Thread: Magpul 7.62 AICS and COAL?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Magpul 7.62 AICS and COAL?

Hey all,

I have googled 8 ways to Sunday and haven't come up with an answer. I just switched out my stock on a R700 in .308 to use a Mesa Tactical bottom metal for detachable mag. I load 175 SMK's .020 off the lands and cannot load the magazine as the rounds are touching the inside of the mag and get stuck. Has anyone reliably sanded the inside of the magazine to allow for a greater overall length? At some point I am going to end up chasing the lands I would think so will need a little extra room. I am wondering how much room I could create.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Vegas; 06-04-18 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    You are someone limited here. I wouldn't do any sanding, but that's me. You have a few options.. DSSF mags get to 2.9 if I remember correctly. Alpha type 2 get you to 2.97 I believe.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 06-04-18 at 19:13.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks. I'll check those out. I took a closer look and I agree, there doesn't seem to be enough there to take down. I sanded some which helped a little but nowhere enough so I gave up.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    You are someone limited here. I wouldn't do any sanding, but that's me. You have a few options.. DSSF mags get to 2.9 if I remember correctly. Alpha type 2 get you to 2.97 I believe.
    I ended up ordering an Alpha Type 2 tonight, 2.965 according to the website. My load is 2.89 give or take for bullet variation. I'll save the Magpul for factory ammo I guess.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I ended up ordering an Alpha Type 2 tonight, 2.965 according to the website. My load is 2.89 give or take for bullet variation. I'll save the Magpul for factory ammo I guess.
    Awesome. Yea I thought they were in that ballpark. Hopefully they work well. I'm always wanting to be in the .020 ballpark off the lands but sometimes you just can't get there. Keep us posted.

Feedback Score
    308 shooting 175 smk you should be fine with the jump. You shouldn't get much throat wear. Smk don't mind a jump, now Berger vld, those like to be .003 in the land.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've always had better luck not jumping the SMK with my particular R700 but have some shorter stuff loaded to give it a try again.

The Alpha mag came in today. Little slow to ship but from handling appears worth the wait. Feels very solid, looks well formed and coated. Max coal is 2.97, these are at 2.95.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I've always had better luck not jumping the SMK with my particular R700 but have some shorter stuff loaded to give it a try again.

The Alpha mag came in today. Little slow to ship but from handling appears worth the wait. Feels very solid, looks well formed and coated. Max coal is 2.97, these are at 2.95.

Awesome. Hope it works out well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This seems to be a constant battle. It makes one wonder why they bottom metal people , mag builders and gun builders don't consider this. I had a Tikka 22-250 with long action, no issues there LOL

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"