Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPR finished + range report.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I echo bp’s sentiments.

Additionally, I can shoot 5 round groups in the threes with my SPR at 200 all day long. The issue is not so much the quality of gun or shooter, but handloads.

For reference, at 600y with factory BH match I shoot about 10” groups. With my (Onyx/marks handload recipe) loads that shrinks to under 5”.

Try working up some handloads and you’ll see those shrink in half. Factory match ammo sucks for serious .223/5.56 precision work.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I echo bp’s sentiments.

Additionally, I can shoot 5 round groups in the threes with my SPR at 200 all day long. The issue is not so much the quality of gun or shooter, but handloads.

For reference, at 600y with factory BH match I shoot about 10” groups. With my (Onyx/marks handload recipe) loads that shrinks to under 5”.

Try working up some handloads and you’ll see those shrink in half. Factory match ammo sucks for serious .223/5.56 precision work.
    I’d love to venture into handloading, I just don’t have the space or time currently. I will down the road, for sure.

I went again last weekend. Hit just under 3/4 with 77gr Gorilla ammo. Best one yet. Shot some more Fiocchi, as well as some Federal 77gr. Groups tightened up a bit more overall, but the Gorilla 77gr was the best. I failed to snap some pics. I am more than impressed with this build so far.
    Last edited by Endur; 07-08-18 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I also lack the time/space to work up a good handload for an SPR. But if the combination of you, your barrel, and your shooting position is bringing you .75 MOA, then you're well on your way. It could be that your barrel just needed a slight break-in to come into form, or maybe you just got used to the rifle. And like others have said, groups make great pictures on the internet, but first round impacts are what really counts. Nice looking build.

Feedback Score
    That's good shooting with factory ammo and trigger. Good looking beast also. I just scored a Larue two stage trigger for $87 plus about $7 shipping. I have two Gisselle triggers a Rock River and Ruger 452 just thought I'd try the Larue next and at that price why not. A decent trigger will most definitely improve accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    I also lack the time/space to work up a good handload for an SPR. But if the combination of you, your barrel, and your shooting position is bringing you .75 MOA, then you're well on your way. It could be that your barrel just needed a slight break-in to come into form, or maybe you just got used to the rifle. And like others have said, groups make great pictures on the internet, but first round impacts are what really counts. Nice looking build.

Endur:
    "I’d love to venture into handloading, I just don’t have the space or time currently. I will down the road, for sure.

I went again last weekend. Hit just under 3/4 with 77gr Gorilla ammo. Best one yet. Shot some more Fiocchi, as well as some Federal 77gr. Groups tightened up a bit more overall, but the Gorilla 77gr was the best. I failed to snap some pics. I am more than impressed with this build so far."
    Nice rifle and set-up.

How do you like the NF NXS 2x10 24mm scope?

You guys should really look into reloading. You don't need a ton of equipment to start out. I used a LEE handloader, .223 dies, Lyman tumbler, and Lyman hand tools that all fit into a shoe box, except for the tumbler. The LEE handloader and dies cost about $90.00. I was really surprised how accurately some of those reloaded rounds shot.

Obviously the more equipment and better tools will let you produce more rounds with less effort.

I've since purchsed several presses, additional dies, digital & mechanical scales, case trimmers, and other tools to make the process easier. My next purchase is likely a Dillon progressive press. Reloading becomes a hobby in itself.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Been exceptionally busy in the academy so my response is a little late.

I really like the optic for being my first magnified optic outside M145's and Acogs I used on occasion in the Army. The sight picture and reticle is very clear and crisp. The built in throw level is really handy when adjusting magnification. I have not played around with the zero stop yet but will get around to it after more time and understanding the pros and cons of it. I want to get it out to some longer ranges but there are not any ranges out here past 200 yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12