Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Subgun Viable for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I am married and knowing my wife, the worst thing I could do is arm her with a shotgun. It would be disastrous. When even experienced shooters find an AR easier to use than a shotgun, why would anyone saddle inexperienced beginners with a 12 gauge?
    My wife has mediocre firearms experience. She makes me leave an AR for her if i take all the guns for a big range day... she’ll settle for an ak. Pistol would be third choice and shotgun last, because she can get more rounds on target easier. A saiga 12might change that, but the only shotgun i have is a pump.

Edit- sorry- we are really getting off topic here. Plenty of “shotgun for HD” threads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I’ve seen officers short stroke an 870 for years. A shotgun is a viable tool for home defense. But that doesn’t mean that it’s the best tool for home defense. Same with a sub gun or a PCC. They can be a viable gun for home defense. But when compared to a 5.56mm carbine or 11.5” AR pistol, the increase in terminal performance of the 5.56mm over a pistol caliber carbine makes the 5.56 mm or 300 blackout a superior choice.
    In regards to the 5.56 indoors in your home, it isn't going to make someone any deader compared to multiple center mast hits with a pistol calibered carbine. Dead is dead. You wouldn't think that if you were on the street and dumped 3 or 4 rounds into someone's chest cavity with your pistol.

Of course a 5.56 has better terminal ballistics. So does a .308 or even better a .338 Lapua Magnum compared to a 5.56. But at some point you can't make someone deader.

No matter who he or she is that comes into your home, unless they are wearing armor, any PCC or pistol in and reasonable caliber will take someone down. You aren't going to just take one shot. Especially from a low recoil weapon that stays on target.

A rifle may not always be ideal in confined spaces due to flash and concussion. Try firing a rifle round indoors without hearing protection. It's rattling. Although still loud as hell, a PCC is nowhere near as rattling and because of this it's a go to for many. Entry units that use the 5.56 do so with combination hearing protection and coms.
    Last edited by wtm75; 07-05-18 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While I've had a RR Mini UZI for over 10 years I have my Z-5P semi auto w/Tundra for HD purposes. This pic was with an OTAL which has been replaced with a light/laser combo.

Better this set up held as evidence than the sub gun.

Feedback Score
    I have 4 very viable and reliable HD sub-gun options
    Chiappa PAK9, CZ Scorpion Evo, NFA AR-9 and the new Grand Power Stribog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sndt1319 View Post
    I don’t understand the logic behind saying PCC are not appropriate for Home defense but pistols are. They fire the same ammo but the PCC carries more, is easier to shoot than a pistol and can be used by a greater range of people.
    A PCC (SBR even better) is a great choice for a woman. One of the best. Way better then a shotty in my opinion.
    [/ATTACH]8A73A75B-8AF0-4610-849F-9F305B0F9A4C.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by indianalex01; 07-18-18 at 10:49.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by montesf1030 View Post
    I have 4 very viable and reliable HD sub-gun options
    Chiappa PAK9, CZ Scorpion Evo, NFA AR-9 and the new Grand Power Stribog

Sweet rigs! I dig all of those - I just picked up a Stribog last night. Do you have a favorite?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrine View Post
    Sweet rigs! I dig all of those - I just picked up a Stribog last night. Do you have a favorite?
    Love the Scorpion Evo but my AR 9 is nicely tune in and is a great shooter .... Just got the Grand Power Striborg about 3 weeks ago and taken it a few times to the range and is an amazing Subgun Pistol ... Might become my fav soon .... Needs more rounds to make sure is going to be a 100 percent reliable HD option

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Z-5P PDW Project • 9mm HD setup

Just added an SB Tactical brace to the pistol to make it a better HD unit.
    + Sight Mark LoPro 220 lumen light/green laser

Feedback Score
    I have a couple of PCCs, including an 8” AR-9 with flash can, and it is a sweet shooter.

That being said, if I have a choice, I will always pick the terminal ballistics advantages of a rifle in a gunfight over a pistol caliber. Not saying a PCC isn’t viable, it absolutely is, I would just rather have a rifle, especially when the size of the weapon is similar. YMMV

Personally, my HD gun is an 8” .300BLK SBR, with Specwar suppressor, running Barnes 110 gr VOR-TX ammo. It's very quiet in a small package, and those 110gr Barnes bullets hit hard. I also have a 10.5” 5.56 pistol, but prefer the .300BLK for HD.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mig View Post
    So this is just one man's opinion but I base it off of having the misfortune of being shot at inside a house-

Inside your typical 2x4 and drywall house, anything 9mm and up is more than viable. I was once on the receiving end of a guy shooting through walls with a 9mm Glock, 40 caliber Glock and a shotgun loaded with birdshot. All three went through multiple walls like they weren't even there. I guess I'm glad they weren't .223 rounds because I was wearing a IIIA vest at the time but that's really splitting hairs considering any of those rounds could have hit me in the face.

Nothing wrong with 9mm PCC for home defense in my view. My PCC is a lot quieter than my 11.5" BCM, I really wouldn't want to fire that indoors without hearing protection.
    But do recall, .223 tends to penetrate less than 9mm contrary to what may seem common sense, so perhaps less likely to strike you as it does not pass through walls like they are not there. I was not there and don't know the details, so just general observation to your comments and possible food for thought on the overall topic.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast