Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructor certification options other than NRA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Instructor certification options other than NRA

What firearms instructor certifications other than the NRA carry some weight? My current employer uses the NRA Basic Rifle, Basic Pistol and Basic Shotgun as the standards for basic employment, and then all of us instructors have to be NRA certified instructors. I really don't care for the Basic classes, although I'll accept that they give a basic foundation to people so that everyone is on the same page. The problem is that they are a) too basic as firearms experience is a job prerequisite and b) not flexible. As an instructor, I think the NRA instructor portal is pretty poor, and I despise using it.

What I'm looking for are reasons that I can articulate to drop the NRA, as well as reasons that the such-and-such training certification is equal to or better than NRA. Something like NAUI vs PADI for scuba diving.

Thanks in advance for all of your professional opinions!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Unless there is something that I am entirely unaware of (possible), this is an area that is seriously lacking for us. I've seen a few "instructor" courses, one from Pat Mac I think and some from Tom Givens but that's about it. It would be awesome to have something more established but I haven't seen anything else outside of dedicated MIL/LE courses. Interested to see if anyone else has.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Are you law enforcement?

If so check into NTOA and FLETC. As long as it's through your agency/company you shouldn't have an issue with FLETC.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-21-18 at 21:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    What firearms instructor certifications other than the NRA carry some weight? My current employer uses the NRA Basic Rifle, Basic Pistol and Basic Shotgun as the standards for basic employment, and then all of us instructors have to be NRA certified instructors. I really don't care for the Basic classes, although I'll accept that they give a basic foundation to people so that everyone is on the same page. The problem is that they are a) too basic as firearms experience is a job prerequisite and b) not flexible. As an instructor, I think the NRA instructor portal is pretty poor, and I despise using it.

What I'm looking for are reasons that I can articulate to drop the NRA, as well as reasons that the such-and-such training certification is equal to or better than NRA. Something like NAUI vs PADI for scuba diving.

Thanks in advance for all of your professional opinions!
    To whom does your employer deliver training? There is something to be said for having the weight of the NRA behind you in terms of general acceptance.

On the civilian side I really don't know of any organizations that have a similar program ready for consumption by the masses.

While working for my former employer I was able to develop and present numerous instructor level firearms programs. I was able to do that because I had the backing of my employer, a state agency, and the background in the subjects, which they helped me obtain.

On of the things that instructors need to constantly remember is that if you say it in front of a class, you own it.

That is the attraction for many of the canned program. There is a degree of safety for a business in following a presentation put together by someone such as the NRA - it is a generally accepted source.

In addition to the LE-related instructor courses I've attended, I'm also an NRA basic pistol, rifle and shotgun instructor. So I feel your pain. What I would suggest is that you leave the base NRA material in place, and flesh it out. Update the lesson plan and document any changes you make. Have an SME look at it and give their approval. Make sure you cover the NRA Material so you can legitimately give them the NRA cert, then develop a cert for what you've added.

I'd caution, don't get caught in the trap of shoving inappropriate material into the program to show the breadth of your knowledge or to satisfy student's Walter Mitty yearnings. Know the reason you teach everything you add to the program and be able to explain it's inclusion in objective terms.

Good luck.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NRA certifications are the most universally understood and accepted instructor credentials. Facilities, insurers, employers, and curriculum either require them or more favorably respond to them, even with their fleas. Get them in the disciplines you need and maintain them. You needn't use NRA courses exclusively.

Other possibilities:
    Your state LE instructor certification, as well as FLETC, NTOA, FBI, etc. You need a LE affiliation or sponsorship for most.
    Tom Givens Rangemaster Instructor Development Course: http://rangemaster.com/training/inst...opment-course/
    USCCA instructor course: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tra...ed-instructor/
    Manufacturer instructor training, may have LE/gov/industry stipulations. Example: https://www.glocktraining.com/files/IW_Course.pdf
    Sigarms Academy: https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/cour...or-development
    Strategos, International - various firearms instructor development courses, not all have LE pre-reqs: https://www.strategosintl.com/tactical/#descriptions
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    NRA certifications are the most universally understood and accepted instructor credentials. Facilities, insurers, employers, and curriculum either require them or more favorably respond to them, even with their fleas. Get them in the disciplines you need and maintain them. You needn't use NRA courses exclusively.

Other possibilities:
    Your state LE instructor certification, as well as FLETC, NTOA, FBI, etc. You need a LE affiliation or sponsorship for most.
    Tom Givens Rangemaster Instructor Development Course: http://rangemaster.com/training/inst...opment-course/
    USCCA instructor course: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tra...ed-instructor/
    Manufacturer instructor training, may have LE/gov/industry stipulations. Example: https://www.glocktraining.com/files/IW_Course.pdf
    Sigarms Academy: https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/cour...or-development
    Strategos, International - various firearms instructor development courses, not all have LE pre-reqs: https://www.strategosintl.com/tactical/#descriptions
    Good info, thanks for a couple of those ideas.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks everyone for the quick and useful replies. I guess I didn’t set up the entire scenario completely or fairly for you guys. I am retired LE and believe it or not, I’m -more- hesitant to give my complete job description or employer now than even before as LE. ST1911, that’s good thinking on the manufacturer training, I do have some armorer certs, I can look for more shooting classes that may be helpful towards my goal.

Ultimately, I’m looking to train other employees in non-defensive use of firearms. Not LE or CCW. But important nonetheless. Administration has some idea that NRA curriculum gives some sort of credibility, but it just doesn’t teach what needs to be taught. 26 Inf I really like your idea about fleshing out the NRA courses with more job related and real world info, but that’s what we do with on the job training. What I want to get rid of is the wasted 26 hours of NRA required basic shit that could be taught to these guys in 4 hours just to make sure they have the same basics and attitude.

If anybody has more thoughts, please feel free to PM. I’m not concerned with you all knowing about me or my job, I’m concerned about google searches and web crawlers and posting stuff that’s here forever...

Feedback Score
    Sage Dynamics offers an Instructor Development Course. It is not "certified" but Aaron Cowan is a well respected instructor and this course goes into how a trainer should develop his training program and takes considerations many classes probably do not such as how adults learn, public speaking, liability as well as actual training scenarios. Might be worth a look

https://www.sagedynamics.org/untitled-sitepage_10

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I took an NRA LEO handgun instructor class in 2010. It was very good. Their LEO classes are not the same as the civilian. I completed a LEO patrol rifle/ handgun class this past May at centermass inc. Very good class also.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgm View Post
    I took an NRA LEO handgun instructor class in 2010. It was very good. Their LEO classes are not the same as the civilian. I completed a LEO patrol rifle/ handgun class this past May at centermass inc. Very good class also.jpgm
    For NRA LE training, try to get Mark Fricke as your instructor. Jody Long is also GTG.
    The Centermass patrol rifle class was good.

For those who qualify, the easiest path to a stack of NRA creds is a LE course, followed by the validation process to the "civilian" certs.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast