Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help picking 11.5" barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Help picking 11.5" barrel

Hi group, I've having a difficult time picking an 11.5" 5.56 barrel for an upcoming pistol build. I will admit that I don't know alot about how the gas port size and gas configuration (middy vs carbine, etc) plays into everything 100%.

I think I'm probably willing to go mid-range pricewise on something like this. I don't mind getting something a little nicer than Ballistic Advantage if the barrel is definitely nicer. I've seen Triarc and Sionics mentioned a bit. Is the Faxon Gunner worth looking at all?

FWIW, I have a Odin O2Lite 9.5" handguard so hopefully that will cover up the gas block in whatever barrel I choose. I will eventually be running this firearm suppressed, but haven't purchased 30 cal rifle can yet, so I'm guessing an adjustable gas block will be something I will want to get.

This will be just a fun range toy and maybe something I'd take a class or two with.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I used a 11.5" CHF Spike's FN barrel once for a pistol build with good results. I never ran it suppressed, but it seemed to eat everything I fed it, including cheap UMC 223 ammo.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Can't go wrong with a DD, Centurion, FN, Colt, BCM 11.5 barrels. Pick one and just go with it. Run an A5H2 as a baseline and tune with your adj. gas block. I had no issues with the Sionics I had for a while either. I don't think you can go wrong with picking one of the more quality manufacturers out there these days. If you were not running an adj gas block the search would get smaller.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 06-03-18 at 19:06. Reason: Grammer
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Noveske 11.5.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    BA Hanson 11.3” has been magical for me. It’s light, but...I’m not running at full auto. With an ALG EMR and SI J-Comp, it feels weightless and nearly recoilless.
    With an H buffer, it cycled everything - Federal 55gr 223, Hornady SBR Interlock HD, Speer Gold Dot, and Black Hills 77gr OTM - flawlessly. I haven’t put in my H2 buffer as the above poster suggested.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    At 11.5” you have some options. Since you will not be shooting at 300 yard targets, most will work. I prefer Colt or LMT on anything under 14.5”

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I have just recently started using a Faxon Gunner 11.5", it is a Middy, but so far using my favorite "lets see if this thing will run" ammo Tula, it runs really well, in addition it runs well with a SiCo Hybrid and not too gassy as either, less then a DD MK18 with the same can, but more than my BCM 14.5"

I know that Middy is a short gas system for a 11.5" and that it does have a larger gas port, and they recommend an adjustable gas block. Unfortunately due to the rail I wanted to use, URX2 Mid, and its not working well with the Mid length gas system, I didnt think about it when I got the barrel, I had to make a gas block fit better, so I had to use a regular Gas Block, and was not able to use an adjustable one; I am not gonna file, grind and sand a $60+ gas block to try something out.
    Last edited by Sierrahotel83; 06-04-18 at 08:49. Reason: wording
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrahotel83 View Post
    I have just recently started using a Faxon Gunner 11.5", it is a Middy, but so far it uses my favorite "lets see if this thing will run" ammo Tula, it runs well with Tula, and with a SiCo Hybrid it runs well and not too gassy as well, less then a DD MK18 with the same can, but more than my BCM 14.5"

I know that Middy is a short gas system for a 11.5" and that it does have a larger gas port, and they recommend an adjustable gas block. Unfortunately due to the rail I wanted to use, URX2 Mid, and its not working well with the Mid length gas system, I didnt think about it when I got the barrel, I had to make a gas block fit better, so I had to use a regular Gas Block, and was not able to use an adjustable one; I am not gonna file, grind and sand a $60+ gas block to try something out.
    I'm not sure I understood your post in its' entirety, does your rifle function OK without the suppressor attached, or does it need to be attached for it to operate properly?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I'm not sure I understood your post in its' entirety, does your rifle function OK without the suppressor attached, or does it need to be attached for it to operate properly?

Ok when I reread it it is rather confusing, yes it runs very well both with and without the suppressor. using an H buffer.

I really need to check the ejection pattern, but it ran very well either way.
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    IMO, Faxon is on par with Ballistic Advantage. Maybe less.

I vote Sionics reduced gas port barrel. No adj gas block, no tinkering, no extra parts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast