Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Revolver (e.g. LCR) vs. Semi-Auto (e.g. LC9)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Question: Revolver (e.g. LCR) vs. Semi-Auto (e.g. LC9)

All,

I've read a lot about pocket carry, and it seems that *most* consider single-stack 9mm semi-automatic pistols (e.g. Glock 43, Ruger LC9, Smith & Wesson Shield, etc) to be slightly too large for pocket carry. The only exception seems to be the Kahr PM9/CM9.

However, *most* also consider a lightweight revolver (e.g. Ruger LCR, Smith & Wesson J-frame) to be ideal for pocket carry. (One even called the Smith & Wesson 442 the "king of pocket carry".)

I don't understand:

What's going on?
    1. Sure, the LCR is bigger, but it's less "boxy" and looks less like a gun in someone's front pocket?
    2. Sure, the LCR is bigger, but it weighs a lot less than an LC9?
    3. Revolver guys tend to be "old school" -- so even though revolvers are empirically bigger, they just like their perceived advantages (e.g. simplicity, ability to fire within the pocket, etc)?

Not trying to start a flame war or get into a revolver vs. semi-auto debate. Genuinely trying to understand what's going on here -- why is it "conventional wisdom" that the LC9 is too big for pocket carry, but the LCR is ideal?

Very Respectfully,
    butlers

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Honestly, I am not much for any pocket carry that prints or takes some twist-turning to get outa the pocket.

I could cargo-carry my G26, but that sum-B banged around like a bull in a china shop.

I regularly carry a Taurus PT-22 as a BUG; goes into the front Right pocket and that's the only thing that goes in there.

But, it is purely as a backup; the P-07 will play the primary role. It would take some drastic ideology to go through 34 rounds of 9mm and still need the 8 rounds in the BUG.

ETA: To your actual Question/points:
    I believe it may be a preferential item. Some people don't like carrying firearms without safeties, but will carry a revolver in a holster that has no safety.

Some people will say the J-Frame is great, but the Semi's are not. Some would say why pocket carry 5/6 when you can carry 8-10 in a semi?

It's all preference and it depends on our mindsets. I would be willing to bet we would all be surprised at how "down-the-middle" these mentalities would be if we could get honest survey of those who pocket carry any type of firearm.

Hell, my original CCW trainer insisted that revolvers where SHITE and that he watched many freeze up on the users. Between pocket lint and "cold conditions", he said he refuses to trust a revolver for anything.

Not my words, and I didn't believe him then, don't believe him now. I am sure he has seen, statistically, as many stoppages with Semis as he has Revolvers; but, because they're less common, those moments stand out to him.

Point to this story: Don't listen to "most" people. There is validity in someone's perception; but it doesn't have to be your perception. If it works for you, it doesn't matter what most do or say.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-31-18 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    Look at the shape of the images you posted. See the rear of the guns? The LCR is the one most likely to smoothly come out the pocket, and without taking the pocket holster with it.

Also, unlike those auto's, the magazine button will never get depressed randomly while in the pocket resulting in a single shot before a stoppage.

And, when contact distance is involved, the LCR can be pushed hard into a BG and fired repeatedly. The autos will not.

There are pro's and con's to each.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I believe it may be a preferential item.
    I guess so? I think it's a matter of coming to conclusions first, then trying to justify our thoughts in retrospect.

If I were to generalize, revolver folks tend to be old-school traditionalists. They've settled on the idea of a small revolver as the "perfect" pocket gun, so will justify their decision by saying that these small semi-autos are too big (even though actual measurements might disagree with them).

In contrast, semi-auto folks tend to be younger and more pragmatic? So they're constantly on the lookout for the new and shiny (the Sig P365 being the latest and greatest pocket carry....)

There I go again, offending everyone =P

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Look at the shape of the images you posted. See the rear of the guns? The LCR is the one most likely to smoothly come out the pocket, and without taking the pocket holster with it.
    I see. So it's not just length x width x height, but shape. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Also, unlike those auto's, the magazine button will never get depressed randomly while in the pocket resulting in a single shot before a stoppage. And, when contact distance is involved, the LCR can be pushed hard into a BG and fired repeatedly. The autos will not. There are pro's and con's to each.
    Oh, for sure. Not discounting that there are pros and cons to each; was just trying to answer the question:
    - why do revolver guys say that revolvers are a perfect size for pocket carry
    - whereas semi-auto guys say that single stacks like the G43, LC9s, Shield, etc say that they're too big for pocket carry

You answered the question. It's not so much overall size, but shape.

(That and the revolver guys are just old-school and want to justify their decisions....)
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards."
    William Francis Butler

Feedback Score
    Everyone tries to justify their decisions. I can even justify what I had for lunch.

Why, some people even start a discussion with the premise of telling people who carry revolvers they are wrong. Maybe it's for purely altruistic reasons?

But that's okay with me or I wouldn't have responded.

I don't think revolvers are the perfect size for pocket carry. They are a little big. I even started a thread about the need for a revolver being a little smaller and learned about the S&w "I frame".

I also agree the G43, Sheild, and LC9 are too big for pocket carry. As noted, it's not just the concealment but also the weight and ease of draw.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    There is validity in someone's perception; but it doesn't have to be your perception. If it works for you, it doesn't matter what most do or say.
    Quite honestly, this is all that matters.

Feedback Score
    Once a person decides guns the size of the G43 are too big they may consider smaller auto's but feel .380 and down isn't enough power. So then what?

You arrive at .327 /.38 / .357 revolvers.

I like this class of revolvers but I also like the smaller auto's. In fact I usually carry a Beretta Jetfire .25 instead of my LCR .357.

And in retrospect, I think I would have gone with the .327 mag. 6 shots and I could carry /shoot .32 Long, .32 mag, and .327 mag. All those ammo ' s are expensive, though.

Feedback Score
    If I am not going to be in a high risk environment, and the weather is hotterthen I routinely will pocket carry a glock 26 with a glock 19 mag in the pistol in a pocket holster. It is comfortable and easy to hold for shooting. In BDU pants which is what I wear if I am not going to a meeting that requires a suit, the cargo pocket keeps everything from printing into a pistol shape.
    Last edited by yoni; 06-01-18 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention that my pocket guns are carried in addition to a belt gun over 99% of the time out in public.

Feedback Score
    I'm a revolver man through and through, and a Single Action man at that. But the fact is, most handguns considered for defense are as reliable as humanly possible to make them. The modern autos are of two kinds, the older tried and true designs of steel and wood construction, and the newer polymer guns. Both have very good track records. Those that do malfunction usually fail because of poor quality ammunition or poor handling by the owner. The auto pistol is a little more likely to malfunction as a result of the owner's mis-handling.

The revolver can be made to break down through faulty handling, but it does have the ability to continue firing in the case of a mis-fire due to a bad primer or dud round, without any "clearing" on the part of the user.

The bottom line is to make your selection, learn to use it properly, and practice to become proficient with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast