatching terrorist with 9mm ball ammo. If you go back far enough it was with full sized Uzi, then later with mini and micro's.

We never sweated it, when a rifle was the right tool it was used. Today the right tool for most of this wet work is the Colt Commando. But for covert stuff a closed bolt mini Uzi works great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The meat eaters were putting two into the squash of terrorists and non for decades with those range toys, so a moot issue there me thinks. As others have said in this thread, the 5.56 has essentially replaced the subgun due to similar sized package with improved performance etc. That does not defacto make the sub gun not viable for HD, in my non professional opinion.
    I have not seen the oft-referenced Panama MP-5SD concerns brought up in this thread yet... There is a special value in the lower pressure of the 9mm cartridge, which results in a less powerful, but also much less loud report.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingkong251 View Post
    Instead of comparing a 9mm Subgun to an SBR cambered in 556 in the role of home defense/room clearing, I'd like to know what you guys think in terms of using a suppressed Subgun in that role. More specifically, why or why it isn't viable for that role. I see a lot of people saying that a 9mm Subgun is nothing but a range toy and with the rising popularity, it's hard to imagine that since it reigned supreme for so long. Again, I'm specifically asking about a 9mm Subgun, not comparing it to a 556.

Well common since says.... If a 9mm Glock 19 is an excellent choice for home defense why the hell isn’t a 9mm sub gun? It literally shoots the exact same bullet, except out of an easier to handle platform....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Well common since says.... If a 9mm Glock 19 is an excellent choice for home defense why the hell isn’t a 9mm sub gun? It literally shoots the exact same bullet, except out of an easier to handle platform....

Is a Glock 19 an excellent choice for home defense?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I believe a 9mm round is adequate for that senario, yes. My point was just that, people seem to disregard a PCC for anything other than a range gun. I just wanted to see what the general consensus on this forum was. I never understood why many view as such. Cops shoot and kill suspects all the time with 9mm handguns so why would the PCC not be good enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Is a Glock 19 an excellent choice for home defense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post

I would not classify any handgun as being an excellent choice for defending my life, it is a necessary choice that life in the USA mandates. A 9mmPCC/subgun is a better choice due to it being shoulder fired and easier to shoot faster and accurately. Plus if it has a longer than handgun barrel you can get better ballistics, i.e. 7.5" barrel on mini Uzi.

But having used both of those weapons above for real, if given a choice and the mission isn't covert. Then use a rifle, none better that you can carry with you. Unless you count a radio with an Apache on stand by.

Feedback Score
    Not only is a 9mm subgun or PCC that goes 100 to 300 fps faster (depending on the load) viable compared a 9mm pistol which is also viable, it is preferred by many due to its minimal noise, flash, and concussion while indoors compared to a rifle.

It's funny how some discount it. It goes to show how some know nothing about ballistics. How is it that a 9mm has a proven record on the street yet when through a subgun or PCC, it is just a toy? From a 10 inch barrel, it has the velocity of a .357 Sig.
    Last edited by wtm75; 05-29-18 at 20:54.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast