Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCG Not Functioning Properly

Feedback Score

BCG Not Functioning Properly

I built an AR Pistol recently and have had no problems with it. This past week I installed a new pistol brace, the SBA3, which comes with a mil-spec carbine receiver extension. I went to the range today, and my BCG would just not function properly. It wouldn't travel far enough back to insert a round from any of my mags and it also wouldn't go far enough back for my bolt catch to be able to lock the bolt back. The only way it would shoot is if I pulled the charging handle back far enough to slide one round in.

This is my first AR, so I'm still relatively new to all the parts. I read another thread that said it might be because my buffer spring isn't meant for the tube that came with the pistol brace.

I have a complete BCM upper. VLTOR Charging Handle. VLTOR A5 Pistol Buffer Kit. All of this on an Aero lower and Geissele LPK.

I wasn't for sure if I should post this in the General Discussion or Technical Discussion, but I figured it would be seen first here.

I have a rifle class next weekend, so I would really like to have this figured out soon.

bcg2.jpgbcg3.jpgbcg1.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The A5 uses a rifle spring. the tube you are using is for carbine springs. You can do one of a few things.

1. Get a carbine spring and buffer
    2. Get an A5 tube and use the correct spring and buffer.
    Last edited by Costellow; 06-01-18 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    Do you think that will definitely fix the problem? This pistol brace came attached to the carbine receiver extension, so I don't believe it can be changed out.

Would that mean I just need to buy a new spring? Also, what are some recommended carbine springs? The SpringCo blue spring is the only one I have come across in my short time searching.
    Last edited by lajs1; 06-01-18 at 19:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The sba3 should be able to come off, as it shows it apart in the installation video.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/resource...llation-video/

If you kept the tube that it came with, you would need a new buffer AND spring.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get a carbine spring and buffer. That would be the easiest fix.
    Last edited by kirkland; 06-01-18 at 19:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The best long term solution is to install an A5 RE, especially with the A5H2 buffer and the Sprinco green spring when you get a chance to buy one. Changing REs isn't difficult.

If you decide to stick with the carbine RE that came with the SBA3 (currently my favorite arm brace) use an H2 buffer and a carbine spring, preferably the Sprinco blue spring.

lajs1, if you are using an A5 buffer in the carbine receiver extension, it won't let the carrier travel far enough to operate correctly. Did you see if the action would lock back on an empty mag when manually manipulated? When expereincing problems with an AR, the first thing you should do is perform a lock back check, manually first, then with a single round in the mag.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Did you assemble the bolt in the BCG correctly? There isn't much you can do wrong but make sure it is all working smoothly. Take the bolt out and see if it locks up in battery without the bolt carrier. If it does it probably isn't the barrel or the barrel extension. Do you have a flat top or low profile gas block? Make sure the gas block isn't on backwards, if it is your gas tube will be too out of position (back towards the stock as the roll pin is back instead of forward towards the muzzle) and it will bottom out the bolt carrier. In fact I am gonna guess this is highly possible in the case if nothing else seems off.

Feedback Score
    You need either carbine buffer, spring, and tube.

Or A5 buffer, spring, and tube. You cannot mix and match parts.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Get a carbine spring and buffer. That would be the easiest fix.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Make sure you get at least an H1 carbine buffer. H2 as mist indicated above would be the better choice but done use a straight up carbine weight buffer. Sprinco blue works well. I would recommend that also.

Let us know how it goes.
    Philippians 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast