Thread: Ruger EC9S: Junk or Jewel?

Feedback Score

Ruger EC9S: Junk or Jewel?

This one has been out long enough now that there should be some experiences with them. One Youtube video purports to show the minor wear on one after 1,000 rounds.

The price point suggests this pistol would be in the "throwdown" category, but maybe not.

Anybody have any relevant experience with one?

I'd love to have an inexpensive truck pistol that is "expendable", but I don't want a jam-o-matic, either.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The EC9s is basically an LC9s with a black-oxide finish and integrally machined sights, so I don't see any reason that it would have any different level of reliability than the LC9s.

Should be a perfectly serviceable truck pistol. I wouldn't expect it to be a jam-o-matic. My first-gen (hammer fired) LC9 has been completely reliable to date and I wouldn't hesitate to count on it for personal defense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bought one about a month ago for $200 OTD. 200+ rounds through it now; half FMJ, the rest some old handholds and 60 Old Federal Hydrashok 124 gr. JHP. Three inadvertent lock backs with the handholds, which were either due to grip placement or perhaps bullet ogive interfering with slide stop. Quit using those handholds and paid more attention to grip--problem went away. The pistol seems to really like the Federals.

Grip shape is nice and with the +1 floor plate it fits my smallish hand very well. It drops nicely into a pocket and you forget it's there.

Sights are "good enough" and the trigger is excellent, much like a good DA revolver that rolls off. About like the .45 Shield which is pretty darned good. Easy gun to shoot quickly and well.

I'm impressed.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    The EC9s is basically an LC9s with a black-oxide finish and integrally machined sights
    The LC9s claims a blued metal finish. Is there any meaningful difference between bluing and black oxide? Aren't those just different names for the same chemical process of oxidizing the surface to magnetite?

The LC9s seems solid (I have one) and I don't see that you're giving up anything of value with the EC9s differences.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't really know if there is any substantial difference between the "blued" LC9s and the "black oxide" EC9s.

There has to be some difference in order to account for the cost delta, but maybe it's all just production cost and the end result is more or less the same. Dunno.

Feedback Score
    my lc9s has over 4000 rds through it and is stone cold reliable they really have a nice trigger.my budy has an ec9 the fixed sights are dead on the park like finish looks good for a 199.00 gun it works.